Finding decent switched power feeds

If you need help with mechanics ask here. If you have tips to share post here.
neil
120cc Thumpstar Pro

Finding decent switched power feeds

Postby neil » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:56 pm

Are there any electrical boffins on here who are good at seeking out the best places to get at an ignition switched power feed?

Hints/tips appreciated - recommendations to use chock blocks and inline splicers not so much...

GDAS
LIFE member

Re: Finding decent switched power feeds

Postby GDAS » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:29 am

YouTube is your friend

neil
120cc Thumpstar Pro

Re: Finding decent switched power feeds

Postby neil » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:58 pm

Thanks for that. He's right in saying you should crimp and not solder. Crimping is significantly more reliable than soldering.

I ended up taking a switched feed from the rear light as dipped beam disconnects when you turn on main beam. And the rear light circuit is a nice safe feed that if you cock up won't fry anything expensive. Slight problem in that the wiring diagram shows a 'B' and a 'Bl' pair of wires. One's blue and the other's Black with silver stripes. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Anyway, I did like he said but used a crimp terminal with built in glue. Crimping relies on cold welding and I'm not sure his crimper exerts enough pressure. Borrow a ratchet crimp tool, if you can ;)

Once re-wrapped it's hard to see what's been done

I followed on by adding a relay to get my own 15A 'Aux' feed instead of just piggy backing on sone existing stuff.

Luckily there's a perfect spot for a relay on a CRF. 8-)

Heated Grips got their own fuse, as did the USB socket.

I'm quite pleased with the end result.

Return to “Motorbike Technical & Tips”