tips for cleaning the bike

If you need help with mechanics ask here. If you have tips to share post here.
SLR
120cc Thumpstar Pro

tips for cleaning the bike

Postby SLR » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:33 pm

Got any tips on the best way to get mud and clay off the bike easily, on my third clean of the bike!!! The clay just sticks

Scotty72
350cc Veteran

Re: tips for cleaning the bike

Postby Scotty72 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:23 am

Liberal spraying of the bike's engine,wiring and frame with GT85 after a clean helps disperse water, protect and as it has PTFE in it, it leaves the surface with a film which allows mud etc to be washed off more easily.
Comes in a spray can or you can get a 1 litre spray pump bottle from Amazon for £7.99 including pp.
Scott

Beerbelly
750 flat tracker

Postby Beerbelly » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:40 pm

Try one of these...

steve sharp
LIFE member

Postby steve sharp » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:29 pm

Hi, I presume you have jet washed it? If not that's the only way to get them really clean... then you can use the stuff they sell especially for dirt bikes to get them shiny..

I also want to chat to you about constructing a FAQ section, now I'm back.

Cheers
Steve

big yellow tractor
400cc Thumper

Postby big yellow tractor » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:27 am

I use this stuff http://www.commaoil.com/passenger-vehicles/products/view/343/TRC5L diluted at 10:1 in a trigger spray (an old muck-off one I think)

I give the bike a wetting down with a hose and let it soak a bit while I get the jetwash set up.

Then a quick wash to get the bulky lumps of mud off.

Squirt all over with truckwash and leave for a few minutes before washing off. (don't leave too long, it has been known to mark some anodising; basically I don't let it dry and have never had any problems)

If I'm being picky, I'll give it another spray of truckwash and give it a once over with a brush and a sponge before a thorough rinse.

Don't forget to move the bike so you get to the bits of wheels that you missed the first time. I often lay the bike down on each side to wash it's bottom.

I then dry it off by giving it a little blatt up the road. Then I spray the engine, carb and electrical bits with WD40, lube the chain with EP90 and oil all the pivotty things, brake lever, pegs, stand, etc with engine oil.

Plastics can be prayed with silicone and given a wipe over. Spraying under the mudguards helps throw off some of the really clarty mud.

Obvious but I'll say it anyway.

Don't get slippy stuff on bits that ain't supposed to be slippy, brakes, tyres, seat, etc.

Don't aim your jetwash at rotary seals, i.e. wheel spindles, head races.

SLR
120cc Thumpstar Pro

Postby SLR » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:17 pm

Thanks, will add a pressure washer to the list after some gloves and some body armour. A hose seems to have worked after several attempts.

steve sharp
LIFE member

Postby steve sharp » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:18 pm

Try and find a local petrol station with a jet wash, saves lots of hassle.

Return to “Motorbike Technical & Tips”