Sunday 17th September - Hindhead to South Downs - Inbetweeners Level

Post your planned rides here. Or request a leader for a ride.
Bush Pig
250cc Trail Rider

Re: Sunday 17th September - Hindhead to South Downs - Inbetweeners Level

Postby Bush Pig » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:32 pm

Another epic ride Steve, thanks.
Great fun on the lanes today, Butser Hill was particularly fun on the wet chalk!

Great to hear Derek's phone has been found. Good riding by all - thoroughly knackered now.

John

buzzigirl
120cc Thumpstar Pro

Postby buzzigirl » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:16 am

Wow, thank you very much for leading and organizing the ride Steve, it was truly an amazing experience, wet, slippery chalk paths , rock fall-like big steps (had some help here, thank you guys) leading to and from Butser Hill and some of those hills....

It was deffo a wide-eyed frog moment of total 'oh my god you got to be kidding me' and at times I had the I can't do it, yes you can, no I cant...harrumph! Okies, let think about it and 'go' moments. This is when you've really start to believe in your bike and 'Snappy' did get me out of trouble a lot of times....(yes my bike has a name, its a girl thing)....

I was asked after a few lanes for those who are into emoji's - did I have a smiley face or grimacing face? And a round of applause after a certain rocky hill climb that was big smiley face!

Thank you everyone for a truly, amazing ride and teamwork and we got to see the sea on a sunny day too!

Ps. That is a real relief regards to the phone.....

steve sharp
LIFE member

Postby steve sharp » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:31 am

Hi,

I thoroughly enjoyed the ride, some amazing lanes down there. Thanks to everyone for being so supportive of each other and great people to ride with.

The wet chalk hills and rocky climbs can be very challenging. I made it an Inbetweeners level ride to give newer members the experience of that area as it's so good. Maybe it is a bit too challenging as Inbetweeners ride. I think I need to be more descriptive of my rides in future. Welcome thoughts from people.

Fantastic news about the phone.

Thanks
Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trickey
350cc Veteran

Postby trickey » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:58 am

Great ride out Steve. Thanks for leading, great group of people. Good news on the phone too.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

buzzigirl
120cc Thumpstar Pro

Postby buzzigirl » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:42 am

Steve, we think its fine 'inbetweeners level' and no need for explanation...deffo less longer stops than beginners and more challenging and this is great for those who want to better their skills. I've learnt so much in the past 9 months and you wouldn't believe how much you guys are helping me generally.....love the challenges both mentally and physically and after when the adrenaline has stopped, its the contemplating and repairing time and being ready for the next run....thank you :D

Toppsoff
250cc Trail Rider

Postby Toppsoff » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:26 pm

It was a great ride which was made up of good company, challenging circumstances and camaraderie.
There were clearly different levels of ability in the group but it didn't necessarily matter on this occasion. We all had a great day.

That said, it does pose some questions for me.

1 - is there an appetite for more runs supported by the TRF? Are people simply really keen to get out that they jump on any available ride that is posted for a day they're free? Remember your run was over subscribed, and made up of some who asked to be a reserve. I know you've asked a lot about Run leader training. Does this need more of a push?
2 - are the runs being made available of a varying level? There seem to be a number of runs available for beginners in the forum, but for the other levels, not so much.
3 - Is the description of runs as good as it can be? My understanding is we have three levels of run. Could this be improved with a clear description of what each means. As a TFT most of the runs are planned. We know that what is expected as the experienced leaders have done them so often. Ski runs are categorised in colours, climbs are classed in numbers. What could we learn here on the runs we offer? The run you planned in mid summer could easily have been 'in betweeners' but on that day was possibly different.

Please do take the comments above in the spirit they're meant and I suspect none of the above is new to the membership......

James Toppsoff

burls
400cc Thumper

Postby burls » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:00 pm

Toppsoff wrote:It was a great ride which was made up of good company, challenging circumstances and camaraderie.
There were clearly different levels of ability in the group but it didn't necessarily matter on this occasion. We all had a great day.

That said, it does pose some questions for me.

1 - is there an appetite for more runs supported by the TRF? Are people simply really keen to get out that they jump on any available ride that is posted for a day they're free? Remember your run was over subscribed, and made up of some who asked to be a reserve. I know you've asked a lot about Run leader training. Does this need more of a push?
2 - are the runs being made available of a varying level? There seem to be a number of runs available for beginners in the forum, but for the other levels, not so much.
3 - Is the description of runs as good as it can be? My understanding is we have three levels of run. Could this be improved with a clear description of what each means. As a TFT most of the runs are planned. We know that what is expected as the experienced leaders have done them so often. Ski runs are categorised in colours, climbs are classed in numbers. What could we learn here on the runs we offer? The run you planned in mid summer could easily have been 'in betweeners' but on that day was possibly different.

Please do take the comments above in the spirit they're meant and I suspect none of the above is new to the membership......

As far as 3. is concerned....

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=575

Toppsoff
250cc Trail Rider

Postby Toppsoff » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:40 pm

Thanks.

James Toppsoff

steve sharp
LIFE member