Newbie green laner - what kit do I need?

Using something that's clearly worth talking about? Share it.
Midlife Crisis Biker
50cc Fizzy

Newbie green laner - what kit do I need?

Postby Midlife Crisis Biker » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:43 am

Hello all,

I'm about to do some basic green laning, but could do with some suggestions as to what kit I need.

I have road gear, but know I need something different for off-road. Whilst good kit is of course vital, I don't want to spend a fortune until I know green laning is for me.

Any suggestions on what I need to get started? Any particular shops to use in Surrey/South London?

Is the No Fear stuff at Sports Direct worthwhile or rubbish?

All suggestions much appreciated?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gavinskii
400cc Thumper

Re: Newbie green laner - what kit do I need?

Postby gavinskii » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:46 pm

Hi,

I would say the 2 most important items are body armour and boots.

Dependant on your size I may have some stuff for you that I bought for my son (who is 6ft +), he went out once and decided it wasn't for him :o

I don't know about the No Fear stuff, so can't comment - however I know I started out with the hard armadillo style armour whilst I got into green landing, then switched to Forcefield which is mega comfortable and fits really nicely....however they are at different price points.

PM me if you want to know more

burls
400cc Thumper

Postby burls » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:51 pm

I would avoid the cheap stuff. When you take a hit, it can be quite hard, so anything pertaining to fashion is not going to be up to the job in my view. Don't rule our buying quality second hand gear (other than a helmet). One of my sets of Alpinestars boots are 10 years old and would still offer way more protection than road boots or a pair of DMs. As Gavin said hard armour can be bought second hand for next to nothing, as can decent boots. Buy a new helmet but you don't need to spend more than £40-£50 quid if you look around or your road helmet will be fine in the short term. Roads gloves are ok if a little hot. I would also get some cheap knee guards if your road gear doesn't have decent armour. Brand "EVS" is cheap and up to the job.

Billy
woz bus pass

Postby Billy » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:53 pm

Listen to Burls, what he doesn`t know about falling off isn`t worth knowing...............

Billy
woz bus pass

Postby Billy » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:57 pm

burls wrote:I would avoid the cheap stuff. When you take a hit, it can be quite hard, so anything pertaining to fashion is not going to be up to the job in my view. Don't rule our buying quality second hand gear (other than a helmet). One of my sets of Alpinestars boots are 10 years old and would still offer way more protection than road boots or a pair of DMs. As Gavin said hard armour can be bought second hand for next to nothing, as can decent boots. Buy a new helmet but you don't need to spend more than £40-£50 quid if you look around or your road helmet will be fine in the short term. Roads gloves are ok if a little hot. I would also get some cheap knee guards if your road gear doesn't have decent armour. Brand "EVS" is cheap and up to the job.

£40-£50 crash helmet, my head is worth way more than that to me.............

steve sharp
LIFE member

Postby steve sharp » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:42 pm

Hi,

You will also need knee protectors

and elbow protectors, if not part of the body armour.

Cheers
Steve

burls
400cc Thumper

Postby burls » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:48 am

Billy wrote:Listen to Burls, what he doesn`t know about falling off isn`t worth knowing...............

Ain't that the truth....

On helmets, those Bell "ends" that the distributor was selling cheap when they closed the Italian factory were £40. Beer Belly and I are both running around in them and we both have award winning minds.

Return to “Kit Recommendations”