Xtrainer Front Forks

Using something that's clearly worth talking about? Share it.
ScruffyDroid
350cc Veteran

Xtrainer Front Forks

Postby ScruffyDroid » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:35 am

Decided to upgrade front forks, after 2 years and much deliberation.

Ohlins are now doing an internals replacement using the existing tubes and retaining the triples. Will report back once fitted and tested (1 August) by John Lee Motorcycles.
Beta Xtrainer 300 :roll:
Honda CRF230F :oops:
ex-Kawasaki KDX220R (now sold to a fellow TRF Member) :mrgreen:

Jezben
250cc Trail Rider

Re: Xtrainer Front Forks

Postby Jezben » Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:49 pm

Be interested to know the outcome on your upgrade. Are you sending the forks to them, or fitting yourself?

Have you ever tried heavier oil or shims in the forks?. I too have the same deliberation of what to do with Xtrainer forks!

Jez

ScruffyDroid
350cc Veteran

Postby ScruffyDroid » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:01 pm

Jez

I have 15w oil in it and a heavier spring. It does improve it a lot, but it still deflects when hitting a squared on "step". The forks need servicing every 30-50 hours, too.

I've got the shims for the rebound stack, but haven't got round to fitting them yet.

Spoke to Chas Lee and I can't argue with the Ohlins kit, even if pricey (£750). I'm taking my forks up there next Saturday and they'll do them on the spot.

Barry

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

boredus
250cc Trail Rider

Postby boredus » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:09 pm

How has the new kit done Barry?

I've got the full Boano fork replacement kit up front and although a long way ahead of the standard stuff, I'd be interested to keep the lighter forks and triples for a change.

regards
Ian

ScruffyDroid
350cc Veteran

Postby ScruffyDroid » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:28 pm

Ian

I've been waiting since June for them to arrive from Italy!

Covid-19 delays, Italian holiday season...

I'll let you know once they get here.

What's wrong with the Boano?

boredus
250cc Trail Rider

Postby boredus » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:33 am

Barry,

Other that the K9 kit or home brew KYB setup, there was not a lot around in 2017 when I got my first XT. As soon as the Boana kit came out, I sunk my pennies in to what I thought would be a 'proper' drop in replacement.

Boano take the 300RR Racing forks, shorten them and make up some Triples with stem to suit the XT. No need to make a new stem or press out the original and reuse it. I thought I was on to a winner.

Cutting a very long winded story short, the Italians havent done a very good job

The forks are still 16mm to long - even after shortening them. The bike sits like a stretched dirtbike - Harley style.
Extremely harsh on square edge hits, wheelies, landings.

I've got the bits together to shorten them to what should get the geometry correct but I cant do valving so thats more pennies to do that.

The forks are paired with a Fox Racing rear shock.

On the plus side this setup has completely transformed the bike and is now on my 2nd XT (so value for money it's getting cheaper!) I just think to get it right, it needs more pennies chucking in.

I know it's never going to handle as well in a straight line as full size Enduro bike with the shortened wheelbase etc, I just want to make it that little bit more plush, comfortable.

Jezben
250cc Trail Rider

Postby Jezben » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:11 pm

Barry, Ian
Obviously you know of the K9 and Boana fork upgrade.

I know we have communicated recently about the Xtrainer forks, which led me to do some research for what I wanted to achieve with my Xtrainer.
I studied a couple of forums on Beta owners and Thumpertalk, which eventually led me to a company in the States All Moto performance (AMP).
Many folk were very impressed with the owner Aaron on suspension upgrades he had performed for them.

I investigated on his website and Facebook page and eventually spoke with him and have too say, was extremely helpful and not pushing to sell me anything, but rather I solved the issue in the correct way for my type of riding.
He too has an Xtrainer and RR Enduro and pointed out his findings on suspension issues and why. Then gave some options on achieving what I wanted.
I eventually ordered a new Damping kit to replace the original. With shipping and import costs it's about £700.
I've yet to experience it as it's not arrived yet. But I'm hoping and believe it will be a good upgrade.

This is the slot in kit.

Below his opinion on the stock forks.

He said the Boana forks are great and there is a lot left on the table to make them better.
He responds very quickly if you message him too.

Hope the information is useful

Jez

boredus
250cc Trail Rider

Postby boredus » Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:38 pm

Hi Jez,

I had a proper chuckle when I saw your message, I've had a very similar conversation with Aaron, albeit before the MXT Lucky kit came about. He was the first person to tell me the Boano forks were decent, just badly executed by the Italians. The forks were badly valved for the full size race bike, imagine how harsh they come out on the lighter, shorter XT.

I do fancy getting my standard forks upgraded and be able to compare them to the Boano. I must admit the axle threading in to the fork bottom does bug me.

At some point I might fetch my standard forks out the lockup and weigh them against the Boano.

There is also the Adriani v2 kit for the Xtrainer standard forks but I havent found anyone that has bought them.

trickey
400cc Thumper

Postby trickey » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:54 am

Some one out there has the best set up xt. The one that was nicked out of my garage.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ScruffyDroid
350cc Veteran

Postby ScruffyDroid » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:29 pm

trickey wrote:Some one out there has the best set up xt. The one that was nicked out of my garage.
Indeed, Trickey. Best suspension, dickiest fuelling!

My fork internals arriving from Italy on Tuesday, but I'm in France until 20th, and then quara. until 4th October. Typical...

Thanks

Raleigh Chopper
400cc Thumper

Postby Raleigh Chopper » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:15 pm

Hi All,

Like the rest of you have I spent hours deciding what to do until last year, when I very luckily found a set of Boana Marzocchi 45mm kit with the gorgeous looking red triple clamps specifically built for the Xtrainer with a shortened and modified (by Steve Plain Motorcycles) Ohlins rear shock to match. It was not cheap but about half the price of the current Boana/Ohlins retro fit set up currently available. I am delighted with the bike set up now and later this year I hope to take the bike up to Steve Plain for servicing of the units and set up with me on it.

If I hadn't found this I would of used Aaron at AMP. There is no doubt he fully 'gets' what's going on with the standard front forks. It makes me chuckle that we all put heavier oil in these forks (me included) to make them stiffer but this actually exacerbates the main problem .. Deflection. The forks are way overdamped on high speed compression causing the deflection, hence thicker oil makes things worse, just when you don't need it.
My research concluded that K9 was a complete waste of money, the twin cartridge Adreana kit comes out the box too stiff and the Sachs Boana Kit (what you have Ian) was the best option. Shame too hear it is a bit harsh. Mind you that is exactly what Steve Plain told me at the time I bought my Boana Marzocchi kit from him. He just felt that the closed Cartridge Sachs Boana kit set up was too much for the little Xtrainer, as it is far too hard.

It is certainly a very interesting subject to us owners. I don't think we should ever expect to have the stability of a full sized enduro bike but the standard forks are inadequate for anything over 25mph.

The debate will go on for years I expect or until Beta fit better forks but then the bike will be considerably more expensive to buy ......

Derek T

boredus
250cc Trail Rider

Postby boredus » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:07 am

I cant completely write the Boano kit off, out the box it was a huge improvement on the standard forks. But, Boano didnt do any homework and just slung over-valved and over sprung 300 racing forks in a kit.

I am actually tempted to take the Boano forks off the XT and fit them to my 200RR and see if they work better for the 200.

Beta USA are releasing their own XT upgrade fork / shock package built independently of Boano. I bet the US market will be able to do a BYOB for the Xtrainer and have that new suspension fitted to the bike direct from the warehouse.

Return to “Kit Recommendations”