Help needed - National TRF Forum & Our Group Activities

Need help using the forum? Speak here. Forum updates announced here too.
steve sharp
LIFE member

Help needed - National TRF Forum & Our Group Activities

Postby steve sharp » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:41 pm

Hi,

Many years ago we decided to create our own Surrey Forum as the national TRF forum could not support the functionality we required. There has been a lot of debate recently about groups not actively using the national TRF Forum.

I said that I would seek volunteers from our group to dip into the national TRF forum every few days to either update the national TRF forum with anything relevant or answer any queries that are posted that are relevant to our group.

I said that we need the surrey section of the TRF forum updated so it mirrors some of our sections. We can then add the Surrey Forum URL, notes and relevant information as a sticky plus anything new of interest so they can then come to our site.

I recommended that they enable Digests like our Forum. The webmaster liked the idea and hopefully they will enable that feature.

I know this sounds a bit like double handling, but our Forum is excellent, and this is really about making sure new members find our Forum easily and also update people who use only the TRF forum.

My aim is to make this as quick and easy as possible.

If you can spend a few minutes every few days please let me know.

Thanks
Steve

Dave
250cc

Re: Help needed - National TRF Forum & Our Group Activities

Postby Dave » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:07 am

Ive got two points for main trf forum.

- why not use an iframe on their website to display our forum on their website. That way when a user clicks on Surrey Trf section it loads our forum, embedded into the webpage. It would then mean the reader is still browsing the main Trf forum and as the same time our forum with all it's functionality; meaning also no need for duplicating content.

- Can they enable Tapatalk too? Since using this app I very rarely use my laptop to log on as its just so damn good. So good in fact I don't even use the digest anymore to keep up to date!

steve sharp
LIFE member

Postby steve sharp » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:50 pm

Good ideas Dave. I don't know, lets ask them... at the moment they don't have digests... Just PM'd the TRF forum master with your ideas...

steve sharp
LIFE member

Postby steve sharp » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:08 pm

Apparently they have tapatalk.

Havent had a response yet from the forum master

Dave
250cc

Postby Dave » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:44 am

That's fantastic, I'll have a meander over and have a ganders. Viewing on a PC was never easy.

steve sharp
LIFE member

Postby steve sharp » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:45 am

We discussed this at club night and few of the guys are going to help, thanks!
Dave also offered to help out the TRF main forum people.

I'm going to start populating our section and update the moaners on the TRF forum.

steve sharp
LIFE member

Postby steve sharp » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:14 pm

Dave,

I have nearly got all of the sections created, just waiting for one more then I can start populating and updating them. They have made me a moderator so I can create stickies etc.

However, I want to migrate the existing posts into the correct headings to tidy it up.. But do not have the technical know how.. I have asked if they will give you moderator rights and big favour here... if I identify the individual posts could you please transfer them across or if its simple show me how...

Thanks
Steve

Dave
250cc

Postby Dave » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:49 pm

It is fairly simple Steve. Hopefully they can make both Grant and I moderators as Grant is more active than I am on our forum.
Not that I don't love it here but I'm working on several projects at the moment, so if you're happy to write a list I will plough through at at the soonest opportunity :)

Dave
250cc

Postby Dave » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:17 pm

Steve,

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=258&p=2208#p2208

Will show you briefly how to do it. It's the same on the National Forum as they use the same software.

steve sharp
LIFE member

Postby steve sharp » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:26 pm

Thanks Dave

Return to “Forum Updates / Tutorials / Suggestions / Help”