DRZ 400 (E) starter issue

If you need help with mechanics ask here. If you have tips to share post here.
big yellow tractor
400cc Thumper

Postby big yellow tractor » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:56 am

The last few times I've used my bike, the starter had been "a bit sticky" then given up after a while.

I rode out on Saturday and I got the dog with kicking it, even though it always goes in one to three kicks.

Decided to investigate on Sunday.

I had checked the battery when I first had the problem by charging it then hooking it up to a halogen lamp and timing how long it ran before fading out. A simple calculation concluded that it had about the right amount of amps for about the time it should have.

The starter solenoid was happy to click so I called that OK.

I checked continuity between the solenoid and the starter and also the earth. All OK

I rigged a hot wire from the bike's battery direct to the starter but got nowt so now we're in to getting the starter off. Not an overly difficult process but does require the removal of the full exhaust, the clutch cable guide and the crankcase breather pipe. I had a right battle getting the header and silencer to separate.

With the starter off, I wired it to a car battery and it span up if I helped it with a flick.

Stripped it apart and it didn't look like anything much was wrong but it was very mucky inside. As suggested in the manual, I polished up the commutator with 400 grit scratch, scraped the crud from between the segments and cleaned all the carbon dust of everything. I checked for continuity between each segment of the armature and that there was none between the segments and the shaft. The brushes had plenty on them so I just de-nibbed them and re-assembled.

I touched it across the car battery and the bloody thing nearly did for my iffy wrist as it spun out of my hand (note to self; clamp the thing down next time, knob-end)

Got the lot back on the bike and all the other bits mounted and changed the air-filter while the side panel was off.

Fuel on, choke on, hit start button and.......................CLICK !

Oh Cock !!!!!!!!!!!

Stood there fuming for a bit, trying to think if I really good be arsed to look into it or should I just call my bike a DRZ Kicker from now on.

Got the car battery out and a couple of good jump leads, hooked the earth up to the engine and put a big fat alloy tent-peg in the crocodile-clip on the pozzi lead so I could reach in behind the engine to the starter. A flash of a spark and the starter-motor span up happilly.

Ok, ignition on, fuel on, choke on, hit start button and...................tizz-brummmmmm-put-put-put-brmmmmm-burble-burble-burble.

Sorted !!!!!!!!

(I hope)

Dave
250cc

Re: DRZ 400 (E) starter issue

Postby Dave » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:32 am

Inb4 BusPass says anything about buying a KTM!

Stewie
1150 adventurer

Postby Stewie » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:46 pm

so, all in all you cleaned the starter.. :shock: :lol:
Was it the starter bushes or the sprag clutch and or the bendix drive.
Off the beaten track!.

Billy
woz bus pass

Postby Billy » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:03 pm

gtcodave wrote:Inb4 BusPass says anything about buying a KTM!

Shoulda bought a ...........................Damn ,too late......................

big yellow tractor
400cc Thumper

Postby big yellow tractor » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:44 pm

Stewie wrote:so, all in all you cleaned the starter.. :shock: :lol:
Was it the starter bushes or the sprag clutch and or the bendix drive.

Neither; seems it was just the carbon from the normal wear on the brushes, possibly causing a short-circuit within the motor. That's my guess anyway. Seems fine now. We'll see if it behaves on Sunday

Bus Pass wrote:
gtcodave wrote:Inb4 BusPass says anything about buying a KTM!

Shoulda bought a ...........................Damn ,too late......................

Yeah, right ! Gay-Tea-Ems never break down ! ;)

I don't think there will be many mucky-brown coloured bikes that make anywhere near the mileage possible with a Dr. Zed or cost so little per hour of fun to own. My “E” would sell for only £600 less than I paid for it just over nine years ago.

Billy
woz bus pass

Postby Billy » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:53 pm

2 DRZ`s on here with problems, cant see any post`s` for KTM`s with issues.........................

big yellow tractor
400cc Thumper

Postby big yellow tractor » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:26 pm

Bus Pass wrote:2 DRZ`s on here with problems, cant see any post`s` for KTM`s with issues.........................

They probably went off to a KTM dealer for repairs and cost so much that people are too embarrassed to post :)

Anyway, mine hasn't got problems................ it had a small issue.

Beerbelly
750 flat tracker

Postby Beerbelly » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:04 pm

Got exactly the same problem with my gas gas.... Bloody starter motor. Had it rebuilt already. Probably a do-do job in the first place. Back in the workshop for them to have another go... Gutted. Never mind crf on the way.. :D apparently these gas gas from 2002 need a starter motor upgrade - Thor motorcycles have them with adapter brackets... But another 250 quid. I burned too many £50 notes on it already :cry: oh and I just been told the sprag is gone too... So excited!

Beerbelly
750 flat tracker

Postby Beerbelly » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:19 pm

Found that I can get the clutch bit from the manufacturer and rebuild the sprag... £120 from ringspann uk. rather than £300 from gas gas happy days :)

Return to “Motorbike Technical & Tips”