Tubliss 2nd Gen dual tyre chamber

If you need help with mechanics ask here. If you have tips to share post here.
jaggers
250cc Trail Rider

Tubliss 2nd Gen dual tyre chamber

Postby jaggers » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:09 am

I have carefully followed the installation of Tubliss 2nd Gen using soap and water and new un-used Michelin Enduro Medium and am unable to get a seal. I have removed the Tubliss and tyre to check for damage, reinstalled and done the reset twice. I am quite good at getting the tyre on and off now !
Looking at the internet, this problem seems common. I am now thinking of removing all components and washing off the soap and starting again using a tyre sealant. 'Slime Tubeless Tyre Sealant' seems to be the choice. Does anyone have a better idea ?

ScruffyDroid
350cc Veteran

Re: Tubliss 2nd Gen dual tyre chamber

Postby ScruffyDroid » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:50 am

Jaggers

I had an issue with my Tubliss when I first got it, and it wasn't sealing. It is critical to have a clean rim and that your tyre's bead is not damaged in any way. Certain tyres are better suited to Tublis - I use Maxxis EnduroPro and IT Pro and they work fine. I landed up cleaning everything off and starting again. You need to use LOADS of soapy water to get a seal and pump the inner up to 110psi with a compressor / CO2 Cartridge. I had no success using a handpump!

If you use a slime to fill it, next time you take it off, you will have a hell of a mess!
Beta Xtrainer 300 :roll:
Honda CRF230F :oops:
ex-Kawasaki KDX220R (now sold to a fellow TRF Member) :mrgreen:

MuddySully
400cc Thumper

Postby MuddySully » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:15 pm

I agree with Barry,

I have used Tubliss with Michelin enduro medium, Golden tyre and Metz enduro without sealing problems and the trick is lots of soapy water and clean wheel rims. I have managed to seal the tyre using only a high pressure bicycle pump up to 110 psi.

Another trick is after applying soapy water and before pumping either tube is to bounce the wheel around so the tyre seats correctly.

i assume you have watched the Tubliss tutorial on Youtube, as always they make it look easy

Cheers,

Peter.

boredus
250cc Trail Rider

Postby boredus » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:36 pm

Have you worked out where the leak is?
Is it instant or an overnight flat?
Are there any flat spots / dings / or hairline fractures in the rim?
If it goes flat overnight, what is the pressure in the Tubliss core?

I have been using the same (admittedly dented) Beta XTrainer rims now for over 2 years. Multiple tire changes etc without any issues. I used tyre sealant about 5 years ago on my first Tubliss setup, it goes off before I have ever got round to changing tires and needs cleaning off before starting again.

Now I just use lots and lots of soapy water sprayed on the pink nylon tubliss, the tire and the rim. When it comes to pumping up the tubliss inner core, I use a track pump. Dont tighten the wheel lock until after it is all nicely sealed and pumped up. On an the old KTM wheels I had, if I tightened the wheel lock up to much it started leaking around the wheel lock.

Good Luck!

jaggers
250cc Trail Rider

Postby jaggers » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:22 pm

Thanks for the useful tips guys. Having researched the internet and seen many youtube videos, it is apparent that getting a good seal with soapy water is hit and miss. In the end I removed the tyre again and washed off the soap. Refitted the Tubliss bladder and casing and smeared ‘Slime’ on both side of the red casing. Fitted the tyre using silicon spray for lubricant and then squirted a small amount of slime down the low pressure valve stem. I used about a ¼ of the recommended amount of Slime with the plan of using more if it didn’t seal. However, I had success with both front and rear on the 1st attempted using Slime as above and I didn’t find it too messy. I got a Joeblow sport 3 pump for £26 from Halfords, which can pump up to 160p.s.i. and two bead buddies which really helped. Keep an eye on 'valve creep' when you put the tyre on. Lining up the two valves to the holes and keeping it lined up is not easy. By the way, it caught me by surprise that the Michelin Enduro Medium TT are directional. Fortunately, the tyre was only half on when I realised.

MuddySully
400cc Thumper

Postby MuddySully » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:42 am

Perfect, you are now the expert.
Great choice of tyre, you won't be disappointed.
Peter

jaggers
250cc Trail Rider

Postby jaggers » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:02 pm

Having used Tubliss for a few rides I am very pleased with the system and Michelin Enduro Medium tyre. Managed to get up Beggar’s Lane in very wet conditions without falling off each time. As for the Tubliss, the real advantage is that I have to go down the A3 from Cobham to Peasmarsh to meet the other riders. Having the tyre pressure at 30 psi for the A3 then reducing the pressure to 10 psi for green laning, and the ability to pump up the pressure for home bound along the A3 is great. I used mousses for a number of years but had two melt on me, once resulting the back tyre to come off the rim. If you have to do a lot of medium speed road work going faster than 50mph then Tubliss is my choice.

Return to “Motorbike Technical & Tips”