Broken spokes.

If you need help with mechanics ask here. If you have tips to share post here.
jaggers
250cc Trail Rider

Broken spokes.

Postby jaggers » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:35 pm

I stupidly broke two spokes on my rear 18" wheel for my Yamamha WR250F year 2015. I have straightened the spokes but I need new nipples. Unfortunately, the two KTM nipples given to me doesn’t quite screw onto my spokes. The diameter of the thread is 4.35mm, and the pitch of the thread is 0.8mm. The KTM nipple will go on but tightens up after about 4 turns. Looking at eBay, I can’t find a source to get just two spokes in the UK. I can from China or the USA but will take a couple of weeks delivery. I can get a set from Yamaha for about £100, delivery time unknown. I’m tempted to put the spoke in a vice and force the KTM nipple onto the spoke thread, and if the nipple hasn’t broken install it on the wheel. The nipple is aluminum. Any ideas ?

kevpg
400cc Thumper

Re: Broken spokes.

Postby kevpg » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:10 pm

http://www.sfxwheels.moonfruit.com/

Ian,

Try this chap, I used him in the past, very knowledgeable and good service.

Kev

jaggers
250cc Trail Rider

Postby jaggers » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:07 am

Thanks Kev, I have found used spokes for my bike on eBay costing £3.19 each last night which I have ordered and should arrive by post Monday. Not fitted spokes before but I assume you tap them and tune it by sound. The nipples are aluminium so got to be careful not to over tighten. I did order an extra spoke. The hard bit will be refitting my Tubliss tyre .... should be an expert on this soon. Cheers, Ian

MuddySully
400cc Thumper

Postby MuddySully » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:28 pm

jaggers wrote:Thanks Kev, I have found used spokes for my bike on eBay costing £3.19 each last night which I have ordered and should arrive by post Monday. Not fitted spokes before but I assume you tap them and tune it by sound. The nipples are aluminium so got to be careful not to over tighten. I did order an extra spoke. The hard bit will be refitting my Tubliss tyre .... should be an expert on this soon. Cheers, Ian

Ian,
You can replace spokes individually if they go from inside to outside, however if they are the other way. (Outside to in) you may find the other spokes (already in the wheel) will get in the way because of the cross over. Spokes cross over eachother, often more than once.
Hopefully all your broken ones are in to out. If not you'll need a complete rebuild.
Peter

jaggers
250cc Trail Rider

Postby jaggers » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:14 am

Thanks Peter, fortunately I fitted the two spokes with no problem. Not having a torque wrench for spokes, I tightened them so when tapped they sounded like the others. When I spun the wheel there was no noticeable warp. Also managed to get the tubliss tyre back on with reasonable ease by warming the tyre by the house radiator, silicon spray and tyre 'slime' which I got from Halfords. So when the weather is better I'm back on the road.

Return to “Motorbike Technical & Tips”