Mot requirements?

If you need help with mechanics ask here. If you have tips to share post here.
Motoman
125cc L Plates

Mot requirements?

Postby Motoman » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:00 pm

Need to have my bike Mot'd this week but have realised my speedo dash thing hasn't really worked properly for a while. Just wondering if I need it for the Mot. Understand I need a horn….which i need to fix, but can't find a definitive answer about the speedo some say yes some say no.
Many thanks guys, joe.

19col58
350cc Veteran

Re: Mot requirements?

Postby 19col58 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:33 pm

The speedo is NOT part of the M.O.T. test so it doesn't need to be working to pass.
It IS a requirement for Construction and Use Regulations (or whatever they're called these days) so it is an offence to ride on the road with a defective speedo.

Probably.

smokinrider
250cc Trail Rider

Postby smokinrider » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:39 pm

But it does need to be present. Even if it doesn't work (I think) even if it's the same miles as previous years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coolhand
400cc Thumper

Postby coolhand » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:09 pm

100% don't need a working speedo for mot.

On my old ktm I didn't have a working one for years always got an mot and the mot guys confirmed its not required to pass mot.

Luke A

Bush Pig
350cc Veteran

Postby Bush Pig » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:35 pm

Another MOT query, do you need a light for your number plate and a rear reflector? My bike has neither and I am wondering if I need to get these on the thing for when it needs its first test?

Thanks

John

smokinrider
250cc Trail Rider

Postby smokinrider » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:56 pm

Yes and yes technically.

Fortunately our local guy loves bikes so you basically turn up, he kicks the tyres, you promise him you'll fix the horn that was working when you left home and put new bearings in the wheels as soon as the bits you ordered turns up and hey presto mot. It used to be, "alright nipper, what's this then, a motorcrosser, then he takes a quick blat up and down the road and mot was written!"

big yellow tractor
400cc Thumper

Postby big yellow tractor » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:25 am

Motoman wrote:Need to have my bike Mot'd this week but have realised my speedo dash thing hasn't really worked properly for a while. Just wondering if I need it for the Mot. Understand I need a horn….which i need to fix, but can't find a definitive answer about the speedo some say yes some say no.
Many thanks guys, joe.

You don't need a speedo for MoT. My KTM has nothing and they will just note “Odo not fitted” or such like.

19col58 wrote:The speedo is NOT part of the M.O.T. test so it doesn't need to be working to pass.
It IS a requirement for Construction and Use Regulations (or whatever they're called these days) so it is an offence to ride on the road with a defective speedo.Probably.

I ride with a GPS and use that as a speedo. I wonder if that'd suffice. It is useful when toddling past speed cameras. To be honest though it's so rare to get a tug from Old Bill these days and if you do, they'll just want to nick you for a small plate

Bush Pig wrote:Another MOT query, do you need a light for your number plate and a rear reflector? My bike has neither and I am wondering if I need to get these on the thing for when it needs its first test?
Thanks

John

Number plate light is not a requirement for MoT. I asked the question just before my last one in December because I needed to replace the mashed up rear light.
Reflector is though. You can stick a little round one on the number plate but I've got mine on an ally bracket below.

smokinrider
250cc Trail Rider

Postby smokinrider » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:29 am

I stand corrected.
Neither speedo or numberplate light required.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... es-1-2.pdf

Bush Pig
350cc Veteran

Postby Bush Pig » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:21 pm

Number plate light is not a requirement for MoT. I asked the question just before my last one in December because I needed to replace the mashed up rear light.
Reflector is though. You can stick a little round one on the number plate but I've got mine on an ally bracket below.

Many thanks for the info.

John

Motoman
125cc L Plates

Postby Motoman » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:52 pm

Thanks for all the replies guys, really appreciated. I also have the issue of the horn not working and can't even locate the wire its supposed to connect to so need to buy something to replace that………before saturday. oops

GDAS
LIFE member

Postby GDAS » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:26 am

battery powered cycle horn such as this Megahorn should pass http://www.fatbirds.co.uk/1542/products ... ahorn.aspx?

Return to “Motorbike Technical & Tips”