Cradle Lane issue on Sunday mornings

News of Byways or UCRs under threat by selfish or boring people
Billy
woz bus pass

Re: Cradle Lane issue on Sunday mornings

Postby Billy » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:38 pm

I don`t want my views on this misinterpreted, illegal riding is totally wrong. All I was pointing out was the less legal places there are to ride the more prevalent illegal riding will be.

stevent
1150 adventurer

Postby stevent » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:46 pm

Billy: I'd be inclined to agree with you, if other people didn't get upset by groups like this. But that isn't the case and people do get upset. 22 bike coming at you can pretty scary for some people and very annoying for others. And then some, with plenty of time on their hands, as you say, start up a campaign and then next thing is we end up having to battle the Council to keep a route open. We haven't lost any lanes locally in the last few years, and that's because we have been successful in arguing that closing lanes unfairly penalises responsible riders. Way I see it is these big illegal groups make it more likely we all get banned, me included, so we have to do what we can to stop them. And that is what the TRF is about, protecting lanes, protecting our right to use them.

Anyway, just spoke to Ron, he met with PC Mark Trezise earlier today (the Surrey Police 'off road squad'), by that point the video had been taken down, if it was still there they said they'd have pursued prosecutions. Obviously from their group someone read this, or someone tipped them off, so they're lucky this time!! (Or did anyone catch the video?)

When it comes to trying to stop big illegal groups... as well as sticks I think we need some carrots too. What I was thinking is, is there any way to try to talk to some of these guys, ask them whether they will calm it down and ride more responsibly, explain why (i.e. the above), put them on the straight and narrow. Might be that no-one has ever reached out them, there may be some good eggs amongst that group (and the video guy did say a 'thank you' to someone stood aside), might even be some new members we can bring over to our fold. Thoughts on that and any volunteers to try?

S.

steve sharp
LIFE member

Postby steve sharp » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:12 pm

Hi,

I think its best to reach out and have a quiet word, they may not realise... Can someone email or PM the facebook page location and I will make friendly contact.

Steve

Scutty
250cc Trail Rider

Postby Scutty » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:25 pm

This video is still up:

phpBB [video]

stevent
1150 adventurer

Postby stevent » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:15 pm

Very big group which upsets people but nothing illegal in that one, as far as I can see.

kevpg
400cc Thumper

Postby kevpg » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:46 pm

Same group, same day, different camera man.

langley beta
250cc Trail Rider

Postby langley beta » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:58 pm

What about the poor horse rider on the right at 0:57 :!:

Billy
woz bus pass

Postby Billy » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:07 pm

I think we all agree this group is bad news for us but what can we realistically do.

Howsono
250cc Trail Rider

Postby Howsono » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:04 pm

I think reaching out to them is a good plan, if that doesn't work maybe the Police would be interested in an infiltration volunteer? Catch them breaking enough laws and crush their bikes - would teach me a lesson!

kevpg
400cc Thumper

Postby kevpg » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:42 pm

Billy wrote:I think we all agree this group is bad news for us but what can we realistically do.

Unfortunately not much other than distance ourselves from them.

big yellow tractor
400cc Thumper

Postby big yellow tractor » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:37 pm

Billy wrote:I think we all agree this group is bad news for us but what can we realistically do.

Not much at all probably.

Howsono
250cc Trail Rider

Postby Howsono » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:58 pm

Take out their tyres first. Bet they don't carry spare tubes. And if they do, bet they don't carry two. Each.

Return to “Political Rights Of Way News”