Tyres and Mousses

Post and discuss good dirt bike shops and garages
Billy
woz bus pass

Re: Tyres and Mousses

Postby Billy » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:42 am

Mending a puncture on the trails is all part of trail riding,its no problem.The worst part of it is the piss taking while your on your hands and knees up to the elbows in tyre levers and spanners.I run mooses cos i dont like getting my hands dirty.As for the legality, i have `false valves`in my wheels so all looks good.

big yellow tractor
400cc Thumper

Postby big yellow tractor » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:43 pm

steve braham wrote:Mending a puncture on the trails is all part of trail riding,its no problem.The worst part of it is the piss taking while your on your hands and knees up to the elbows in tyre levers and spanners.

Ain't that the truth :D

I also enjoy how everyone puts their oar in "You don't want to do it like that, you want to do it like this" :lol:

If you really think that the lads you are riding with would consider their day was ruined by someone getting a puncture then you probably need to find some other guys to ride with. They should all be very willing to muck in and get you going asap. Otherwise, what's the "F" in TRF for.

I've never had any success with the tyre-weld spray foam things.

I used to run mouses when I raced a lot but just use HD tubes these days.

burls
400cc Thumper

Postby burls » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:44 am

G-Bru wrote: appropriate ultra heavy duty tubes.

I ran UHD tubes for 2k miles around our lanes without a single puncture. I'm giving mousses a go now but if the faff is an issue, UHD is the way to go. Saves a load of cash also.

G-Bru
You should've bought a KTM!

Postby G-Bru » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:42 pm

burls wrote:
G-Bru wrote: appropriate ultra heavy duty tubes.

Saves a load of cash also.

Oh yeah! Damn things (mooooooses) are more expensive than the tyres themselves.....

G
Grant

KTM 250EXC SixDays

Billy
woz bus pass

Postby Billy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:15 pm

If you were stuck in the middle of nowhere you wouldn`t have any choice.Tyre foam is a waste of time and money.

blackflyer
125cc L Plates

Postby blackflyer » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:34 pm

A couple of years ago, i had an accident.Of which a had a compression punchure on the front. For some reason i couldn't stand up very well so every one mucked in and changed my front tube for me.Any way after carrying on for the rest of the day I got home and took my armour off and found the reason that I couldn't stand was that I had cracked 2 rib's,torn ligamet in right knee and had a massive bruised hip.I even think that at that time I never even carried a spare tube.I now carry spare tube,lever's,foot pump.But no spare rib's.
My theory of the motor car.
They have too many wheel's, get in our way, and all end up in the same place.

Billy
woz bus pass

Postby Billy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:46 pm

blackflyer wrote:A couple of years ago, i had an accident.Of which a had a compression punchure on the front. For some reason i couldn't stand up very well so every one mucked in and changed my front tube for me.Any way after carrying on for the rest of the day I got home and took my armour off and found the reason that I couldn't stand was that I had cracked 2 rib's,torn ligamet in right knee and had a massive bruised hip.I even think that at that time I never even carried a spare tube.I now carry spare tube,lever's,foot pump.But no spare rib's.

But if you carry a mobile phone you can always ring the local takeaway for spare ribs (no36 i think,just after prawn crackers) They should be with you within 1/2 hour.

burls
400cc Thumper

Postby burls » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:05 am

steve braham wrote:But if you carry a mobile phone you can always ring the local takeaway for spare ribs (no36 i think,just after prawn crackers) They should be with you within 1/2 hour.

Quicker if you collect and 10% off
:mrgreen:

Dave
250cc

Postby Dave » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:23 pm

steve braham wrote:Mending a puncture on the trails is all part of trail riding,its no problem.The worst part of it is the piss taking while your on your hands and knees up to the elbows in tyre levers and spanners.I run mooses cos i dont like getting my hands dirty.As for the legality, i have `false valves`in my wheels so all looks good.

i've only ever had to change my tube once on the trails and never again. it's a piece of piss to do, but the mental torture, the thought of putting a muddy spindle back into the wheel annoyed me so much!

bought a couple of mooses but haven't tried putting them on yet. braham where do i get me some fake valves?!?!

JossNorm
250cc Trail Rider

Postby JossNorm » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:31 pm

"braham where do i get me some fake valves?!?!"

I second the request for that Information, please.

mudeevee
750 flat tracker

Postby mudeevee » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:53 am

When you fit the mouses, you'll be discarding the old tubes?

Cut round the valve on each of the old tubes (about half an inch around the valve) and what you have left are 2 'fake valves'. Stick em in the wheel valve hole, screw em in, fit the mouse and tyre over the top and Paul Daniels wouldn't spot the fake ;)

Dave
250cc

Postby Dave » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:09 am

D'uh why didn't I think like that!?

Also while we're on the subject of tyres.

Maxxis M7304!

Had I known you could get road legal versions of these. When I switched to trail riding I would have bloody got them ages ago.

In my naivety I assumed that, having bought them for years for my YZ they only come in NHS, they wouldn't do a legal version. I wouldn't have wasted 600quid on buying FIM approved bollocks over and over had I looked into it properly.

Only when I started seeing people with them on did it click, that you fellas using them weren't rubbing the NHS off lol

Return to “Suppliers & Service”