Battery

If you need help with mechanics ask here. If you have tips to share post here.
Corky78
350cc Veteran

Battery

Postby Corky78 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:41 pm

Hi all,

Would like advice on batteries please.

I have a standard one on my KTM at the moment but have been doing some reading around Lithium Iron - they weigh less, discharge slower and charge quicker. Sounds great but is it actually true?

Anyone had one?

Reason for asking is the initial investment is high - around £50 for a battery and then I'd need a new charger too (another £50). If they last 4/5 times that of a normal battery, then worth investing. Otherwise, I won't really notice the weight difference (as I'm a fat b@stard!) and as I put my standard battery on a Optimate, I don't have charging problems - therefore may be easier to go with a standard and replace every few years as necessary.

Would appreciate feedback from those in the know.

Cheers
Corky

KTM 450 EXC 2006

Stewie
1150 adventurer

Re: Battery

Postby Stewie » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:20 pm

If your looking to change your battery, the best one to get IMHO is the GelBatt has a better cold crank, also came up in conversation the other day, is the fact that most electric starters on Enduro type bikes are in fact re-starters, so use the Kick Starter first thing and then once the engine has warmed up then use the electric starter.
Off the beaten track!.

Dave
250cc

Postby Dave » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:38 pm

On the subject of Lithium Ion batts:

Couldn't confirm how much longer they will last but the technology surrounding them makes them an excellent choice if the charge is constantly fluctuating.

However, just like with phones, lithium ion/polymer batteries suffer from overcharging and prolonged discharge. This causes crystallisation within the battery and you forfeit your capacity. Normally you'd get about 3000 cycles in one of these batteries before it degrades from normal use. So in theory it could be very good for An enduro bike.

Lead Acid batteries are a good choice for vehicles in their own way because they don't suffer from over charge. But perhaps they aren't the best choice for an enduro bike which is under so much strain?

Be interested to hear from anyone using one of these newer batts.

Beerbelly
750 flat tracker

Postby Beerbelly » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:00 pm

+1 for gel batteries. LiOn batteries - leave them for your smart phone or laptop!

mudeevee
750 flat tracker

Postby mudeevee » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:05 pm

I whacked a Lithium on my Husaberg as a trial. No problems to date and it has never hinted at going flat between rides. Never charged it as yet, except when riding.

Been on the bike since September........

big yellow tractor
400cc Thumper

Postby big yellow tractor » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:54 am

Last couple of batteries I've bought have been these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350872009651? ... 1439.l2648

£42.00 inc delivery.

Fully sealed battery, seem to have good cranking power. One has been on my S for three years and I've just bought one to replace the aging one on the E.

Obviously riding a DRZ, weight isn't an issue but value for money is.

G-Bru
You should've bought a KTM!

Postby G-Bru » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:01 am

Shorai.

Just checked my battery and my Optimate is reporting a status on the battery of "Weak", so it looks like the standard battery lasts roughly 1 year. Gonna try the LFX14L2-BS12 version, 135A Cold Cranking!! Just what the KTM starters need! 8-)

http://shoraipower.com

G
Grant

KTM 250EXC SixDays

big yellow tractor
400cc Thumper

Postby big yellow tractor » Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:20 pm

What's the price in the UK ?

Their US website gives a price for a DRZ battery of $150. It'd have to be bloody good and last forever for that much coin.

Return to “Motorbike Technical & Tips”