There are now TEN temporary closures in Hampshire

News of Byways or UCRs under threat by selfish or boring people
Dave
250cc

Re: There are now TEN temporary closures in Hampshire

Postby Dave » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:38 am

Yeah i do see your points steve. Asking more of the council could force an immature response by them leaving the lane closed for the complete time period. Also if they are legally obliged to take them down and dont they will probably get away with breaking the law and the fuss around it might make them want to stop helping? But what you say, regarding the lack of signage making it look like its now open, is a very good angle to play with. Primarily i agree, it makes the lane look as though its been reopened. Secondarily you rode(?) this route accidentally, and based on feedback isnt dangerous in a way worth mentioning. Tertiarily, as previously mentioned, Joe Public who are thick as a plank are going to use these routea regardless without signage. Most will have a map and be innocently exploring our country, others will just be on a reccy and be looking for signs which arent there.

We can do so much, but we're still a tiny fraction of road users.

Treloen
LIFE member

Postby Treloen » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:25 pm

Billy wrote:Went to look at the Beacon Hill (Grayshott) lane today. No notices or barriers at either end, if you were not a TRF member and looked regularly on forum how would you know about a TRO. Is this why there is so much illegal riding going on, throwing fuel on the anti`s fire. We really have no chance if they are not going to play by the rules....................................

The Grayshott lane with the TRO is the one between Whitmore Vale and Hammer Lane (near Grayshott Hall), not the one from Beacon Hill to Whitmore Vale Road. It usually suffers from water erosion on the uphill part, but all appears to be particularly bad at the moment. There is a laminated A4 TRO notice on the signpost, which isn't obvious, but is there, at least for as long as the self-tapping screws hold it there!

There is also some completely thoughtless off-piste 4x4 damage around the stream in Whitmore Vale Road, opposite the end of the BH to WVR lane. It was absolutely pissing down with rain, so I didn't stop to take a photo on this occasion.

photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dave
250cc

Postby Dave » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:28 am

DEAR GOD NO! The stone has moved. Call the press, the police and the army, we've got one hell of a dangerous road here. I would advise that any of you who are also planning on walking your dogs, instead of riding, try walking them on the A3 as its much safer.

Beerbelly
750 flat tracker

Postby Beerbelly » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:11 am

Omg that is only half as dangerous as our road which is full of potholes. Maybe half the roads on surrey should be considered dangerous and shut down?

Billy
woz bus pass

Postby Billy » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:32 pm

Billy wrote:Went to look at the Beacon Hill (Grayshott) lane today. No notices or barriers at either end, if you were not a TRF member and looked regularly on forum how would you know about a TRO. Is this why there is so much illegal riding going on, throwing fuel on the anti`s fire. We really have no chance if they are not going to play by the rules....................................

Whoops that will be the wrong lane I was on...............

burls
400cc Thumper

Postby burls » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:12 pm

I reckon I could get over that damage safely. I knew that Lee Walters training would come in handy ;)

stevent
1150 adventurer

Postby stevent » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:24 pm

Ok so the Grayshott route is still closed, and there is water erosion damage. There is an A4 sign, though it could be missed by responsible riders.

The usual message then that we should not use the route until its reopened.

We'll carry on trying to get more information on all of these temporary closures, criteria for closing them, and when they'll reopen etc

Dave
250cc

Postby Dave » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:48 pm

Yes, interested to know the criteria. What is it about this road that's so threatening to road users?

Treloen
LIFE member

Postby Treloen » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:36 am

I'll go back and take a proper look at the damage further up the lane, if it ever stops raining. I got soaked in the 30 seconds that I was there the other morning. It must be great fun to be out on the bikes at the moment!

stevent
1150 adventurer

Postby stevent » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:57 pm

Dear All

I've periodically been checking the status of the various temporary closures. A few have reopened, but then more have been made so we're still on 8, or 16 if you count them by their individual names (some of these just join together into one route). I wrote to 1st October to HCC asking for an update but have not had a reply, I will follow up again.

If you want to look at where any of these byways are, you can find them on the online right of way map. Byways are brown, temp TROs are solid red.
http://localviewmaps.hants.gov.uk/Local ... OWOnline/#
And the temporary orders can be searched for by doing a keyword search for "BOAT" here:
http://www3.hants.gov.uk/publicnotices.htm

Going back to the last update of the list I put up in April:
Bentworth 27, 28 - now open to permit users (http://www3.hants.gov.uk/row/vehicles-row.htm)
Bentworth 23, Wield 19, 20 - closed - current closure is till 13 November - closure maybe extended - intention is to open to permit users.
Wield 17 - closed - current closure is till 13 March 2015
Grayshott 13 - closed - current closure is till 22 April 2015
Crondall 37, Cookham Village 12 - now open
Hook 1, Winchfield 14 - closed until 2 February 2015. (A permanent order has been made, but this exclude bikes)
Hawkley 745 - now open
NEWTON VALENCE BOAT 30 AND COLEMORE AND PRIORS DEAN BOAT 22 - closed until 17 July 2015

More recent closures:
Preston Candover BOAT 9 - closed until 13 April 2015
Buriton Boat 46 - closed until 29 April 2015
TUNWORTH BOAT 7, UPTON GREY BOAT 19, MAPLEDURWELL AND UP NATELY BOATS 22 AND 25, AND GREYWELL BOAT 20 - ("Five ways") - closed until 1 Feb 15

Despite the frustration and in some cases unfairness about some of these lengthy closures, as a responsible TRF member you should not use these routes. If its any consolation, we're not the only user group suffering. There are also 43 closure notices for footpaths, and 5 bridleways. Perhaps we should team up with the ramblers.

Dave
250cc

Postby Dave » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:20 pm

stevent wrote:Despite the frustration and in some cases unfairness about some of these lengthy closures, as a responsible TRF member you should not use these routes. If its any consolation, we're not the only user group suffering. There are also 43 closure notices for footpaths, and 5 bridleways. Perhaps we should team up with the ramblers.

On balance I find that quite interesting. How could one such as myself apply to have a footpath closed?

Return to “Political Rights Of Way News”