Wanted: beginner's trail bike

Want something someone might have or they know where to get it?
Caesi01
250cc Trail Rider

Wanted: beginner's trail bike

Postby Caesi01 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:59 pm

250cc or more
Good working order
Weekend fun

Budget £1000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

farnham flyer
350cc Veteran

Re: Wanted: beginner's trail bike

Postby farnham flyer » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:19 pm

I think you'll struggle on that budget.

If you can find another £500, my Honda CRM 250 would be perfect.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301929795556?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2648

I'm in Farnham.

Paul.

Dominic
500cc MXER

Postby Dominic » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:20 am

Lovely bike that, and a lot of bike for the money...

Caesi01
250cc Trail Rider

Postby Caesi01 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:46 pm

Caesi01 wrote:250cc or more
Good working order
Weekend fun

Budget £1000

As a newbie to this forum and a complete novice to trail riding (except for one day with http://offthekerbtrailriding.com) I still have quite a bit to learn about these bikes. For example, I didn't even realise that kick start is common when my immediate reaction was 'not for me'.
however, that seems to have its advantages, primarly reg weight, correct?

But how is it when you are out and about and you keep stalling (which I guess it initially wll be the case for me): quick and easy or rather tedious?
Do the pros outweights the cons?

What are members' thoughts?

gavinskii
400cc Thumper

Postby gavinskii » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:36 pm

You say you have a budget of £1000 this is the absolute minimum for an old nail of a bike with an MOT, though I would expect that you would need to spend several hundred pounds on renewing chain, sprockets and tyres.

2 strokes are light and simple to maintain + easy to kick.

4 strokes are typically a bit heavier by design + these days tend to have electric start, though at the budget you have, you may struggle to find anything with electric start + if it does and the starter or bend fail it could be costly to sort out. A 4 stroke without electric start would be a bit tough for a beginner.

As you know I have a Pampera for sale, take a look at this guy who runs a trail riding business and see what he uses and why!

http://www.adventureride.co.uk/our_bikes.html

Dominic
500cc MXER

Postby Dominic » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:42 pm

Ideally you need both. Electric start is easier but you need the backup of a kickstart otherwise you are only left with bump starting as an option. Electric starts can be iffy (like mine) or you can easily run the battery down if you have a problem with the bike.

It also depends on the bike, a proper dual purpose bike like a DRZ probably has a very reliable electric start whereas a more dirt focused 2t KTM has a dodgy electric start (at least mine does).

smccormick
350cc Veteran

Postby smccormick » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:16 pm

Electric start with kick start back up is best case. Once you've picked up your bike a few times and kicked it over after being on its side....tired.

Have the option of both gives options.

Size of bike should be considered, bigger bike, heavier etc. For lanes you don't need a big bike...200/250 cc more than enough depending on your size /weight.

There are good options on here for sale, Gavs pamp, the earlier Honda, my AJP. Good luck with your choice but make a choice and get out while the good weather is here. :)

Caesi01
250cc Trail Rider

Postby Caesi01 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:23 pm

smccormick wrote:Electric start with kick start back up is best case. Once you've picked up your bike a few times and kicked it over after being on its side....tired.

Have the option of both gives options.

Size of bike should be considered, bigger bike, heavier etc. For lanes you don't need a big bike...200/250 cc more than enough depending on your size /weight.

There are good options on here for sale, Gavs pamp, the earlier Honda, my AJP. Good luck with your choice but make a choice and get out while the good weather is here. :)

Thanks for the encouragement. You all seem like a great bunch of guys. All that's missing is a bike for me. Will have a look at a few hopefully this weekend

Caesi01
250cc Trail Rider

Postby Caesi01 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:29 am

No longer looking.

After some consideration, I have decided to wait for a few more year to get into proper trail/lane riding as there simply is not enough time for it and my GSA whilst still having 3 young kids at home :(
Instead, I hope to get out with the big bike riders and see some lanes that way in the meantime.

Caesi01
250cc Trail Rider

Postby Caesi01 » Thu May 19, 2016 12:11 pm

Situation has changed a bit since my last post:
GSA stolen, but recovered thanks to a tracker.
GSA in repair now and I'll be without a ride for approx. 2 months (labour, ordering parts, insurance, etc).

Thus this could be a good enough excuse to revisit my quest of getting out onto some lanes.
However, the bike has to be able to do a 5mile commute (on-road) as well.

Been reading up and it looks like a DRZ400 would allow me to have both: commute, ride to the lanes (I'm SE London) and the lanes.
I have been seeing some being snapped up for around £1700. Thus I have to raise my original budget a bit.

Any suggestions, ideas more than welcome and if anyone knows of a member wishing to part with a DRZ400 (or similar type for that matter) please drop me a line.

thanks

ShaunGASGAS300

Postby ShaunGASGAS300 » Thu May 19, 2016 8:35 pm

I would want to spend at least 1700 on a bike. You might pick one up cheaper but you need to check fork seals are not leaking (Costly replacement) chains and sprockets. If you need it for cummenting then stay away from 2Stokes (No good for work) Although better for the lanes (In my opinion) What you also need to bear in mind is that dirt bike tyres get destroyed when you are on the road!! It kills them! You'll see the knobbles starting to round off in no time which could become costly, also the security on these bikes are not as good as road bikes, not many have steering locks for example or immobilizer so depends where you leave it for work?
Just a few bits to consider

Caesi01
250cc Trail Rider

Postby Caesi01 » Thu May 19, 2016 8:43 pm

Perfect. All comments taken on board. Thanks

Return to “Wanted”