newbie armour-soft or hard

Using something that's clearly worth talking about? Share it.
scrumpynut
125cc Novice

newbie armour-soft or hard

Postby scrumpynut » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:24 am

Hi all just want to know peoples thoughts on soft v hard armour, I like the look of the 2018 ACERBIS X-FIT PRO 2.0 BODY ARMOUR which is a soft suit style and at £115 I guess is not to bad but hate to think how much it is costing so far as a newbie to get all the kit required, as long as the wife does not know my life is safe.

steve sharp
LIFE member

Re: newbie armour-soft or hard

Postby steve sharp » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:23 pm

scrumpynut wrote:Hi all just want to know peoples thoughts on soft v hard armour, I like the look of the 2018 ACERBIS X-FIT PRO 2.0 BODY ARMOUR which is a soft suit style and at £115 I guess is not to bad but hate to think how much it is costing so far as a newbie to get all the kit required, as long as the wife does not know my life is safe.

I recommend hard body armour, you could fall off your bike and hit rocks, tree stumps and trees.

Same applies to knee protectors and elbow, if not built into body armour.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Billy
woz bus pass

Postby Billy » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:02 pm

I find hard armour uncomfortable if worn all day . I use Alpinestars soft armour and 661 mountain bike soft knee pads but I don`t fall off much .

Hoops
350cc Veteran

Postby Hoops » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:16 pm

Billy wrote:I find hard armour uncomfortable if worn all day . I use Alpinestars soft armour and 661 mountain bike soft knee pads but I don`t fall off much .
Got some Dainese hard armour and it's been relegated to the loft since getting a Forcefield Pro X V suit. Super comfortable even in hot weather. Awesome bit of kit. Not cheap but reckoned to be the best by many.

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

Mike R
350cc Veteran

Postby Mike R » Tue May 22, 2018 4:39 pm

I have the Leatt 3df body protector. Its expensive but high quality and tested to CE whatever which gives some confidence. The problem with body armour is depending on the impact hard or soft may make no difference. Most gel based armour now has excellent impact absorption and a fall at around 30mph is no problem. If you hit a rock or tree even with hard armour you can still break / dislocate things. I would go with Steve on hard armour is uncomfortable all day especially when its proper hot.

Knee pads I go full carbon and at least once I have saved a serious injury. Or be like Steve (billy) and just don't fall....

Mike R
350cc Veteran

Postby Mike R » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:50 pm

By the way, hit a tree after an off and had trauma to the pancreas. Leatt 3df stopped me from broken ribs. Was a proper hard hit too.

Return to “Kit Recommendations”