Cradle Lane issue on Sunday mornings

News of Byways or UCRs under threat by selfish or boring people
stevent
750 flat tracker

Re: Cradle Lane issue on Sunday mornings

Postby stevent » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:25 pm

I've just had a 40 minute conversation with the guy who shot that video. He sounded a very decent guy to me. He is contrite, and admits that what happened shouldn't have happened and that it was a mistake. He explained that his group got mixed up with another group while out on that day, and that is why the group appeared to be so big; and then this other group said they'd show them some lanes and it ended up with them going down the bridleway, he stopped and said where the hell is this guy going, he knew it was not the right thing to do but admits he followed on. He said it was 3 minutes of video which he admits did not look good but does not represent him or his group. He wants to clear the name of his group, as the video did not represent who they really are. He is quite upset that its caused so much upset.

I said the damage it can do to our reputation as trail riders, and people get genuinely upset and scared, and he agreed and acknowledged this. He said he very much supports the TRF and the work the TRF do to keep lanes open. We talked about keeping a low profile when out on the lanes so that we don't get noticed. And keep the groups small, staggered starts etc. \He seemed a bit put off by previous experience of the TRF, I invited him along to our club night on Tuesday, and said we've got a great group, not a bunch of old gits and we have lots of good stuff going on like Steve's training and events and trips away and stuff. He said he will be telling the guys he takes out about the work TRF do to protect the lanes. He really appreciated the fact I made contact to discuss.

Tony111s
250cc Trail Rider

Postby Tony111s » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:34 pm

Will done Steven. That sounds like a really worthwhile and positive call.
Tony

steve sharp
LIFE member

Postby steve sharp » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:46 pm

Thats great Steven, well done.

Can you add this to club night agenda and tell everyone, its a good positive message.

Regards
Steve S

farnham flyer
350cc Veteran

Postby farnham flyer » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:52 pm

Nice work.

A bit of a relief then.

Paul.

P.S. Had he been tipped off that his video had been posted here? Was that why he deleted it?

Raleigh Chopper
400cc Thumper

Postby Raleigh Chopper » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:13 pm

Well done Steven. Hopefully in a few weeks we will have some new members. Reaching out was an intelligent response. I'm sure a lot of the riders in the face book group will have no idea about all the problems that exist in keeping the lanes open. Once they do and get to know all the work the TRF does, they will have a much better understanding.

kevpg
400cc Thumper

Postby kevpg » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:49 am

Steve,

A good result all round and great work from you, as ever.

Kev

kris
LIFE member

Postby kris » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:04 am

love it steven ... new award = 'peacemaker of the year"

Simon Watson
400cc Thumper

Postby Simon Watson » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:57 pm

I have friends who live on Cradle Lane they have never complained of large groups. I've asked them to keep us updated if there are issues but they seemed to be happy with recent usage.

langley beta
250cc Trail Rider

Postby langley beta » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:36 pm

This is just a reminder of the condition of Cradle lane before the resurfacing work was completed. The last 2 images taken in 2008 show the damage caused by 4x4s at the ford. The pictures show the culvert has been broken and demonstrate the depth of the damage. The other 3 pictures taken in 2012 show the depth of the water at the crossing in the winter and looking carefully at the foreground of the second picture you can see the concrete railway sleepers which were put down in an attempt to prevent further damage.
Attachments
Cradle _lane_17.10.12_8_red.jpg
Cradle _lane_17.10.12_7_red.jpg
Cradle _lane_17.10.12_6_red.jpg
Cradle_Lane_2.JPG
Cradle_Lane_1.JPG

Return to “Political Rights Of Way News”