Honda CRF250l vs Yamaha TTR250

If you need help with mechanics ask here. If you have tips to share post here.
Jezben
250cc Trail Rider

Postby Jezben » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:38 pm

Hi all
fairly new to Surrey TRF. I have been to the meeting and also been on a newbie's ride recently.
My bike is a Honda crf250l 2014 with new off road tyres on it. Standard apart from that.

I have been offered a 2006 Yam TTR250 (13k miles) from an old friend of mine who has given up green laning so is selling his bike and gear.

I originally chose the Honda for its low seat height (being vertically challenged) to gain a little confidence. But now realise its quite a heavy bike.

My question is/

Whats your opinion of the Yam vs Honda?
I have ridden the Yam and i'm ok with the seat height.
The Yam is also 25kg lighter, but is older (is that a problem?) Been maintained and had various parts replaced recently (brake discs, pads, rear wheelbearings, chain, sprocket.)

The honda is newer and fuel injected not carburettor as the Yam is (is that even a comparison)

I'd be interested to know any advice you may have for a novice.

Thanks Jez

silvergull
400cc Thumper

Re: Honda CRF250l vs Yamaha TTR250

Postby silvergull » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:53 pm

Hi. I ride a 2006 TTR, so am very familiar with these, and am happy to give you advice for purchase if you need it, ie on things to look out for, etc. so pm me for info- As to Honda, never ridden your model so cannot say, but did have a really good xr250 once, a wonderful bike, and an xr 400 too which also was great. but the TTR is in fact perfect ! ( others will of course disagree!) cheers bc
Beano: Appears on a Wednesday

stevent
1150 adventurer

Postby stevent » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:00 am

You should look at the Yamaha WR250R.

This replaced the TTR. They are rare in the UK as Yamaha stopped importing them but they are still manufactured and have a big following in the US.

They are a much better off road bike than the Honda “L”. Much lighter and nimbler. I’ve had mine for years and 40,000 miles in the clock and it’s still going strong.

Any dual purpose is a compromise. I also have a WR250F. The R and F are like chalk and cheese on the trails.

The F being much more capable and easier to ride, it just floats along trails like a magic carpet. But you can’t ride long distances on the motorway at 70 mph on the F, like you can on the R.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jezben
250cc Trail Rider

Postby Jezben » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:09 am

Thanks so much for your advice, silvergull, Steven.

It sounds as though the Yam in either form is probably better off road than the Crf l.
I will take a look at the WR thanks for that.

The F sounds an amazing machine, but think I would need a step ladder to get on it. Being able to put my foot down is a must at the moment, being quite new to off roading.

Not about for the next begginers ride, but hope to be about for the meeting at Ripley.

ScruffyDroid
350cc Veteran

Postby ScruffyDroid » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:45 am

As someone who is "vertically challenged" (1.68m / 5'6"), it might be worthwhile looking at a Beta Xtrainer. They have a 10% smaller frame than a full-size Enduro...

https://www.dirtrider.com/2019-beta-xtrainer-review/
Beta Xtrainer 300 :roll:
Honda CRF230F :oops:
ex-Kawasaki KDX220R (now sold to a fellow TRF Member) :mrgreen:

kevpg
400cc Thumper

Postby kevpg » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:21 pm

Jezben wrote:Hi all
fairly new to Surrey TRF. I have been to the meeting and also been on a newbie's ride recently.
My bike is a Honda crf250l 2014 with new off road tyres on it. Standard apart from that.

I have been offered a 2006 Yam TTR250 (13k miles) from an old friend of mine who has given up green laning so is selling his bike and gear.

I originally chose the Honda for its low seat height (being vertically challenged) to gain a little confidence. But now realise its quite a heavy bike.

My question is/

Whats your opinion of the Yam vs Honda?
I have ridden the Yam and i'm ok with the seat height.
The Yam is also 25kg lighter, but is older (is that a problem?) Been maintained and had various parts replaced recently (brake discs, pads, rear wheelbearings, chain, sprocket.)

The honda is newer and fuel injected not carburettor as the Yam is (is that even a comparison)

I'd be interested to know any advice you may have for a novice.

Thanks Jez

TTR is the better bike of the two, buy that keep it for a couple of years, enjoy it and get your money back.
Kev

Jezben
250cc Trail Rider

Postby Jezben » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:35 pm

Thanks for more info. Quite like the sound of the Beta xtrainer. But not used to 2 smokers. Probably outside my price range at the moment.

Good advice kev, might just do it! :roll:

NigelC
350cc Veteran

Postby NigelC » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:21 am

I also have a TTR, and agree with Brian that they are undoubtedly the best trail bike in the world! :D :D

I had mine from when I'd never been off road before, and whilst three years on you might still think I'd never been off road before, it has been an absolute rock, coped with everything I've thrown at it, mostly the ground and a few trees, and come back for more. Starts on the button first time and never let me down. Simple to maintain too.

Mine is a '55 reg with about 15k miles on it.
Nigel TT250R Cooper

Jezben
250cc Trail Rider

Postby Jezben » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:05 pm

Thanks Nigel

I have taken the plunge and bought it. So now need to offload the crf250l.

If your the Nigel at the meeting last night, we briefly spoke. I was sitting with Steve, Mark and the new member. Also enquired on training!
Next time we chat we can wax lyrical on ttr's. :roll:

Return to “Motorbike Technical & Tips”