Wisley Airfield, Elm Lane and Hyde Lane

News of Byways or UCRs under threat by selfish or boring people
19col58
350cc Veteran

Wisley Airfield, Elm Lane and Hyde Lane

Postby 19col58 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:55 pm

Reminder to bikers that Wisl.zip

Anyone seen this? How does this affect Elm Lane and Hyde Lane?

My own opinion would be that providing you are a) Road Legal
b) On a BOAT or ORPA
c) NOT causing a nuisance, alarm, distress etc.
and d) Complying with the directions of a Police Officer i.e. leaving when told to
then you should not have any problems but don't take my word for it.

Colin

silvergull
400cc Thumper

Re: Wisley Airfield, Elm Lane and Hyde Lane

Postby silvergull » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:45 am

Hi, cannot open the attachment, but assume its the same as the map in your post.
Not sure what your point is, but there is no legal byway, or green road, across the runway, this is a bridleway only. This was extinguished during the war, and has never been reinstated, as the airfield was in use for many decades post war. The green roads on either side are still open, which may. change when the site is developed, is that the sbject raised in the attachment? Thanks, Brian Cohen (ROR for Surrey.)
Beano: Appears on a Wednesday

GDAS
LIFE member

Re: Wisley Airfield: Elm Lane and Hyde Lane

Postby GDAS » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:42 am

Brian, I think the point is that byways Elm Lane and Hyde Lane, whilst they don't cross the runway, are nevertheless included in the curiously large area subject to the dispersal order. It's not inconceivable that a misinformed police officer, or even a local resident, might approach a trail rider on one of the byways and claim that they're not entitled to be there.

So I think Colin is right - it shouldn't affect our legal right to ride those lanes, but misunderstandings may arise, and therefore it's useful to be aware of the background. I've pasted below the text which accompanies the picture, from https://surrey.police.uk/news/reminder- ... -property/

Curiously the dispersal order is only valid until 6pm each day; roll on those long summer evenings :lol:

Graham
-----------------------------------------------------------------

We would like to remind anyone riding motorbikes on Wisley Airfield that it is private property and you do not have the permission of the landowner to use it for this purpose.

If you ride a motorbike on a bridleway you are committing a road traffic offence and will be dealt with robustly either by a Fixed Penalty Notice or a Section 59 Warning, which could result in your motorbike being seized.

A Dispersal Order was authorised under S34 of the Anti-Social Behaviour Crime and Policing Act 2014 on 19 January 2018 which is valid every day between 6am and 6pm.

This means we’ll be patrolling Wisley Airfield and have the power to direct you to leave the area, as defined on the map, if your presence or behaviour has resulted, or is likely to result, in a member of the public being harassed, intimidated, alarmed or distressed. Failure to leave the area, once directed, is an offence for which you can be arrested.

Guildford Sergeant Sam Barwood explained: “Wisley Airfield is frequently used by motorcyclists and quad bikers in an anti-social manner. They park their vehicles in Elm Lane and the surrounding areas and then access the airfield via bridleways and footpaths. We constantly receive reports that motorbikes and quad bikes are being ridden without due care and are excessively loud. We have also had numerous reported incidents of riders being abusive and threatening to local residents and users of the airfield and surrounding area.

“The message is clear – we will not tolerate anyone behaving in an anti-social manner and you will be dealt with robustly if you do.”

burls
400cc Thumper

Postby burls » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:36 pm

If the developer and Guildford Council have their way it will have thousands of houses on it before too long so probably not worth worrying about.

Weet-rider
250cc Trail Rider

Postby Weet-rider » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:35 pm

Thanks for the heads up, Colin. I would agree with the points you and Graham have made.
There has been a long standing problem with antisocial morons riding off-road bikes and quads on the land surrounding the airfield. I have spoken with irate landowners and nearby residents previously when riding Hyde Lane and have much sympathy with them for suffering the nuisance of this antisocial and illegal riding.
However reading the text of the police notice, "if your presence or behaviour has resulted, or is likely to result, in a member of the public being harassed, intimidated, alarmed or distressed", I don't see why a responsible rider who when confronted can clearly demonstrate a knowledge of the legal boundaries should refrain from riding the BOAT sections of Elm or Hyde Lanes.
Any intimidation by landowners, residents or the police of motorcyclists using these legal rights of way in a responsible manner would surely be harassment in itself.
Those intending to ride these lanes would be advised to carry a copy of the police notice and byway map with them should any confrontation occur.

silvergull
400cc Thumper

Postby silvergull » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:32 am

ok. I could not open the zip file, so thanks for copying that here. All land is owned by somebody, usually privately owned, but sometimes the council csn own the byway too. When is it sold, the byway itself can be part of the sale, but the statutory duties that landowners carry with regards to maintenance and legal access transfer, too. The statutory access rights remain in place. These can only be extinguished by a DMMO, or a TRO can limit access. Selling the land in itself does not alter the access rights.

Also, having looked at the area outlined, which is somewhat expansive, think it may really show only the general location area concerned, in general, but it surely cannot be implying that this total area is the subject of this dispersal. For example, it covers many private farms, houses, and even the A3 itself. My understanding is that its only the airfield itself which is to be developed, and only the airfield itself which is being referred to in the ilegal use claims.
Beano: Appears on a Wednesday

Return to “Political Rights Of Way News”