Advice on tyres for DRZ 400

Using something that's clearly worth talking about? Share it.
prking
250cc Trail Rider

Advice on tyres for DRZ 400

Postby prking » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:50 am

Finally getting round to looking at changing tyres on my DRZ, looking for road legal but with better trail grip than the current OEM Bridgestones. Will also use as a chance to try fitting myself so that should be interesting, me, you tube and plenty of PG Tips.

Any advice gratefully received. I will then look for a suitable newbie ride sometime soon as its been a while since I had the chance to get out.

big yellow tractor
400cc Thumper

Re: Advice on tyres for DRZ 400

Postby big yellow tractor » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:41 pm

I would go for Maxxis Cross IT

Road legal MX tyre ("E" and MST marked) Hard enough to last a reasonable mileage but soft enough not to make you brown your trousers on wet tarmac.

Should cost just under £90.00 a pair. I find them pretty straightforward to fit (the carcass isn't too stiff)

I get through a couple of fronts to a rear but I like the front tyre to be pretty sharp as the Dr. Zee will tend to push the front anyway. (raising the forks through the yokes a bit and running the rear preload towards the firm side of correct helps a quite a lot. As does getting your weight right forward to load up the front into turns)

For tubes, I use these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300639654577

Stewie
1150 adventurer

Postby Stewie » Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:29 am

+ 1 for the Maxxis Cross IT / Inters, but it depends on what mix of riding that you plan on doing, do you have the E or the S model. :D
Off the beaten track!.

big yellow tractor
400cc Thumper

Postby big yellow tractor » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:27 pm

noeyedear wrote:I use ac10 in the winter/ wet months and mt43 in the summer/ dry dusty months. Also use the mt43 when in devon as there is more stone and slate down there, lots of people dont agree with my choice but they work for me, and thats what counts, get what works best for you :-)

I agree on the AC10, great tyre. I used to use them all the time. I find the Maxxis to be a similar tyre but a bit cheaper.

I also like the MT43. To be honest, considering it's a square block trials tyre, it's pretty good all year round and, as you say, great for Devon. When I used to do a lot of enduros, the ones on MOD land required a trials rear so my setup was AC10 front with an MT43 for pretty much all of my riding.

Later this week I'll be doing 150 or so miles trailriding on my "S" which is set up as a travel bike. I'm about to chuck on some MT21s so I'll post here on how I find them. It's got very road biased Meffo Explorers on it's feet at the moment which are complete poo in anything sloppy but great for long distance road use and dry, stony trails. (PkUp/Vince)

prking
250cc Trail Rider

Postby prking » Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:24 pm

Thanks for the advice, I think I will give the Maxxis a try, have read some other good reports about them. Will then look forward to putting them to use, not forgetting the spare clutch lever this time.

Beerbelly
750 flat tracker

Postby Beerbelly » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:36 pm

+1 for maxxis

Return to “Kit Recommendations”