Dangerous Crossing - Silkmore Lane, West Horsley, Surrey

Post your planned rides here. Or request a leader for a ride.
steve sharp
LIFE member

Dangerous Crossing - Silkmore Lane, West Horsley, Surrey

Postby steve sharp » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:10 pm

Hi,

There is a dangerous crossing on Silkmore Lane, West Horsley, Surrey. The access road to the Cricket Club crosses the Byway, near the railway end of the Byway, be careful and slow right down to ensure there are no cars crossing.

There are signs on the access road telling the drivers to stop and signs on the Byway warning about the crossing, but recently a car driver hit one of our trail riders.

Take care.

Steve
Attachments
Silkmore Lane.PNG

ktm kid
250cc Trail Rider

Re: Dangerous Crossing - Silkmore Lane, West Horsley, Surrey

Postby ktm kid » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:58 pm

Yes 100% keep your eyes wide open as we did not see anything... tell was to late...And also looks to be a very biz crossing... on weekends.....
Big boys toys ☺

Billy
woz bus pass

Postby Billy » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:25 am

Could it be worth writing to/e.mailing the Cricket club and expressing our concerns ? They are the only ones who use that access road , perhaps some of their members are not aware of the priority at that junction.

Hopefully Luke will get a massive damages claim payout , nothing will make them more aware than taking a hit on their bank account.

ShaunGASGAS300
350cc Veteran

Postby ShaunGASGAS300 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:40 pm

It was an RTA so insurers will pay out. Won't effect the clubs bank at all sadly.

coolhand
350cc Veteran

Postby coolhand » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:03 pm

Hi All,

I've spoken with the Surrey Country Council and they were very nice and easy to talk to, they are aware of the dangers of this crossing.

They said they will be contacting the Cricket Club, having said that the cricket club have already put up massive clear stop signs on their driveway in both directions, if some 19 year old kid flies through in their car and ignores them what more can they do, its pure negligence on his behalf.

I am still waiting to see if he will be prosecuted and I will be seeking damages from his insurance as he is liable and not the cricket club themselves. I am sure it will take me years, the bike damage and loss of earnings should not take so long but injury pain and suffering etc will take a long time.

Looking forward to riding again as soon as I can.
Cheers
Luke A

TonyR
400cc Thumper

Postby TonyR » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:08 pm

I used Silkmore lane twice yesterday whilst leading a run and was very cautious approaching the crossroads where Luke had his accident.
I'm pleased to report that the signage on the lane was clear to see, and the gates for the access road to the cricket club on either side of the lane were firmly shut!

stevent
750 flat tracker

Postby stevent » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:37 pm

Fair weather types, the golfers

coolhand
350cc Veteran

Postby coolhand » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:11 pm

I think the gates are always closed unless there is a cricket match on, so anyone using this lane keep your eye out for open gates, if they are open stop or slow right down to a crawl.

I'm injured for the rest of my life due to that 19 year old boy flying across that crossroads....

Luke A

TonyR
400cc Thumper

Postby TonyR » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:06 pm

My point was simply that, hopefully, both the cricket club and the council have taken some action to be more responsible at this junction since Luke's accident, as in my experience having used this lane on many occasions over the past few years the signage was obscured by foliage and the gates were permanently open.
Please take care!

Return to “Rides & Meets”