Hello from Godalming area

New TRF members & those thinking of joining announce yourselves here.
Grobb
125cc L Plates

Hello from Godalming area

Postby Grobb » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:21 pm

Hey Guys,

Looking to get back into some trail riding in the near future and then join officially join the TRF once I get a bike. Lot of admiration for the good work that you guys do and looking forward to going out with a ride.

I grew up riding BSAs then cut my teeth riding an xr250 around Northern Thailand a few years back (well recommended) before getting into road bikes (fmx650 then a Daytona 650). Now I am agonising over what bike to buy for the trails and I am really stuck. so any suggestions would be really appreciated but must be comparable to the moon on a stick or a CRF450L.

Trying out Offthekerb trail riding this weekend if any of you guys are going?

steve sharp
LIFE member

Re: Hello from Godalming area

Postby steve sharp » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:30 am

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

If your not that experienced on the trail or dirt, then Id recommend a 250-400cc to start with.. 450's are a bit more of a handful to start with.

Also have a look at the new members info sheet.

If your free, come along to club night tonight, we have a special talk.

Cheers
Steve

Grobb
125cc L Plates

Postby Grobb » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:24 pm

Hi Steve,

Unfortunately I'm pretty busy for the next couple of weeks but I will come along soon. I think it would be good to come and speak to you all before I buy anything.

6daysextreme
350cc Veteran

Postby 6daysextreme » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:09 pm

Hi
When I first started I was recommended to buy a Honda CRF450R. A motox bike converted to road use. The bike shop in Farnham said "no one will overtake you on that"
What a disaster, superb machine - for a motox track but hopeless for everything else. All throttle or brake, nothing in between.
As Steve said a 250-400 4 stroke is a good starter. The natural progression will take place once you have been out a few times and seen what others have got and how they perform.
Rich H

Grobb
125cc L Plates

Postby Grobb » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:18 pm

Hi Rich, yeah I've heard they bite.

I'd love an XR400 type bike but would prefer something new. I've been recommended a CRF250L but have been wondering whether I would outgrow it a bit quickly? I've ridden a fair bit but it has been a while. Seemed a bit small for me as well at 6ft 4. I'm sure this weekend will make my mind up either way.

Where do you guys get your kit from?

steve sharp
LIFE member

Postby steve sharp » Sat May 02, 2015 9:18 pm

If its purely for trail riding then consider a Yamaha WR250 enduro or KTm 250 exc 4 st. These are tall bikes so ideal for your height... and have enough go.. Even better if you can afford more is the KTM 350 exc.

If your going to be riding on the road a lot, then the Honda will be fine to start with , but this is a lot shorter, so try sitting on it out before you buy. Unfortunately there are not many new bikes for trail riding... the WR250 yam trail bike is a good bike but only second hand now. DRZ400 is another senond hand bike to consider.

Grobb
125cc L Plates

Postby Grobb » Sun May 03, 2015 12:20 pm

Thanks Steve, I like the KTMs, but the road mileage might be an issue. I took a Honda CRF250L out on the lanes yesterday and really enjoyed it. This one had risers on which helped and it seemed like a nice easy machine to handle. The lanes near Dorking are brilliant. Looking forward to buying the bike and joining up now

steve sharp
LIFE member

Postby steve sharp » Mon May 04, 2015 7:29 pm

Thats great, see you soon at club night or on the trail!

CraigRK
250cc Trail Rider

Postby CraigRK » Wed May 06, 2015 7:07 am

Grobb wrote:Thanks Steve, I like the KTMs, but the road mileage might be an issue. I took a Honda CRF250L out on the lanes yesterday and really enjoyed it. This one had risers on which helped and it seemed like a nice easy machine to handle. The lanes near Dorking are brilliant. Looking forward to buying the bike and joining up now

Grobb,

I was wondering what you would think of them once you had been to the Offthekerb (I saw they were running CRF250L's).

I have a CRF250M (the Super Moto version) for which I also have "L" wheels which I use on the lanes. I find this great for me, but then, while I used to ride extensively in my youth, I haven't ridden much for years, so a good compromise.

Regards,
Craig
CRF 250M/L (i.e. "M" with extra offroad wheels)

Grobb
125cc L Plates

Postby Grobb » Wed May 06, 2015 7:15 am

Does the M version have the same suspension? It just seemed like such an easy going bike and it's the maintenance that I like as I need to ride for 30mins before I get to where all the decent trails are.

CraigRK
250cc Trail Rider

Postby CraigRK » Wed May 06, 2015 8:24 am

Grobb wrote:Does the M version have the same suspension? It just seemed like such an easy going bike and it's the maintenance that I like as I need to ride for 30mins before I get to where all the decent trails are.

Based on hearsay I understand the suspension is slighter stiffer (which is a good thing as the suspension is the "weak" point of this bike). Other than that the suspension is the same. Swopping the wheels effectively gives me an L in terms of height, etc.

I live in Bookham so quite far from you, but happy to show it to you if you're in the area sometime.

Craig
CRF 250M/L (i.e. "M" with extra offroad wheels)

Grobb
125cc L Plates

Postby Grobb » Wed May 06, 2015 8:51 am

I used to live in Ockham actually which isn't far. Yeah I'd be very interested. I was going to research springs as a mod. Have you geared yours down as well?

Return to “Welcome New Members”