Learning routes & run leading

Post your planned rides here. Or request a leader for a ride.
steve sharp
LIFE member

Learning routes & run leading

Postby steve sharp » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:43 pm

Hi,

Further to Dereks post and feedback to my last ride.

If anyone wants to learn a route(s) with the aim of leading some runs, I will happily take you out, any areas. We can then schedule a follow up day to do some run leader training.

Contact me if you are interested in learning a route(s) and/or run leading training. You may know some routes but just want some training.

The training consists of route planning, what to do before the ride, and the actual ride. It gives you the chance of trying it out in a safe environment.

Let us know what else we can do to encourage run leaders.

There are lots of members that are experienced and would make good run leaders, come and give it a go.

Thanks to all those that lead rides.

Update ###### Learning The Routes #######

###### Sunday 29th October - Devils Punch Bowl Car Park, Hindhead - Start 10-00 - We will be riding south to the South Downs and then looping back to Hindhead. Includes the Byways around the punchbowl. #######

###### Sunday 19th November - Alton Station Car Park, Alton - Start 10-00 - We will be riding south to South Downs and looping back. I will be doing different routes at later dates. #####

Let me know which dates you can make.

Steve Sharp
Last edited by steve sharp on Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hoops
350cc Veteran

Re: Learning routes & run leading

Postby Hoops » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:00 pm

Thanks for offering Steve. Pm'd.

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

Raleigh Chopper
400cc Thumper

Postby Raleigh Chopper » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:35 pm

steve sharp wrote:Hi,

Further to Dereks post and feedback to my last ride.

If anyone wants to learn a route(s) with the aim of leading some runs, I will happily take you out, any areas. We can then schedule a follow up day to do some run leader training.

Contact me if you are interested in learning a route(s) and/or run leading training. You may know some routes but just want some training.

The training consists of route planning, what to do before the ride, and the actual ride. It gives you the chance of trying it out in a safe environment.

Let us know what else we can do to encourage run leaders.

There are lots of members that are experienced and would make good run leaders, come and give it a go.

Thanks to all those that lead rides.

Steve Sharp

Hi Steve

I occasionally lead locally and to Hindhead but would like to get to know Hampshire where I do not have a clue. So a run such as you did the other week,but with stops to check the map frequently would be very useful to me. Btw I don't use sat nav / garmin just try to remember the route when I lead.
Thanks
Derek

Toppsoff
350cc Veteran

Postby Toppsoff » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:23 pm

I’d be keen to get approved Steve - even if just for local ride outs. I’ll PM you...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
James Toppsoff

Syd
250cc Trail Rider

Postby Syd » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:44 pm

I'd be pleased to tag along. I'd be better as a gunner than a leader though

coolhand
350cc Veteran

Postby coolhand » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:01 pm

I’m keen to learn some Hampshire routes so I can lead in that area as I only know the Surrey loop.

Thanks
Luke A

steve sharp
LIFE member

Postby steve sharp » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:24 pm

Hi,

Thanks for your responses.

Dominic and Andy want to learn route from Hindhead going south.
Richard, Derek, Luke A want to learn Hampshire route. There are lots of good routes in Hampshire but probably best to start with Alton to South Downs.
Mark H wants to go further afield, so you can do either route or both.

These are the maps that you will need to buy for both routes. I recommend Landranger maps, so your not changing maps all the time..
Aldershot & Guildford 186, Chichester & South Downs 197, Winchester & Basingstoke 185

You will need a good size map holder, a walking one is a good size and you can get waterproof ones. You will need to attach it to your handlebars, reusable cable ties are good method to fix it. Note: Do not get a cycle one as they are too small.

You will need to highlight the Byways beforehand to make it easier to follow. Bring a highlighter along as well so we can mark up UCRs which are harder to find on the map. We can discuss in advance.

I have some stuff coming up but these are the dates when I am free: Sunday 29th October, Saturday 4th November, Sunday 5th November, Saturday 18th November, Sunday 19th November, Saturday 25th November, Sunday 26th November.

If you could all send me all the dates that you can make I will set the rides to suite everyone. PM/EM or post.

If you use GPS or phones then record the route as well.

Regards
Steve
Last edited by steve sharp on Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hoops
350cc Veteran

Postby Hoops » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:58 pm

Steve, any of those dates works for me. Saturdays are better for me but happy to do a Sunday if that's the consensus.

Thanks again
Mark.

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

Dominic
400cc Thumper

Postby Dominic » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:15 pm

I am fine with all those dates too.

steve sharp
LIFE member

Postby steve sharp » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:30 pm

Thanks.

Just been told about my mistake, Its Sunday 29th October instead of 26th. I have updated the original post.

GDAS
LIFE member

Postby GDAS » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:01 am

steve sharp wrote:These are the maps that you will need to buy for both routes. I recommend Landranger maps, so your not changing maps all the time..
Aldershot & Guildford 186, Chichester & South Downs 197, Winchester & Basingstoke 185

a good place to buy Steve's recommended maps online is https://dash4it.co.uk/ordnance-survey-m ... anger.html currently £5.84 incl postage

They also come in an 'Active' version, which costs more money and has a waterproof coating, but I wouldn't go for these as I think the coating makes them more difficult to fold in order to fit into a map case

Graham

smokinrider
250cc Trail Rider

Postby smokinrider » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:06 am

Anyone who wants to learn Hants or wilts let me know. Always out and happy to share knowledge. Mainly west Hants and wilts but can do meon valley.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Rides & Meets”