Advice on buying a used KTM400 exc

If you need help with mechanics ask here. If you have tips to share post here.
PaulMcLaughlin
250cc Trail Rider

Advice on buying a used KTM400 exc

Postby PaulMcLaughlin » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:05 pm

Hi All,
I'm looking at buying a used KTM 400xtc and need some guidance. I've read so many blogs outlining pros and cons of various flavours my head is reeling but a lot of you guys are KTM riders and straight talkers.

I currently have a choice between...
a 2006 EXC with RFS engine showing 5,500 miles or
a 2008 EXC-R with the XC4 engine showing 2,500 miles.

The internet' tells me RFS engine is strong and reliable if properly maintained. Best of the KTM engines?
I'm also told the XC4 engine (particularily in 2008) had oil/lubrication problems and might be best avoided.

So I'm leaning towards the earlier RFS engine as I like the sound of reliability and being able to adjust the valves without stripping down and sourcing shims. However the prospect of a more recent bike with half the mileage is causing me a dilemma. I don't want to overlook it out of ignorance.

Is working on the XC4 engine a pain?
Is the lubrication of the XC$ a genuine concern given the bike has being running for 7 years?
Is there any difficulty getting parts for and work done on KTMs (Guildford area)?

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul Mc
All the best,
Paul Mc

mudeevee
750 flat tracker

Re: Advice on buying a used KTM400 xtc

Postby mudeevee » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:34 am

From 'talking bikes' with loads of people over the last couple of years the KTM400 exc comes out as many people favourite 4t of all time. Now you've made a good choice, finding a good one is the next challenge. As for RFS v XC4, I think Strongbow will advise. LukeB will be able to help with maintaining either option.

Just to add some confusion... Have you considered the exc350? The fuel injection and cracking motor make these another good choice.....

Cost wise, the 350's are newer, but a well sorted 400 may well demand a premium as they are sought after.
Good luck with the search!

Ps. Will you be painting the new bike green?

Cheers

Derek

PaulMcLaughlin
250cc Trail Rider

Postby PaulMcLaughlin » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:05 pm

Thanks Derek, the 350 looks great but unfortunately out of budget at the moment. I'm looking at spending between £2,500 - £3,000 so my KTM options are limited. The sensible choice for me would probably be a Suzuki DRZ400 E but I quite fancy trading some practicality for less weight, better suspension and increased chuckability. I was toying with a 250exc but I think riding a 2stroke might be just too much hard work.

And I still have half a tin of green on the shelf, might go well with the orange, so you never know. It's nice to be recognisable on the trail but maybe my erratic riding style is enough of a signature :-)

Paul Mc
All the best,
Paul Mc

burls
400cc Thumper

Postby burls » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:27 pm

Hi Paul, I had an RFS 400 EXC from new in 2006 and sold it to Beer Belly 2.5 years ago for £2500. It was mint so you should get a cracker for your budget. The RFS engine is bulletproof and needs no more than basic servicing. Drop a PM to LukeB who has worked on loads and can give you more detail. I remember Sharpie telling me that Motorite took the head of his old RFS with several hundreds hours on the clock and the innards were like new. The only problem is they are readily pinched. Both Beer Belly and Sharpie had theirs knicked (although to be fair the same risk applies to most enduro bikes.)

Beerbelly
750 flat tracker

Postby Beerbelly » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:15 pm

Actually it £2600 as I had the low seat off ya! ;)

Proper gutted when it was nicked.

Stewie
1150 adventurer

Postby Stewie » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:33 pm

Depends what the history of the bikes, the lower mileage '2008 EXC-R with the XC4 engine' may have had a harder life ( raced etc ) the general consensus from people I meet at events is if you can get a latter model RFS engine, that the way to go. :D
Off the beaten track!.

langley beta
250cc Trail Rider

Postby langley beta » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:04 pm

I’ve been running a Beta RR400 from new since 2007 this model is fitted with the KTM RFS engine it’s now done 16,600 miles and cost nothing to run it doesn’t use oil and everything in the engine is still original.

PaulMcLaughlin
250cc Trail Rider

Postby PaulMcLaughlin » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:09 pm

The deed is done!
I'm now a 400exc rider. Seems to be a sound one; it's straight and runs very nicely although I've only ridden it on the road so far. It's also got some useful extras; alloy rack, rad protector, cooling fan, spare seat and a beefier sidestand. It's nice and tidy too but not too tidy so I won't mind when it goes sideways. All in all I'm pretty happy and looking forward to the weekend :-) All I need to do now it seems is to get an immoboliser and a hefty chain.
Thanks for all your input.
All the best,
Paul Mc
All the best,
Paul Mc

mudeevee
750 flat tracker

Postby mudeevee » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:53 am

Enjoy!

PaulMcLaughlin
250cc Trail Rider

Postby PaulMcLaughlin » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:56 pm

langley beta wrote:I’ve been running a Beta RR400 from new since 2007 this model is fitted with the KTM RFS engine it’s now done 16,600 miles and cost nothing to run it doesn’t use oil and everything in the engine is still original.

That's very comforting Langley Beta! I realise it's a pretty highly tuned motor but I'm unlikely to be stressing it and I'm very likely to be doing the regular maintenance myself so it's good to know it's pretty robust.
All the best,
Paul Mc

Return to “Motorbike Technical & Tips”