Hand Guards

Using something that's clearly worth talking about? Share it.
big yellow tractor
400cc Thumper

Hand Guards

Postby big yellow tractor » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:13 am

I need some new hand guards for the little KTM. The little flappy bits of plastic that are currently fitted are pants (as my fingers bear testament to today after clattering through the trees yesterday)

I have acerbis rally pro on my DRZs but welcome any recommendations.

Which ones and why ??

Weet-rider
250cc Trail Rider

Re: Hand Guards

Postby Weet-rider » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:08 pm

BARKBUSTERS EGO

Super strong and high quality,fitting kit for tapered bars available, plastic parts can be replaced separately.

http://www.barkbusters.net/products/ego.html

Dave.

6daysextreme
350cc Veteran

Postby 6daysextreme » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:57 pm

Advice from D Knight and that welsh lunatic Lee Walters is do not use the metal framed wrap around type. If you have an accident your wrists/hands may get caught.
Mmmmm, I was skeptical. Then i crashed heavily in the welsh 2 day and REALLY hurt both wrists - caught in hand guards. Doh. Luckily they weren't broken but it was bad enough.
I did some more research and found the flappy ones to be the best.
The best of those is from enduro engineering. They're very well made, fit well and are sturdy enough to withstand the abuse of our sport.
I think they are American but i bought direct from Eurotek in Uk. Guards fit unversal bikes not just KTM

Rich H

http://www.enduroeng.com/

http://www.eurotekktm.com/

Dave
250cc

Postby Dave » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:32 pm

6daysextreme wrote:Guards fit unversal bikes not just KTM

Lol

I've been using the flappy ones for years no problems. The idea is to ride around trees rather than into them though. ;)

Have gone over the bars a few times. Would much rather a bruised or broken finger than snapped wrists.

big yellow tractor
400cc Thumper

Postby big yellow tractor » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:39 pm

Thanks chaps.

I have had the metal wrap around type on all previous bikes and find they do a good job of protecting leavers and grips/throttle tube.

Maybe I need to GO ROUND the trees.

Dave
250cc

Postby Dave » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:47 pm

Loosen off your levers so they rotate on impact. If they still break upgrade from sh!te levers. Throttle tubes are dead cheap and can swap in minutes.

If you do want a set of tree eaters tho Cycra are good. The metal is bent it a way that on impact it doesn't go up and take out your cables/hydraulics.

Billy
woz bus pass

Postby Billy » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:50 pm

Flappy ones for me. Generally I try not to crash but if I do I wanna be as far from the bike as possible, its the bike that gives you most of your injuries. Would you want a little cage round your legs that prevents them coming of the pegs ? Better to break a £10 lever than a very expensive wrist....................

Luke B
400cc Thumper

Postby Luke B » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:55 pm

Billy wrote:Flappy ones for me. Generally I try not to crash but if I do I wanna be as far from the bike as possible, its the bike that gives you most of your injuries. Would you want a little cage round your legs that prevents them coming of the pegs ? Better to break a £10 lever than a very expensive wrist....................

Ere ere

Billy
woz bus pass

Postby Billy » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:38 pm

Luke B wrote:
Billy wrote:Flappy ones for me. Generally I try not to crash but if I do I wanna be as far from the bike as possible, its the bike that gives you most of your injuries. Would you want a little cage round your legs that prevents them coming of the pegs ? Better to break a £10 lever than a very expensive wrist....................

Ere ere

Your scars still make me go ouch.....................

burls
400cc Thumper

Postby burls » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:04 am

Luke B wrote:

Ere ere

Was it wraparounds that did your damage Luke? Fook me :o I was going to suggest the Cycras but this has made me think!

Luke B
400cc Thumper

Postby Luke B » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:34 pm

Billy wrote:
Luke B wrote:

Ere ere

Your scars still make me go ouch.....................

You sure its not the size of my sausage that makes you go ouch. :lol: :lol:

Luke B
400cc Thumper

Postby Luke B » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:39 pm

burls wrote:
Luke B wrote:

Ere ere

Was it wraparounds that did your damage Luke? Fook me :o I was going to suggest the Cycras but this has made me think!

No it was the twat riding the bike that was the issue, the handguards were just along for the ride.
Ive used both and both have issues in relation to safety.

Luke

Return to “Kit Recommendations”