Rabaconda Tyre Changer

Using something that's clearly worth talking about? Share it.
ShaunGASGAS300

Rabaconda Tyre Changer

Postby ShaunGASGAS300 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:39 am

Has anybody got one of these? Or ever used one.

Looks like a fantastic bit of kit so thinking of getting one. My main question is, will it work for road bike tyres?
I have to pay £35 fitting each tyre plus the dealer adds about £30 on from what I could buy them online so I could save £60 on each tyre and as I go through a set to a set and a half a year (Do a lot of miles on the road bike as use it to commute to work everyday) plus £15 to fit KTM wheels each time so again two or three a year I would save £200+ a year on tyres.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rabaconda-Bib ... 2273816498

Any advice?

smokinrider
250cc Trail Rider

Rabaconda Tyre Changer

Postby smokinrider » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:21 am

Yep they're the nuts. Speak to Al at endurotyres.com make sure you say you're TRF. Vid of my last tyre change, not rushed or faked, just a genuine representation of how easy they make it.

https://youtu.be/DxOQl-912bo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShaunGASGAS300

Re: Rabaconda Tyre Changer

Postby ShaunGASGAS300 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:13 pm

smokinrider wrote:Yep they're the nuts. Speak to Al at endurotyres.com make sure you say you're TRF. Vid of my last tyre change, not rushed or faked, just a genuine representation of how easy they make it.

https://youtu.be/DxOQl-912bo

Thanks for feedback. Would you change a road bike tyre on it?

mudeevee
750 flat tracker

Postby mudeevee » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:19 pm

Hi Shaun,

Not sure about the rabaconda - for a number of reasons:

There are quite a few 'mousse' changers around (I've looked at most and owned a few types). I was going to go for a Rabaconda and went down to Al @ Rangers Enduro tyres. He put a Mich comp and mousse onto the KTM 200 rear. Took him an age (35 mins) and the rim was in quite a state. While this was going on (with HUGE levers)! the rabaconda looked a tad flimsy (IMO). Based on this I decided not to get one.............

Dave (Strongbow) has a scorpion mousse changer. Much lower than the Rabaconda, BUT mush less flimsy and does a similar job, for less money. Not as portable though.

When I started Simply Trail I looked at a few and bought a TMT3. This is very sturdy, quite portable (more so than the scorpion, less than the rabaconda) and it has a very clever method of getting the rim on. A couple of minor issues with this one - smaller axle sizes (16mm) and larger than 26mm are not fully catered for. The new TMT4 does cater for all these.

So, I'd recommend the TMT mousse changer.

For Road wheels - Mmmm. They are do-able (I've fitted a few now). Issue at home may well be getting enough air in to pop the rim on a tubeless tyre - I'm assuming the road bike is tubeless? You'll definitely need a compressor to get this done.
Also - balancing. easy enough to do if you have a means of supporting the wheel and some weights.

Lastly, Road wheels/tyres have much softer sidewalls and may not be happy to be pressed/squeezed and buggered about quite as much as off-road tyres. off course, you could go with a lower cost motorbike tyre changer (one that clamps the wheel down and you work with a big iron around the wheel) - these are good for diy road tyres but not great at off-road - especially with mousses.

Alternatively - pop down and see me and we'll have a go at your road wheels!

Cheers

Derek

smokinrider
250cc Trail Rider

Postby smokinrider » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:51 pm

I m not sure about road wheels, don't have one! you'd probably want to put some foam or plastic pipe over the bare metal to protect the spokes, it would support them to work on them and break the bead but I think the mk2 rabba has too spikyer blade to use on a road wheel sidewalk.

Billy
woz bus pass

Postby Billy » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:16 pm

ShaunGASGAS300 wrote:Has anybody got one of these? Or ever used one.

Looks like a fantastic bit of kit so thinking of getting one. My main question is, will it work for road bike tyres?
I have to pay £35 fitting each tyre plus the dealer adds about £30 on from what I could buy them online so I could save £60 on each tyre and as I go through a set to a set and a half a year (Do a lot of miles on the road bike as use it to commute to work everyday) plus £15 to fit KTM wheels each time so again two or three a year I would save £200+ a year on tyres.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rabaconda-Bib ... 2273816498

Any advice?

I`ve got a "Derek" to do my tyres, absolutely faultless and as cheap as chips...........

Return to “Kit Recommendations”