Tyre lever co2 inflation kit advice please..

If you need help with mechanics ask here. If you have tips to share post here.
Scotty72
350cc Veteran

Tyre lever co2 inflation kit advice please..

Postby Scotty72 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:02 pm

Hi All

Now, tyre levers (to have on the trail) might just be tyre levers, however before buying some are some makes better than others and should they be metal or plastic..advise please! :)

Also, would a co2 tyre inflation kit like this be a good idea (I used to carry one when out on the mountainbike and it saved all that 'pumping' :? )
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOTORBIKE-CO2 ... 2a2d260c38

Looking forward on the demo of how to change a tyre at the next TRF meeting...I'm expecting blood, sweat and swearing in varying amounts.. :lol:

Thanks

Dave
250cc

Re: Tyre lever co2 inflation kit advice please..

Postby Dave » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:44 pm

1 front innertube & 2 - 3 tyre levers, made of metal. Longer = easier.
I personally like the spoon type lever opposed to the thicker irons you can get.

Motion pro make a tyre lever that also incorporates a closed spanner, perfect for wheel nuts. FURTHERMORE they also make an insert for the spanner end which turns it into a 3/8" ratchet. Someone on here had one out on the trail and I was MIGHTILY impressed!

Weight is such a pain when riding!

I'm running ultra heavy duty inner tubes and I've filled them with some slime/gunk so minor poplin tires should self repair. I've not had a puncture yet and I have deserved one quite a few times!!!

nostinkinbadges
120cc Thumpstar Pro

Postby nostinkinbadges » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:55 pm

Best advice I can give you is to run mooses.
Plastic tyre levers!!!!!

They need to be metal. I used to strap 3 to the crossbar of the handlebars.

Hopefully no sweat to changing a tyre/innertube, it does take some practice though.
I read a wonderful story about Steve McQueen when he entered the ISDT in 1963. In those days as a competitor you had to be able to change the tyre in 3min and you had to demonstrate it to the organising officials. Team Captain Bud Ekins (Who actually jumped the bike in the Great Escape and did most of the stunt driving in Bullit) owned a motorcycle shop close to where McQueen lived in California and would have him working out the back in the workshop changing tyres to get him up to speed. Customers would be told to take the bike around to the back of the shop where the 'Boy' would sort them out with new tyres. Imagine their surprise when they were confronted with one of the most famous actors in the world at the time, holding a couple of tyre leavers and setting about their wheels in double quick time.
Can't imagine Charlie or Ewan doing that!

Billy
woz bus pass

Postby Billy » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:17 pm

`Tyre Levers...............I dont need no stinkin Tyre Levers.................`

Billy
woz bus pass

Postby Billy » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:30 pm

Upon reflection probably only one person on the forum who will understand my last post.

silvergull
400cc Thumper

Postby silvergull » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:37 am

the longer ones by Buzatto or Buzetto have a notched end, which is great to prevent pinching the tube. plastic levers work well on most bicycle tyres, but do not even work on downhill specific tyres, so for m/ cycles I do not think they even exist. i use tubes, and carry 3 longer notched levers, always. not enough strength in my hands to use the shorter version.
Beano: Appears on a Wednesday

Return to “Motorbike Technical & Tips”