Theft prevention

Need help using the forum? Speak here. Forum updates announced here too.
Weet-rider
250cc Trail Rider

Theft prevention

Postby Weet-rider » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:32 pm

Yet another member (Chris A) lost his bike to criminal elements yesterday. It seems that each week there is another victim of bike theft among us and this sickens me. There will always be a financial loss to some degree regardless of insurance, personal property and space will be violated and some victims may be so disillusioned/unable to replace their bikes and sadly call it a day from trail riding.

Each time someone posts about their bike being stolen there is a sympathetic response including worthwhile, good advice but unfortunately all this gets buried relatively quickly due to newer posts.

As this is a serious issue, could there be a dedicated page created (rather than a topic) similar to the "new riders trail riding advice" page but in the member's area so that advice, experiences, resources, etc. could be possibly compiled into a tick-list of do's and don't s which could then be kept current and remain at the forefront at all times? This type of format may be more accessible than an ongoing thread where it might not be easy to find relevant and important information.
As it's my suggestion I am happy to do the compilation work and upkeep of course but wanted to canvas members first to get any opinions on whether there is value in doing something along these lines.

No matter how street-wise or security conscious we think we are, we are all vulnerable and each of us must have at least one valuable piece of advice that could be shared which when all put together could make the difference to someone who is unaware they are at risk.

Cheers, Dave W........stay safe :-)

mudeevee
750 flat tracker

Re: Theft prevention

Postby mudeevee » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:44 pm

Agreed and a good idea. Can we put something in the private members? Prefer not to make public any anti-theft advice as it may just be what perspective thieves/twats are looking at to make their job easier

Dave
250cc

Postby Dave » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:35 pm

Amazing. It's like there was some kind of psychic thing going on https://surreytrf.gigatech.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=1096

silvergull
400cc Thumper

Postby silvergull » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:30 pm

also; when a bike is reported stolen, the police might spread the word locally, that a bike has been nicked, via councils , community police officers etc etc, but due to data protection rules, they are unable to give out any specific details, i.e. type of bike, reg number, any details at all, so not a lot of point to their notifications- its loopy. so can I suggest that if you know of a bike, hopefully not your own, that has been nicked maybe its a good idea to post all info in this forum, and others, incl reg number, colour, type of bike ,unique features etc, just in case its spotted out there somehow? or is this also not sensible? ideas please.....
Beano: Appears on a Wednesday

kris
LIFE member

Postby kris » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:02 am

well once upon a time londonbikers tried to do this

http://londonbikers.com/news/17178/lb-l ... e-database

dont think its is still working (dont know if it was legal issues that brought it down)

Return to “Forum Updates / Tutorials / Suggestions / Help”