suggestion for new area

Need help using the forum? Speak here. Forum updates announced here too.
SLR
120cc Thumpstar Pro

suggestion for new area

Postby SLR » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:27 pm

Can there be a section for new members or those new to trail riding to ask specific questions or advice on what you need to get started? I kknow you say get a helmet goggles and some armour but there are hundreds to choose from some more suitable than others. Where do you draw the line between what is good for the road and what id good the the lanes?

steve sharp
LIFE member

Re: suggestion for new area

Postby steve sharp » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:29 pm

That's a great idea. Dave can you please create it..

I will warn you that you will probably get a zillion contradictory posts, our trail people are a contrary lot :)

Dave
250cc

Postby Dave » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:14 pm

OK, so in a little more detail, can you describe what new sections you are after?
Like a Recommended Kit section?

SLR
120cc Thumpstar Pro

Postby SLR » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:40 pm

As a total newbie knowing nothing about trail riding or what kit was required, I (and maybe others) would need somewhere to start. I know what equipment you buy is down to personal choice and budget and there is a section for each in the forums, but what would be nice is a section for absolute beginners to ask questions and receive sensible answers with the reasons why. I know that the question could be answered in the various sections but it might (?) be a good idea to basic question in one place and maybe even add a few FAQ’s for new people like myself and they would all be in one place.

So my questions would be: Ok, so I have got a bike what clothing do I need. What type of helmet do I require and why? What goggles are best single lens double lens, what type of boots do I need and why? What maps do I need, what tools do I need to take? How do I carry them? What happens on your first ride with the TRF? Anyone got any review if first rides?

If you feel that this is covered in other sections then that is fair enough.

Rob

Dave
250cc

Postby Dave » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:06 pm

I understand what you are saying; it would be nice if a beginner could ask a very specific question. Also, based on your questions members could quote or link to posts in other sections if they feel like it.

I just hope that topics are started with sensible titles to make it easier for other beginners to find.

I'll make it soon if another admit doesn't. Have been so swamped with work lately, the last thing I want to do is look at a PC!

steve sharp
LIFE member

Postby steve sharp » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:24 am

Rob,

We have a new members information sheet which contains general advice. I have attached a copy for you. This is kept in the Welcome to new members section.

Perhaps some of this can be reused for the new section, and then more specifics added.

Please let us have your thoughts.

Cheers
Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Beerbelly
750 flat tracker

Postby Beerbelly » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:21 am

SLR wrote:As a total newbie knowing nothing about trail riding or what kit was required, I (and maybe others) would need somewhere to start. I know what equipment you buy is down to personal choice and budget and there is a section for each in the forums, but what would be nice is a section for absolute beginners to ask questions and receive sensible answers with the reasons why. I know that the question could be answered in the various sections but it might (?) be a good idea to basic question in one place and maybe even add a few FAQ’s for new people like myself and they would all be in one place.

So my questions would be: Ok, so I have got a bike what clothing do I need. What type of helmet do I require and why? What goggles are best single lens double lens, what type of boots do I need and why? What maps do I need, what tools do I need to take? How do I carry them? What happens on your first ride with the TRF? Anyone got any review if first rides?

If you feel that this is covered in other sections then that is fair enough.

Rob

Kit Recommendations

Boots:

Top of the range: Gaerne Boots are probably one of the best you can get. Allows maximum movement and are hinged.

Mid Range: Alpine Stars Tech Range of boots are pretty good in comfort and protection without a massive price tag.

Low Range: Wulfsport – you get what you pay for.

Socks:

Top of the range: SealSkins to keep out water and your feet dry.

Mid Range: Army surplus waterproof socks.

Trousers and Jacket

For Winter Riding:
Top of the range: Klim – what ever you can afford from their range as long as its goretex. The powerxross range of tops is very popular in the TRF.

Mid Range: Spada, RST and IXS seem to be very good and reasonable. Make sure it is goretex.

Army Surplus over trousers – German flectarn or US Army trousers have a zip down the leg whcich is handy for boots. Keeps the rain out of your trousers in downpours.

For Summer:
Any mx/endure kit will do.

Gloves:
Any MX gloves will do – you get what you pay for.

Body Armour:

Again this is very personal:

• Make sure you have full length back protection.
• Make sure you can move comfortably
• Make sure you have elbow and shoulder protection

Top of the range: Leatt offer a soft jacket that goes hard on impact. Good movement.
Mid Range: thor mx or sixsixone – hard protection – a little more restrictive.

Knee Guards:

Again personal choice – many different types out there. Some braced other not braced.
Thor unbraced
Sixsixone soft pads
And then you can look for braced ones at silly money – how much do you love your knee caps?

Helmets

Again personal choice and budget

If you wear glasses maybe a dual sport type helmet with a visor and peak.
If not any mx helmet in your budget.

Goggles
Again personal choice and budget. I use wulfsport goggles and they are quite good and to a budget but you can spend a lot on goggles. Only thing to recommend here is to get some quick straps. make sure you get a colored lens for the summer to stop glare - acts like sunglasses!

Backpack:
Camelbaks are popular with the hydration bladder

Tools
Carry a range of tools to carry out repairs on the roadside. Sockets, Screwdrivers, Spanners, puncture repair kit, levers for tyres and handlebars, spare innertubes, pump.

Tool Bags – tool bag on the front mudguard or the rear. Acerbis do some nice bags that are good quality. If not look around on ebay you can get cheaper stuff but you get what you pay for. You can also get tool tubes that fit on like an exhaust – not seen one used though.

Dave
250cc

Postby Dave » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:26 pm

Upon review it seems odd to start a new section for questions when any newbie can start a new thread in the relevant section, if they needed advice on kit for example, in the Kit Recommendation section with a title such as:
Helmets - Which is comfiest?
or
Are SixSixOne Knee guards any good?
or
What's the difference between hard and soft elbow guards?

Users of the forum can then feedback based on what they have, their friends have or what they have read about the products.

I have made the new section under help, but I feel it might detract from information being in the appropriate section, so:

(Admins), there is a feature that allows a topic to be shadowed in another section, it's kind of like a duplicate feature. So could potentially use this to keep information nicely organised when relevant.

Return to “Forum Updates / Tutorials / Suggestions / Help”