Disks

Post and discuss good dirt bike shops and garages
Weet-rider
250cc Trail Rider

Re: Disks

Postby Weet-rider » Tue May 19, 2015 6:35 am

Stewie wrote:I always thought it was to increase the surface area, as heat loss through convection is increased in proportion to the surface area, thus reducing the risk of brake fade and keeping the pad gap :D

and allow steam and gas to escape from between pad/disc.......or I may be talking hot air :lol:

Beerbelly
750 flat tracker

Postby Beerbelly » Thu May 21, 2015 8:32 am

Stewie wrote:I always thought it was to increase the surface area, as heat loss through convection is increased in proportion to the surface area, thus reducing the risk of brake fade and keeping the pad gap :D

Wouldn't increase surface area if you are drilling holes in it! Would decrease!

Grobb
125cc L Plates

Postby Grobb » Thu May 21, 2015 10:40 am

Depends on the thickness of the disk, but generally if you do the calcs, it does increase surface area/vol ratio, because you are removing more volume than area. It is mainly to aid with venting to help reduce fade and wear.

Beerbelly
750 flat tracker

Disks

Postby Beerbelly » Thu May 21, 2015 12:25 pm

Grobb wrote:Depends on the thickness of the disk, but generally if you do the calcs, it does increase surface area/vol ratio, because you are removing more volume than area. It is mainly to aid with venting to help reduce fade and wear.

Can't see how that works! I must be thick...

Grobb
125cc L Plates

Postby Grobb » Thu May 21, 2015 10:00 pm

It doesn't seem obvious I know but you are removing the volume and creating more surface area through the inner bore surface of the holes. It's more about moving air across the pad surface really though. I spent some time years ago doing some consultancy work tuning truck brakes.

Stewie
1150 adventurer

Postby Stewie » Thu May 21, 2015 10:35 pm

Griffindor wrote:

Wouldn't increase surface area if you are drilling holes in it! Would decrease!

Think of a sliced loaf, before you slice it, it has the surface area of the 6 sides, then slice it into 30 pices, and hey presto you've increased the surface area, the same principal applies .
Off the beaten track!.

Return to “Suppliers & Service”