Tyres and Mousses

Post and discuss good dirt bike shops and garages
G-Bru
You should've bought a KTM!

Tyres and Mousses

Postby G-Bru » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:33 pm

Time to fit the bike with some new boots. Can anybody recommend a tyre dealer in Surrey that can supply and fit Michelin tyres and mousses at a reasonable price?

TIA

G
Grant

KTM 250EXC SixDays

Billy
woz bus pass

Re: Tyres and Mousses

Postby Billy » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:57 pm

Elderfields in Farnham does mine, but he`s not everyones cup of tea..............

G-Bru

Postby G-Bru » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:08 pm

Thanks Steve, can you give a indication of cost?

G
Grant

KTM 250EXC SixDays

Billy
woz bus pass

Postby Billy » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:03 pm

It all depends on what he pays for them,if he gets a deal then you might.

kris
LIFE member

Postby kris » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:13 am

Watling tyres is Angold's place of choice to get them bought and fitted... but he does drive the wheels there and they fit them.

Or contact and talk to Hobbsie ... I think he would do a good side line in fitting them for TRF folks for some cash ...he knows his stuff and respects the bike.

steve sharp
LIFE member

Postby steve sharp » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:44 pm

I also use Elderfields in Farnham, been fine with me.

G-Bru

Postby G-Bru » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:14 pm

So was down in St Austells this week and saw a MX Shop in town and walked out with a Michelin Comp 3 rear and Comp 6 front tyres with appropriate ultra heavy duty tubes. Decided not to do the mousse thing for legal reasons and it seems like somewhat of a phaff! Would probably stick a pair on if I decided to do some events but for now I am satisfied with riding our trails.
The dude in the shop convinced me to also get a tyre changer/bead breaker so I can replace tyres myself. His explanation sounded simple enough, so why not!
Armed with some tips and footage from YouTube I cracked on with the task at hand. Front tyre first to get my head around it. Hmmm... some swearing getting the thing off, but learnt from the experience. Tyre now removed and prep new tyre with baby powder and bead cream. More swearing and grunting, but seemed to go on easy enough which filled me with confidence. Changed bearings seals and spacers whilst I was about it. Front complete and fitted in what felt like an hour.

The old rear came off pretty easy, but getting the New rear Comp 3 on was a ********, a lot more grunting and swearing! It was that last 2 inches of bead that was being a *****! Could not get my tyre lever in there either due to mounting the tyre sprocket side up. (Lesson learned)! Flipped tyre over and noticed that bead was seated so broke it flipped over and used my knees to get the remaining 2 inches over.

In summary, changing your own tyres is a pig, but with a little better knowledge, practice and technique I am sure it will become a lot easier, besides, IMO I think it's better doing things yourself, the experience and knowledge you gain from it is invaluable.

That being said there is no way in hell I would do it on a ride, that's what my £25 recovery insurance is for! ;) :lol:

For those of you that have, I tip my hat sir.

G
Grant

KTM 250EXC SixDays

Billy
woz bus pass

Postby Billy » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:58 pm

How much did you pay for your tyres, i had a michelin front on Friday £55 plus £10 to fit with my old moose which was fine.

G-Bru

Postby G-Bru » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:07 pm

Mr Braham you old wise monkey....... :D

Front Comp 6 was £52 and rear Comp 3 was £65. Good price me thinks? £42 for a pair of toooobs.

Back pain was free!

G
Grant

KTM 250EXC SixDays

big yellow tractor
400cc Thumper

Postby big yellow tractor » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:46 am

G-Bru wrote:In summary, changing your own tyres is a pig, but with a little better knowledge, practice and technique I am sure it will become a lot easier, besides, IMO I think it's better doing things yourself, the experience and knowledge you gain from it is invaluable.

That being said there is no way in hell I would do it on a ride, that's what my £25 recovery insurance is for! ;) :lol:

Would you really abandon a days riding rather than fix a puncture ? :shock:

With a little help from your fellow riders, you'll change a tube and be back on the bike before a recovery vehicle is even on the way to you.

Also, I can't ever remember getting a puncture while near a road; it's normally somewhere between a bog and a river crossing in the middle of nowhere :lol:

Beerbelly
750 flat tracker

Postby Beerbelly » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:23 am

I carry a can of tyre foam and an AA card. I would abandon a ride in winter if I punctured as time is limited and would not hold up fellow riders as not fair on them! In the summer it is different. Plenty of time as long days, the tyres are warm, the beads break whilst ridden and with some help from other more experienced members would have a bleeding good go at changing.

;)

G-Bru

Postby G-Bru » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:28 am

Charlie Soto wrote:I carry a can of tyre foam and an AA card. I would abandon a ride in winter if I punctured as time is limited and would not hold up fellow riders as not fair on them! In the summer it is different. Plenty of time as long days, the tyres are warm, the beads break whilst ridden and with some help from other more experienced members would have a bleeding good go at changing.

;)

+ 1

G
Grant

KTM 250EXC SixDays

Return to “Suppliers & Service”