2 stroke oil

Using something that's clearly worth talking about? Share it.
Beerbelly
750 flat tracker

2 stroke oil

Postby Beerbelly » Mon May 18, 2015 2:29 pm

I bought some exol optima fully synthetic racing oil. 5l £28 delivered. Jaso D standard the same as putoline and castrol.

Everyone slated it that I have shown it to.

Called their technical dept today and they were extremely helpful. It's the same standard as putoline and castrol and they assured me that it would not blow my engine. Did not find it smoky at all. In fact it ran the same as when I had put putoline in.

Rob in Exols tech is happy to answer any queries. Exol is one of the biggest independent manufacturers of oils and greases.

+44 (0) 121 568 6800

I for one will continue to use it.

burls
400cc Thumper

Re: 2 stroke oil

Postby burls » Mon May 18, 2015 7:04 pm

If you smell chips when riding, you're probably following Griffin Belly :lol:

Billy
woz bus pass

Postby Billy » Mon May 18, 2015 7:26 pm

Griffindor wrote:I bought some exol optima fully synthetic racing oil. 5l £28 delivered. Jaso D standard the same as putoline and castrol.

Called their technical dept today and they were extremely helpful. It's the same standard as putoline and castrol and they assured me that it would not blow my engine. Did not find it smoky at all. In fact it ran the same as when I had put putoline in.

Rob in Exols tech is happy to answer any queries. Exol is one of the biggest independent manufacturers of oils and greases.

+44 (0) 121 568 6800

I think you asked about 10 people about the oil and all 10 said they would not put cheap oil in their bike, so that obviously means those 10 (who just gave you their honest opinion, I didn`t hear anyone slate your oil) are wrong and you are right. You rang Exol today and they said their oil is really good, probably not really a surprise there then (are you sure they didn`t say it was sh#t and you should use Motorex cos it`s recommended for your bike). I followed you ( as I ended up tail end Charlie) for the last 3 days and your bike was the only bike that was showing any smoke, I just put that down to you being fairly new to 2 strokes and perhaps had not quite go your mixtures right. Good luck with your cheap oil, on the plus side the bike looks like its had a fairly hard life and will probably need a rebuild soon anyway.........................

PS You should have bought a big 4 stroke, some one on here a little while ago said that was the way forward (probably a Honda because of the good build quality and reliability).

Beerbelly
750 flat tracker

Postby Beerbelly » Mon May 18, 2015 7:32 pm

Billy wrote:
Griffindor wrote:I bought some exol optima fully synthetic racing oil. 5l £28 delivered. Jaso D standard the same as putoline and castrol.

+44 (0) 121 568 6800

I think you asked about 10 people about the oil and all 10 said they would not put cheap oil in their bike, so that obviously means those 10 (who just gave you their honest opinion, I didn`t hear anyone slate your oil) are wrong and you are right. You rang Exol today and they said their oil is really good, probably not really a surprise there then (are you sure they didn`t say it was do-do and you should use Motorex cos it`s recommended for your bike). I followed you ( as I ended up tail end Charlie) for the last 3 days and your bike was the only bike that was showing any smoke, I just put that down to you being fairly new to 2 strokes and perhaps had not quite go your mixtures right. Good luck with your cheap oil, on the plus side the bike looks like its had a fairly hard life and will probably need a rebuild soon anyway.........................

PS You should have bought a big 4 stroke, some one on here a little while ago said that was the way forward.

Your probably right should have bought another 4t all the mixing is do-do. On the plus side my ears weren't ringing from a loud exhaust. But I couldn't feel my feet from the vibrations!

I guess it's like helmets though isn't it? If no gold sticker it's cheaper... Like the bell one we were talking about. But doesn't mean they are do-do.

So it was my review and put it out there. If anyone wants to try it then it's up to them you controversial old git. Loves you anyway.

