Join the TRF today! - Enjoy the benefits

Post your planned rides here. Or request a leader for a ride.
kris
LIFE member

Re: Join the TRF today! - Enjoy the benefits

Postby kris » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:17 pm

without the trf fighting to keep the routes open .. ..

you might find yourself paying £40 to ride at some enduro event or practice mx

without the trf membership the lanes/green roads will get eroded and before long you will only have your road bike to ride !

ShaunGASGAS300
350cc Veteran

Postby ShaunGASGAS300 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:51 pm

Understand what you have said. A lot of us that are brand new don't know what the TRF do behind the scenes and what the members do and that's what you have to remember and explain.
For example I didn't know that you helped organise the nomads, I didn't know TRF members go t involved with that.

Maybe people should explain what else you have helped with and what else wouldn't of happened without you. I think that will help us understand what the money goes towards. I for one would be interested to hear what you get involved with behind the scenes mainly so once I'm a bit more established in the group I know what I could maybe help with in the future.

Also if people knew what you did behind the scenes ie nomads people might donate more?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coolhand
350cc Veteran

Postby coolhand » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:34 pm

I am biting my lip too.

The membership fee is worth it even if you just ride once let alone runs all year round all over the country and the good people you meet, plus hard to put a price on fun but I guarantee its more than £40.....

I often advertise last min runs and take out new people as often as my work/private life allow.

Luke A

stevent
750 flat tracker

Postby stevent » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:17 pm

Shaun
You've made some good points and you are perfectly entitled to ask where the membership fee goes to. I feel quite confident in saying that without the TRF, trail riding would most likely no longer exist in the UK. There are some quite small but very well organised and connected individuals who are tireless in seek to ban trail riding. Just go read GL£AM's website - http://www.gleam-uk.org/. The TRF works to counter these forces at both local and national levels to ensure trail riding can "continues to be a part of the rich and historic tradition of countryside pursuits in England and Wales" (http://www.trf.org.uk/wp-about/)

At the national level this involves the TRF developing links with the Government and MPs - note the recent MP campaign which led a couple months ago to positive comments being made about the contribution trail riding make to the economy in a Parliamentary select committee (there was a video but I don't have this to hand). Raising our profile within central Government and Parliament is important as every now and again, the dark forces get some Lords to make amendments to Government bills which could wipe out trail riding - as happened in 2005 with the NERC Act, which led to the extinguishing of vehicular rights on Roads used as Public Paths which had not already been reclassified as Byways Open to All Traffic, and might have happened late 2014 / early 2015 as the Deregulation Bill went through. Derek Muddeevee put in huge amounts of time keeping track on that and reporting back to us at club night.

It also involves fighting cases - and last year the TRF stood up to Dorset Council who spend goodness knows how much of taxpayers money, bringing a case to the Supreme Court (the highest court in the land), seeking to overturn a decision by the Court of Appeal which went in the TRFs favour. The case involved Dorset Council trying to get out of a legal duty to investigate a claim that a right of way had vehicular rights because the claimant's map was the wrong scale. I was lucky enough to be able to go and watch the case in person and hear the Lord Justice challenge Dorest Council's Counsel that their case was like something out of Alice in Wonderland. The TRF won the case, you can read the summary here... https://www.supremecourt.uk/cases/uksc-2013-0153.html. And whilst it costs a lot to lose a case, it also costs to win cases like this.

Locally, there are small number individuals who are constantly keeping aware of any proposals or measures to close or restrict motorcycle access to routes we use. Again there are individuals who wage campaigns to get routes shut. I've personally gone to Council meetings to resist proposals to get local green roads closed - lane you may have used - such as Silkmore Lane and Fullers Farm Lane in West Horsley, Guildford. If TRF did not turn up at Guildford Local Committee and put its case - those routes would have been shut. And in the last few months, Hampshire County Council have been pursuing Traffic Regulation Orders which involve putting gates across routes which we have also resisted, this has involved a High Court Challenge costing many thousands, but which was successful in halting what they were forced to admit was an unlawful process to restrict access. Just this week our member Brian has been onto Surrey County Council about the temporary closure of one of our most value routes - Wolvens Lane, Coldharbour.

And not only that but I think our Group has a real buzz about it with lots of different people doing different things - things like trail riding (yes its not just lobbying). There are trips abroad, members offering cheap guided trips to ride in Devon, people getting together to do Long Distance Trials, there is the organising summer events and Christmas curries and training events with Lee Walters and all sorts of other stuff.

All of this is achieve by volunteers - nobody draws a salary - TRF is not a corporate organisation. I'm personally quite proud and astounded to see what people giving up their own time for free can collectively achieve. I was amazed at the Nomads event this weekend gone, which TRF had a big presence at, at the voluntary effort by all the organisers and the stewards, many of whom aren't riding but are just helping those who have entered the event, one of whom helped haul me out of a ditch. I was thrilled to see our our members like Murray and many others spend the whole of a Sunday at the ExCel Centre, talking to potential members and getting them signed up to the cause. I also think that the marketing has got a lot more slick - have you looked at the various stories on the TRF homepage? http://www.trf.org.uk/

And so, for me £45 (or £40.50 if you pay by Direct Debit) which is less than £1 a week, is a small price to pay to be a member of what I think is a fantastic organisation. You are right there have not been many local runs recently, I haven't led as many as I usually do and one of our other group officers has been recovering from illness. We have done run leader training before and we can do it again; and we need to keep encouraging more people to lead runs. We do usually have more, and I'm fairly confident its just a lull and you'll see runs coming up more frequently.

So there you go, a long posting but important stuff. If I haven't persuaded you... fair enough, that is up to you, you are free to make your choice!! But if I have, I hope you sign up as a fully paid member and I look forward to meeting you at club night.

Steven T (club Chairman)

smccormick
350cc Veteran

Postby smccormick » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:34 am

Excellent posting and something we should pin as a reference point for new members and a refresher for folks when talking with possible new members. Quite handy to take it to the RideIt right event in Guildford in May.

Happy to take part in run leader training and would likely post a slow ride with coffee and cake stops likely to get lost. :)

Nicely done!

Steven Mc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShaunGASGAS300
350cc Veteran

Postby ShaunGASGAS300 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:34 am

Hi Steven,

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to explain all that. It's appreciated!

I will be signing up, I always had the intention to but it's good to know what it all goes towards. I think this would be great to show to newbies like me, gives a great explanation of what you as a group and what the TRF does!
If you're new to byways like me then I didn't know how many the gov try to shut down. Therefore I didn't know the importance of the TRF. BUT after reading your very informative post, it's obvious how much we need the TRF!

I will get my membership sorted this weekend then once I've down a few rides I'll post asking for leader training so I can lead some to give back. As well as keeping a look out for anything else I can help with.

Thanks for your time and your post
Shaun.

stevent
750 flat tracker

Postby stevent » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:08 pm

Shaun. A pleasure. Thanks, and hope to see you Tuesday. Steven.

ShaunGASGAS300
350cc Veteran

Postby ShaunGASGAS300 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:32 pm

Whats Tuesday? Am i missing something?

kris
LIFE member

Postby kris » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:01 pm

will be our monthly club night in Ripley (there will be another post to discuss this)

I am away so won't see you but the rest of the world will be there to see you.

stevent
750 flat tracker

Postby stevent » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:17 pm

Thanks Chris. Club night details - http://www.surreytrf.org.uk/club-night/
Steve Sharp usually posts up the agenda on the Forum.
No wonder you don't know what you get for your money if you didn't realise we have a club night!
Hope you can make it?

Return to “Rides & Meets”