Xtrainer in A&E

Talk about anything.
ScruffyDroid
350cc Veteran

Xtrainer in A&E

Postby ScruffyDroid » Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:13 pm

After having 2 years "under the belt", and 18 months in my ownership, my Xtrainer has gone to have a top-end replacement.

I nipped an o-ring on my water-pump when replacing the clutch cover, after I helicoiled the oil-fill indicating bolt. The engine didn't work hard enough to get the coolant hot enough here in the UK. When we were in The Pyrenees in June, on day one, it lost it's coolant down the bottom of some single track canyons. The telltale sign of metal against metal, made me stop. Thankfully, with the assistance of full camel backs, fills every 10 minutes got me back to base. The fuel line had also melted and fused closed, by the heat of the engine. Interesting fix, trail side, using an equivalent inner diameter length of orange gas pipe (used as a siphon pipe). For the sake of a 15p o-ring, I lost day's saddle time. Easy fix, but a pain in the ass.

Bike ran fine afterwards for the remainder of the trip, but wasn't pushed too hard. Flowing trails kept a good flow over the rads. Survived Loddon Vale's "Lodd Way Round" in the heat too.

When I was doing an oil change couple weeks ago, I noticed pink coolant seeping from the head once it was warmed up, but no coolant in the oil. Bugger! The O-Rings in the head (no head gasket on 2 Stroke engines these days) had been compromised by the overheat and were bypassing coolant. Did I notice power loss? To be frank, power lifting the front wheel wasn't happening, but I thought this was down to my tiredness on Lodd Way Round...

Time for O-Rings in the head, meant it was also time for new piston, rings and small end bearing. Thermostat delete kit that I had ordered some time back being fitted too. Normally I'd do this myself, since I do my own spannering, but John Lee Motorcycles quoted me such a reasonable labour rate, I thought to give them the work. Kind offer by Trickey to van my bike to Market Rushden, accompanied by Mudplugger, riding shotgun, on Saturday morning. Safely delivered to Chas for the work.

Whilst we were there, had a chance to see the new GasGas EC Ranger 300. Conceptually very similar to Xtrainer, with KYB OC Fork (much better). Build quality, finish and starter motor too much of a compromise, however. Xtrainer with upgraded springs and fork oil (15w) a better option methinks? There has been a lot of criticism of the Xtrainer standard forks, but in the relatively low speeds that we do, I've found the slow technical stuff suits their characteristics. If you are a Romaniac or a Hard Enduro monster (I'm not), then an alternative set of forks/triples/wheel will be a consideration for you.

I've survived two Pyrenees trips with the standard fork sprung, and oiled for my weight, rebound and compression dialled in. Adjusting your existing suspension, seat time and petrol is the best money you can spend on becoming a better rider.

These guys (and RocketyRon!) are an inspiration...

Beta Xtrainer 300 :roll:
Honda CRF230F :oops:
ex-Kawasaki KDX220R (now sold to a fellow TRF Member) :mrgreen:

silvergull
400cc Thumper

Re: Xtrainer in A&E

Postby silvergull » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:52 pm

Great post, enjoyed! Have you seen the video of 'Why we ride'-- Same guys making it---- tremendous!
BC
Beano: Appears on a Wednesday

ScruffyDroid
350cc Veteran

Postby ScruffyDroid » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:50 am

I have watched it. Great video.

Thanks

MuddySully
400cc Thumper

Postby MuddySully » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:57 am

Barry

I am sure that you have seen the media coverage on the issues with main bearings on the Xtrainer, although it’s not a common issue there are signs that can be seen, or felt.

Like you, I work on my own bikes and had an Xtrainer for over two years. My first top end rebuild was completed at 135 hours and all was good. I decided to sell the bike at 185 hours and it was snapped up and sold. Unfortunately, on its first ride out, within 200 meters! the main bearings failed.

There aren’t many signs that the bearings are in trouble apart from the more vibrations coming from the engine. This is a gradual change so it is difficult to tell. The Xtrainer engine really pulls from low rev’s and chugs along, maybe this puts more strain on those bearings.

I don’t know if the guys at John Lee have a way of testing the main bearings, but in my view if your bike is anywhere above or close to 150 hours then I would get the main bearing done as well. It’s obviously a bigger bill, but potentially less painful in the end.

Best of luck,

Peter.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ScruffyDroid
350cc Veteran

Postby ScruffyDroid » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:44 am

My bottom end, and barrel were replaced a few riding hours before I purchased it.

Barry

NigelC
350cc Veteran

Postby NigelC » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:18 pm

Barry,

What you need is a Proper bike, like a Sherco.

They never break down... ;)
Nigel TT250R Cooper

ScruffyDroid
350cc Veteran

Postby ScruffyDroid » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:19 pm

I think that Sherco is Spanish, for Shyte? :mrgreen:

silvergull
400cc Thumper

Postby silvergull » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:32 am

I think you will find that is GasGas.
Beano: Appears on a Wednesday

NigelC
350cc Veteran

Postby NigelC » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:42 am

How about registering the trading name ShercoGas?

I think we're on to a winner... :roll:
Nigel TT250R Cooper

ScruffyDroid
350cc Veteran

Postby ScruffyDroid » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:30 am

We are a weird bunch! There aren't any crappy bikes anymore, they are all damn good, and way better than any of our riding abilities. It's the bum on seat time that matters, more than the bike.

I'll get my coat...

Thanks

ScruffyDroid
350cc Veteran

Postby ScruffyDroid » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:48 pm

Xtrainer came back from hospital yesterday. New heart now pumping strongly again...

Return to “General Discussion”