;)

Beerbelly
750 flat tracker

Postby Beerbelly » Mon May 18, 2015 7:57 pm

Billy wrote:

+44 (0) 121 568 6800

I think you asked about 10 people about the oil and all 10 said they would not put cheap oil in their bike, so that obviously means those 10 (who just gave you their honest opinion, I didn`t hear anyone slate your oil) are wrong and you are right. You rang Exol today and they said their oil is really good, probably not really a surprise there then (are you sure they didn`t say it was sh#t and you should use Motorex cos it`s recommended for your bike). I followed you ( as I ended up tail end Charlie) for the last 3 days and your bike was the only bike that was showing any smoke, I just put that down to you being fairly new to 2 strokes and perhaps had not quite go your mixtures right. Good luck with your cheap oil, on the plus side the bike looks like its had a fairly hard life and will probably need a rebuild soon anyway.........................

PS You should have bought a big 4 stroke, some one on here a little while ago said that was the way forward (probably a Honda because of the good build quality and reliability).

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431975441.255927.jpg

Here put some of this on Billy...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Billy
woz bus pass

Postby Billy » Mon May 18, 2015 8:03 pm

But if it `Does what it says on the tin` I would never see you again.

(well not for four hours anyway)

Beerbelly
750 flat tracker

Postby Beerbelly » Mon May 18, 2015 8:19 pm

Billy wrote:But if it `Does what it says on the tin` I would never see you again.

(well not for four hours anyway)

I know that's a half days riding! Would be a shame. But I'll bring some with me next ride in case you get grumpy.

Beerbelly
750 flat tracker

Postby Beerbelly » Mon May 18, 2015 10:39 pm

http://www.oilspecifications.org/jaso.php.

Anyone interested in reading about specs knock yourself out...

Luke B
400cc Thumper

Postby Luke B » Tue May 19, 2015 11:38 am

When will you learn.
Billy, bang on the money.

Beerbelly
750 flat tracker

Postby Beerbelly » Wed May 20, 2015 12:52 pm

Luke B wrote:When will you learn.

Ok but tell me what the difference is?

When I fill up with fuel I put 98 ron, I don't care if it's from esso or tescos. Fuel is fuel and is rated.

What makes putoline or castrol any better? If it has been tested and approved at the same rating?

I just don't see anyone with a valid argument?

Elaborate..... Don't just say bang on - bang on what? That I called them to check out their product? I will call putoline next and see what they say that makes theirs so special....

Beerbelly
750 flat tracker

Postby Beerbelly » Wed May 20, 2015 2:20 pm

Griffindor wrote:
Luke B wrote:When will you learn.

Ok but tell me what the difference is?

When I fill up with fuel I put 98 ron, I don't care if it's from esso or tescos. Fuel is fuel and is rated.

What makes putoline or castrol any better? If it has been tested and approved at the same rating?

I just don't see anyone with a valid argument?

Elaborate..... Don't just say bang on - bang on what? That I called them to check out their product? I will call putoline next and see what they say that makes theirs so special....

So I spoke to Jim (technical expert) at Putoline: JASO-FD is the latest standard as I had read previously in my research. This is thorough testing for cleanliness, film strength, etc. We had a candid conversation and admittedly he had never heard of EXOL - but then neither had I. He was of the opinion that there are a lot of good oils out there and some are not very well known but still pretty decent. If they meet the rating then you shouldn't have any issues - if it has been rated then it has been through the same testing. I did mention CARLUBE 2T oil that is ratedJ ASO-FB - horrible outdated oil that I wouldn't put in my strimmer and we did laugh at that. What he outlined is that people are probably paying for marketing, sponsorship, distribution lines etc. You don't see Exol in bikes shops was the comment. No you don't - you see it in 5l bottles on the net straight from the manufacturer/distributor.... so to sum up: you can take a relatively inexpensive product and double its value by sponsoring, advertising and distribution.

I think the Exol is ok to use seeing it meets the same high Japanese standards that putoline and castrol does and at a third of the price all savings are welcome. I admit Putoline smells nice and has good results too. I don't disagree with that. But no one here has been able to articulate any reason as to what choice of oil and why in any manner that makes sense apart from its just that way... its what we use... etc. I was pleased that Jim was professional in his approach to this and he had a far more pragmatic approach to describing what to look for, why and the costs differences. Now back to testing... I'll keep trying the EXOL for now.

burls
400cc Thumper

Postby burls » Wed May 20, 2015 6:49 pm

Genuine question here....the debate is about branded and non branded oils MEETING a certain standard. Be good to know if any EXCEED that standard. My waters tell me the premium oils do.

Return to “Kit Recommendations”