Wiring Loom on WR250F

If you need help with mechanics ask here. If you have tips to share post here.
jaggers
250cc Trail Rider

Wiring Loom on WR250F

Postby jaggers » Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:00 pm

My Yamaha is 6 years old and about 2 years ago, a wire within the loom that wraps round the steering head broke, causing the motor to die. This happened near to home and I retrieved the bike with my pickup truck. I soldered the break in the wire. The 2nd time it died was on Hawkley 24 (Standfast Lane) a few days ago. On pushing the starter button, you could hear the fuel pump for a few seconds, but no display on the speedo and nothing from the engine. Tried kick starting it but nothing. With a lot of help from my fellow riders we managed to push/pull the bike up the very rocky slope to the road. Had we not had a tow rope this would have been impossible. We tried towing bike to bike but the track was too difficult. Once on the road which had a downhill slope, to my surprise we managed to bump start it. I went home by road knowing that if I stalled that was it. The next day I removed all the fairings and checked the fuses, wiggled all the connectors and looms and the bike started. I wiggled all the connectors and loom again in the hope I could repeat the fault but was unable. The problem now is that I have an intermittent fault which I can’t trace. Any ideas?

TonyR
400cc Thumper

Re: Wiring Loom on WR250F

Postby TonyR » Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:11 pm

Steven T had a similar problem with his WR a couple of months ago and it was the terminals to the starter relay appeared ok but had rotted away, they were replaced and packed with electrical grease and it's been fine since.

jaggers
250cc Trail Rider

Postby jaggers » Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:38 am

Thanks Tony, I'll check that.

silvergull
400cc Thumper

Postby silvergull » Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:53 am

Btw- Standfast Lane is closed under the current TRO, which is now extended until November. 2023.
Beano: Appears on a Wednesday

Return to “Motorbike Technical & Tips”