No oil filter crf250l

If you need help with mechanics ask here. If you have tips to share post here.
Kevin
50cc Honda PC

No oil filter crf250l

Postby Kevin » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:46 am

Hi. I bought a 2013 crf250l from a dealership last year, they did MOT and service as part of sale. I decided to do an old and filter change yesterday after about 3000 miles. To my surprise the dealership had forgotten to put and oil filter in. The spring had been put back but no filter, this means I've been running my bike with no filter for 3000 miles, there were metal flakes in the oil and on the magnet. I've contacted the dealership, they are apologetic and asked how I want to proceed in terms of compensation, I said I would think on it as I was to angry and I would get back to them. How much damage could have been done to my engine and what should I do about this? Please help ?

HuskyAndy
250cc Trail Rider

Re: No oil filter crf250l

Postby HuskyAndy » Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:50 pm

If it's the dealer I think it is it wouldn't surprise me, personally I would go after them, metal flakes in the oil are not good. Without a filter in place your engine has been running with very low oil pressure, you are very lucky it didn't seize. I would imagine that every bearing is worn out, what colour was the oil when it come out?, was it black or Silver?. If it was Silver it's been contaminated with metal, I hope you got a invoice for the work they performed. Inform them you require another engine, they should find a low mileage unit on eBay. Do not be settle with a offer of a rebuild, you will always worry about, you went to a Honda 5 star dealership, their standard's fell well below what should reasonably expected, good luck.

Return to “Motorbike Technical & Tips”