New Bike! Putting the XR400 in the bin!

Using something that's clearly worth talking about? Share it.
RSTMatt
I'll ignore you if i see you in public

Postby RSTMatt » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:20 pm

So after another failed attempt to get the old Honda going I've decided to bin her (Sell it as a non runner / break it).

So what to buy next?......MUST have an electric start lol. Got around 3k, really like the look of the husqvarna TE250.

Anything I should avoid? I'm still a relative beginner. 2stroke 4stroke?

My mechanic said if I got a KTM he wouldnt work on it! I guess not everyone is a fan of Orange!

G-Bru
You should've bought a KTM!

Re: New Bike! Putting the XR400 in the bin!

Postby G-Bru » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:36 pm

RSTMatt wrote:My mechanic said if I got a KTM he wouldnt work on it! I guess not everyone is a fan of Orange!

You won't need a mechanic if you bought a 2T bud! They are really simple and easy to work on! No way I would trust any dealer or mechanic with my bike anyways, they don't give it the respect and love I do whenever I work on it. ; p

Just buy an Orange one, there is a couple good looking 2T's up for grabs over on KTMForum.co.uk for what you are looking to spend.

Good luck and happy bike shopping!

G
Grant

KTM 250EXC SixDays

Dave
250cc

Postby Dave » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:07 am

Matt SteveT has a really nice Yam WR250 which only needs an oil change every 3-5000 miles or something daft. He's an intermediate rider and it goes everywhere. He even rode it from Mitcham along the A3 to the meets.

It's a 4 stroke so very reliable and the 250 is very light. TBH as a beginner I'd head down that route. The 4 bangers will tow you anywhere, have very predictable, smooth power and are very forgiving going long distance.

The Yams WR range have great build quality and hold their value very well. Also no need to worry about mixing oil either.

Billy
woz bus pass

Postby Billy » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:19 am

Remind me again why there are so many KTM`s about, oh no dont worry i`ve just remembered it`s cos theyre the best.

farmerdave
350cc Veteran

Postby farmerdave » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:09 am

steve braham wrote:Remind me again why there are so many KTM`s about, oh no dont worry i`ve just remembered it`s cos theyre the best.

+1 for team orange

G-Bru
You should've bought a KTM!

Postby G-Bru » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:13 am

gtcodave wrote:Matt SteveT has a really nice Yam WR250 which only needs an oil change every 3-5000 miles or something daft. He's an intermediate rider and it goes everywhere. He even rode it from Mitcham along the A3 to the meets.

It's a 4 stroke so very reliable and the 250 is very light. TBH as a beginner I'd head down that route. The 4 bangers will tow you anywhere, have very predictable, smooth power and are very forgiving going long distance.

The Yams WR range have great build quality and hold their value very well. Also no need to worry about mixing oil either.

Don't listen to Dave, he has seen the light after riding my bike and will be converting to Orange soon........

G
Grant

KTM 250EXC SixDays

Dave
250cc

Postby Dave » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:38 pm

I like your bike being that its brand-spanking but my vote is still with blue :)

Steve, Hitler was also very popular but bikes aren't about being a fascist! Don't conform! Viva la resistance!

Billy
woz bus pass

Postby Billy » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:54 pm

gtcodave wrote:I like your bike being that its brand-spanking but my vote is still with blue :)

Steve, Hitler was also very popular but bikes aren't about being a fascist! Don't conform! Viva la resistance!

I know someone with 2 blue bikes and they are both only fit for the scrapheap..............

Billy
woz bus pass

Postby Billy » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:51 pm

On a more serious note as a relatively new rider you need a smaller bike to learn to ride properly on, a trail bike rather than a competition machine. If i were to buy a bike for trail riding my current favourite is a TTR 250,a very capable bike.We all think we want the latest fastest enduro bike but never get the best out off them because we are not good enough.Get something you can improve your riding on and when the time is right go for a more competition based bike.I stopped trail riding for about 10 years and when i came back to it i thought i would try a 4/stroke,bought a CRF 450 and it scared me to death every time i rode it.No fun at all.Went back to a small capacity 2/stroke and love it.Its not the fastest bike in the world but i feel comfortable on it and enjoy it.Lots of people make the mistake of buying a bike that is to competition focused and fall by the wayside because they struggle to cope with the bike,you are supposed to be out there enjoying yourself not racing.Whatever you choose i hope you enjoy it.

Luke B
400cc Thumper

Postby Luke B » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:20 pm

Another +1 for Orange as Steve said, why do so many people have them ............... :?:

On a different note what happened to the XR, i used to have one and thought it was great, if a little heavy :o

Luke B

Billy
woz bus pass

Postby Billy » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:17 pm

Luke B wrote:Another +1 for Orange as Steve said, why do so many people have them ............... :?:

On a different note what happened to the XR, i used to have one and thought it was great, if a little heavy :o

Luke B

That wasn`t the bike that was too heavy that was you fat boy...........

Dave
250cc

Postby Dave » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:23 pm

Luke B wrote:Another +1 for Orange as Steve said, why do so many people have them ............... :?:

Well in all honesty KTM are pretty damn good. The standard kit you get from the factory is well above the average of other brands. Meaning that the average bloke without a factory team of mechanics behind him gets a really good setup out of the box. If you were buying new you should buy KTM as they are setting the standard these days..

Anything pre 2007/8 I'd say the verdict is still out on what's best or what to buy. Especially as someone could use the money they save to customise the bike in terms of suspension spring weight and other mods such as recluse clutch system that make the bike more tailored to the rider and their style giving an amazing experience.

But as Steve said, non of us here ride to the extent of it being necessary. We're not pro's or fast riders. We are but humble trail riders. Pick a colour and ride!

Return to “Kit Recommendations”