Cradle Lane issue on Sunday mornings

News of Byways or UCRs under threat by selfish or boring people
stevent
1150 adventurer

Cradle Lane issue on Sunday mornings

Postby stevent » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:47 pm

Just received this from HCC. If its you please slow down and keep the locals sweet :)

----- Forwarded Message -----
Sent: Thursday, 27 February 2014, 15:24
Subject: Cradle Lane, near Bordon, Hampshire

Dear Steven

You may remember your offer of assistance with Cradle Lane, just south of Alice Holt Forest and north of Bordon, Hampshire, which is now TRO’d to 3+wheel but still open to motorbikes. Since the TRO, we have not had many reports of problems, which is excellent.

However, today I had a call from a local resident who said that there are a group of motorbikes who come through every Sunday at 11:45-12:15 approx and are travelling much too fast. As this is very specific it sounds like it is the same group and I wondered if you could try and find out who they are (or even ask someone to come out and speak to them?). I have advised the lady reporting it that this is a police matter but obviously if you can influence that would be better.
Many thanks!

Cath Hart
Shipwrights Way Project Officer (Mon-Weds)
Countryside Service, Hampshire County Council

fallenmikethebike
250cc Trail Rider

Re: Cradle Lane issue on Sunday mornings

Postby fallenmikethebike » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:13 pm

Please don't let this be any of our riders, that was such a struggle getting trail bikes exempted from the TRO. I'm not sure if were even out of the probation period on this lane yet.
Mike

stevent
1150 adventurer

Postby stevent » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:53 pm

All,
Hampshire County Council have been in touch again. They have had discussions with local people who are worried about the numbers and speed of some motorbikes coming down Cradle Lane – they say groups of 35 travelling at 45mph have been speeding along the lane particularly on Sundays.

HCC have explained that these bikers are within their rights to do this and that the lane is national speed limit so they are not breaking any laws.

They have said in the email to me that the use of Cradle Lane by motorbikes has been received very well and it would be disappointing to have this goodwill disappear if we can try and stop it now.

They have asked if I would put something out to remind members to ride responsibly. Also, if anyone has any information on the individuals or organised groups that might be using this lane like this, if they could either speak to them themselves or pass on their details to the council.

I've responded to concur that it will be very unfortunate if irresponsible use leads to goodwill evaporating.

So here is my reminder: when using this lane or any BOAT ride responsibly and within the Code of Conduct!!

Quite a number of us put a lot of effort into keeping this lane including taking time off work to meet with local people and councillors, persuading them that responsible users shouldn't be penalised. It'd have been closed under seasonal TRO for 9 months a year if we hadn't had such a successful campaign. So it would indeed be unfortunate if irresponsible use gets locals' ire up.

I did also say I find it hard to believe that there are groups as big as that, that except for organised LDTs I have only ever seen six to eight, and that if there were 35 bike going that fast they'd have had many more reports from across the county! I suspect there is some exaggeration here; but may well still be an issue with people riding too fast.

Dave
250cc

Postby Dave » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:24 am

Lol 35 my ass. At least we have their good will gesture to legally ride the lane.

filthyflogger175
125cc L Plates

Postby filthyflogger175 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:22 pm

Jeez.... :o 35 bike's doing 45 mph,they must have been waiting for them outside their houses ready to count them all and clock their speed,sound's like that was sexed up a bit.

Kilbs
120cc Thumpstar Pro

Postby Kilbs » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:53 pm

Checked this lane out the weekend late on sunday as i wondered what 30+ bikes would have done to the ford lead in/out.

The phantom ghost riders must have given it a miss this week as I could only make out 4-6 sets of motorbike tracks at the ford lead in...two of them mine!. most were mountain bike ones tho

Wonder if the renovation and the for sale of a house at the end is connected to the new complaints?
Would be quite desirable if there wasn't a road past it! :roll:

burls
400cc Thumper

Postby burls » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:33 am

Kilbs wrote:Wonder if the renovation and the for sale of a house at the end is connected to the new complaints?
Would be quite desirable if there wasn't a road past it! :roll:

Busted!

Dave
250cc

Postby Dave » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:52 am

Is there a wall of shame for this sort of pish?

langley beta
250cc Trail Rider

Re: Cradle Lane issue

Postby langley beta » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:37 pm

All,

Today Tuesday I rode Cradle Lane and stopped to speak to the owner of the end cottage that's the one being renovated, he seems to have a balanced view with regard to bikes on the lane.

However he did confirm that their are large groups of trail riders using the lane at weekends and excessive speed is a problem but thought 35 was exaggerated he believes groups of 12 to 15 would be more realistic although he hadn't counted them himself, he's a relative newcomer to Cradle Lane and was not aware of the history but knows bikes on the lane are a hot topic with his neighbours.

Whilst having this conversation one of the builder joined in and remarked that he was also having problems with rouge bikers at the end of his lane in Medstead again large groups excessive speed and noise and also pulling wheelies on the road, he and his wife are both keen mountain bikers and regularly see a complete lack of respect for other byways users by some trail riders.

Ron

Dave
250cc

Postby Dave » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:01 pm

Not sure the size of the group even matters. I know we exercise a voluntary groups size of 6 but I think it's good that so many people are using the lane. 12-35 people that day were exercising their right and want to use the lane versus how many neighbours?

What's a shame is the report of excessive speed, noise and wheelies. But in their defence, again for a balanced view, experience to me says it was probably only 1 or 2 silly riders of the group that would be revving and wheeling like this.

Sadly, the TRF can't reach everyone.

big yellow tractor
400cc Thumper

Postby big yellow tractor » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:34 am

The "excessive speed" thing is very awkward to disprove because Joe Public always thinks bikes are going fast. I was out on Saturday and while "making progress" down a lane with good visibility, spotted a couple of people a good 200yds ahead so slowed down to a really gentle toddle. I "putted" past and said a cheery good morning. My mate who was about 50ft behind me had his progress blocked and was shouted at for "Going Too Fast".

Despite this, we ALL need to make a point of going as slowly and quietly as possible past houses and buildings at the end of lanes. We know where it is safe and acceptable to open up a bit.

Scutty
250cc Trail Rider

Postby Scutty » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:53 pm

Maybe it's this group:

This is a Facebook group (Surrey And Hampshire Green Laning) - check out 4:40 (bridleway), lots of illegal road riding and off the track riding on Frensham common.

Its going to be people like this that will get lanes closed.

Return to “Political Rights Of Way News”