Sherco Trials electrics

If you need help with mechanics ask here. If you have tips to share post here.
NigelC
350cc Veteran

Sherco Trials electrics

Postby NigelC » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:46 am

After a good wash down with the garden hose after the last time I used it, my Sherco wouldn't start yesterday. Did a crude check of the ignition and I couldn't get any spark so assuming maybe some water has got where it shouldn't.

I unplugged the coil and checked primary and secondary resistance and that looks OK, then had a look at the wires from the CDI unit and nothing untoward but I wasn't able to get the Stator connector out and didn't get any further.

If anyone has any detailed technical knowledge of the ignition system on these bikes I'd be grateful for any information. Otherwise, does anyone know of a local garage that deals with trials bikes and that may be able to help...?

Many thanks

Nigel
Nigel TT250R Cooper

MuddySully
400cc Thumper

Re: Sherco Trials electrics

Postby MuddySully » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:04 pm

Nigel,
Just a thought, you haven't mentioned the kill switch in your check list, are you using a button or lanyard type, either way it may be worth checking.
Peter

NigelC
350cc Veteran

Postby NigelC » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:58 pm

Peter,

I had the CDI kill switch lead unplugged from the lead that goes up to the handlebar, leaving it open circuit, which I believe is the same as on...?
Nigel TT250R Cooper

NigelC
350cc Veteran

Postby NigelC » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:18 pm

So, after stator removal and involvement of Bradford ignitions, it still wasn't working and finally, eventually, tracked it down to the ignition coil, as basically the only component left!

This was checking out ok with a multi Meter but was clearly breaking down at high voltage.

£7 replacement off amazon! :shock: :(
Nigel TT250R Cooper

Return to “Motorbike Technical & Tips”