KTM400exc clutch dragging and diffcult starting in gear

If you need help with mechanics ask here. If you have tips to share post here.
Faisal
350cc Veteran

KTM400exc clutch dragging and diffcult starting in gear

Postby Faisal » Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:27 pm

Ok need some advice for the following problem:

The bike wants to crawl when I have the clutch pulled in - although its not bad (stop it with the foot down) and I do end up having to use the break sometimes. Also starting the bike in gear with clutch in is quite difficult with the big wanting to move forward and seems to be making the starter motor\battery work harder. Also noticed lately that getting into second gear sometimes much more difficult - all other gears are fine. Finding neutral has always been difficult with the bike running - it has been like this from new.

So this hasn't been such an issue when on the lanes as when I am stopped engine is off - I suppose I don't really notice but I have SM wheels on it at the moment and in slow traffic at traffic lights is turning out to be a pain!

Whats been done to date:
- clutch has been blead (no leaks or air) - no change
- oil change - no change
- reduced the gearbox oil by 100ml (suggested on the ktm forum) - no change

So what next?
- new plates? clutch basket?

Any advice would be useful before I give to a mechanic!

Billy
woz bus pass

Re: KTM400exc clutch dragging and diffcult starting in gear

Postby Billy » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:59 am

Quite a common KTM issue. When you change the oil the manual says 700ml of oil in , try 600-650ml its plenty and it makes a big difference. I`ve done this on my 200 from new.

burls
400cc Thumper

Postby burls » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:45 am

My old 400 did it Faisal, although yours is much newer. I ignored it and it seemed to go away. As Grandad says a bit less oil seemed to help. Don't think the sump drains fully and so the danger is you overfill. I never put in more than 650 (same with my 250) and all was well.

Faisal
350cc Veteran

Postby Faisal » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:08 am

Ok chaps that's useful information to know its a common issue - I'll have a play with the oil levels this weekend and see if it makes a difference.

Cheers

burls
400cc Thumper

Postby burls » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:43 am

When you drain the oil, as it slows, lean the bike over both ways to get as much out as possible. Then add 650. Bob's your mother's brother......That's the theory anyway.

Return to “Motorbike Technical & Tips”