Trail Magazine

Talk about anything.
gavinskii
400cc Thumper

Trail Magazine

Postby gavinskii » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:41 pm

Nice surprise to find an A4 Colour mag on the mat today.

Not had a chance to check out the contents in any detail, but looks promising 8-)

stevent
1150 adventurer

Re: Trail Magazine

Postby stevent » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:55 am

Gavin thanks for posting.
I'm interested in feedback on the new Trail so I can feedback. So tell me what you think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

burls
400cc Thumper

Postby burls » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:50 am

The Mag is excellent. Great effort. Good to see some of Surrey's unsung heroes with a mention.

PippaB
350cc Veteran

Postby PippaB » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:20 pm

There's something special about an A4 glossy magazine with trail bikes on the front....

Brilliant and well put together.
Is this going to be a regular feature? It's very exciting.
Especially mentioned news from the Surrey TRF in the Unsung heroes part, well deserved guys.

Definitely thumbs up from us and having something like this at future shows, people can take home and read at their own leisure too... :D

stevent
1150 adventurer

Postby stevent » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:12 pm

We had a discussion a bit ago at club night about the new Trail magazine. I sent the feedback to the Directors. They have responded in their update to Group Chairs. Here it is.

Paper / Heritage Trail update & cost of Printing

There has been an enormous, positive response over Trail magazine, and articles now being collated and made ready for the Xmas edition with a deadline of November 23rd. Please send in any letters or articles ASAP to [email protected].

The only concern expressed by a member through a Group Chair has been cost and affordability.

In last months GCN, we confirmed the cost of printing.

Trail costs £1 to print and £1 to post based on 5000 print runs. The marginal cost of print is 30p per additional copy either side of the 5000. Hence to print & post 5000 copies the cost is around £10k, and if a member does not wish to receive a copy it will save around £1.30. Conversely, the marginal cost of pint and postage for low volumes - eg 1000 copies would be around £2 to print and £1.58 to post. The advertising sales target of £2k may in time reduce the overall cost slightly.

The print cost of Trail should be looked at in the context of the far greater volunteer cost in running the TRF. For every £1 in TRF cost, volunteers donate at least £4 to £5 by way of professional time.

Producing the old format Trail magazine even in the electronic format used to come in at around £20k per year in direct cost, plus again volunteer costs of around the same again.

Over past years it is clear we have lost touch with many of our members through our digital-only strategy.
Many members spend work time in front of a PC and welcome the opportunity to spend leisure time with a magazine.
As a result- Most TRF members have little idea what is going on and why we do what we do.

Trail Magazine will correct this through communicating the same message in a different medium.
Information retention is believed to be higher on the more complex issues discussed.

The TRF Finance Director will keep close control of the cost vs benefits. Early indications from the response from the members and increased awareness of the TRF's activity are that the money seems to be well spent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kris
LIFE member

Postby kris » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:13 am

great stuff Steven ...

I still have a copy of the article I wrote when a surreytrf trip to dartmoor ~7years ago was the front cover of the old trail magazine and hopefully the mag will inspire others too

Return to “General Discussion”