Can horse riding back protectors be used for off roading?

Using something that's clearly worth talking about? Share it.
PippaB
350cc Veteran

Can horse riding back protectors be used for off roading?

Postby PippaB » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:33 pm

Being an ex horsie rider person, I use to use body protectors for front and back impactions as one would never know where you going to land. After falling off this Sunday gone, the last fall of the day, I hit my ribs, had a back protector inside jacket! Just wondering if horsie gear could work or is there anything on market that protects the rib cage too?

Dominic
500cc MXER

Re: Can horse riding back protectors be used for off roading

Postby Dominic » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:17 pm

Armour which is part of a jacket does not give as good coverage as separate body armour does. Typically motorcycle jackets have very little protection in front and to the sides.

Does horsey-armour give as much coverage as this for example?:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobi ... prod109148

I'm sure your horsey-armour would work as long as you can still move around the bike freely and it's not too bulky. I don't know what horsey-armour looks like so if you have a link to an example it would be easier to answer better.

smokinrider
250cc Trail Rider

Postby smokinrider » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:43 pm

Some use the the chest plate and back throw over sort. I prefer the zip up net style which has back and ribs and elbow and shoulder protection.
Lots of products on the market and any are better than nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TonyR
400cc Thumper

Postby TonyR » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:33 pm

Hi Pippa

Anything that you may already have is better than nothing so use it! providing you are comfortable and able to control the bike adequately it'll be ok.
Take the opportunity to chat with everyone on the next run your on to find out what they have, where they got it, and how much. Armour or some other upper body protection is a "must have"!!
Have a look at this link https://forum.surreytrf.org.uk/viewtopi ... 0797fbcec4
I dont know if you have seen this info sheet or not but there's lots of good advice on there for you to read.

Tony

Billy
woz bus pass

Postby Billy » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:25 pm

Would you use your`Horsey` hat instead of a crash helmet on your bike ? Would you ride your bike in Hunters instead of motorcross boots ? The best protection is usualy the one made for a specific sport.(My stepdaughter rides horses and I wouldn`t ride a bike with her body armour)

Billy
woz bus pass

Postby Billy » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:18 am

Forgot to say, you can get ladies bike specific armour thats got "bumps" n stuff .

PippaB
350cc Veteran

Postby PippaB » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:46 am

This is great thank you, did speak to a few people at club night regards to armour and now looking for ladies soft body armour as need to be comfy as poss. Would you know where best to try this gear on within Surrey or is internet purchasing better? Note to horse gear, it has shrunk :D

Return to “Kit Recommendations”