HELP - DRZ WILL NOT RUN

If you need help with mechanics ask here. If you have tips to share post here.
JIMO
50cc Honda PC

HELP - DRZ WILL NOT RUN

Postby JIMO » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:21 pm

Help needed for the mechanically challenged!
My 2005 DRZ400 S has sat in the garage for the past year, started occasionally but that's about it.
For the last couple of months I've been trying to get it started without much luck. It turns over and wants to start, but just seems to be starving for fuel. I bought some easy start and sprayed some in behind the air filter and she fired up and ran for a while, probably just until the easy start had burned off so suspect there is a petrol flow problem somewhere. Have read about carbs getting blocked up if left idol and full of petrol for very short periods of time so believe I may need to take the carb off, but want to avoid this if at all possible, so trying to eliminate any other possibilities first. I drained the petrol off and replaced with fresh petrol this weekend, but still no joy. I then changed the spark plug, but still no improvement. I loosened the drain plug on the carb and some petrol came off, but not much. I then rocked the bike about a bit (very technical) and again tried to start, but still no luck. Tried again to drain off the carburettor, but nothing came out, which tends to suggest it's gummed up...? I bought some Wynn's carb and air intake cleaner today but not even sure where to spray it into the carb, if at all...
As you can tell from my ramblings, it's all looking a bit bleak....can't get the bike to a shop...because I can't ride it..and unsure of the next steps. If most believe it's the carb, I'll take it off next weekend (probably take all weekend!) - can anyone suggest a good shop where I can get it cleaned up refurbished? Sorry for rambling/thanks for any help. Jim.

silvergull
400cc Thumper

Re: HELP - DRZ WILL NOT RUN

Postby silvergull » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:53 pm

check for spark, assume you have done so. if youn think its fuel, check fuel taps, filter, etc, then remove carb, dismantle carefully, keep all jets etc in order, blast through with air and a solvent, do not poke wire etc into these, make sure its 100 % clean, sounds to me like the float needle has jammed, ie gummed up after a long period of inactivity. clean the neede, check the seat etc, also check floats to make sure they srill float, ie not cracked, or leaking rebuild and it might work. it is not a difficult job, if not try Luke, who does good work on bikes. his address is elsewhere on this forum. cheers bc
Beano: Appears on a Wednesday

Stewie
1150 adventurer

Postby Stewie » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:54 pm

It's the float valve ( IMHO ) as you've had it standing for a while, open the carb drain valve and then fuel tap you should have a steady flow of fuel, and it's my bet you don't, loosen the carb boots and spin around slightly to access the float bowl remove and clean ( Be as well to clean the jets while your there ) HTH :D
Off the beaten track!.

JIMO
50cc Honda PC

Postby JIMO » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:39 pm

Thanks BC and Stewie; much appreciated. One last question..went out to the garage this morning and bike is leaking/dripping petrol from the overflow. Haven't touched the bike since Sunday and no leaks yesterday - does this further support the carb being clogged up and unable to closebfully in order to stop the petrol from flowing through. Thanks again - will get to work on Saturday when I have plenty of time...will need it!! Thanks again, Jim.

silvergull
400cc Thumper

Postby silvergull » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:12 am

ok. this means the float needle has not jammed in closed position, but may be jammed open. and floats are not doing the job.ie they are not flaoting and closing off the valve, but it can also mean the float valve itself is worn, or the seat is worn, or both. a carb service will reveal. best in my view to replace both items. also means your fuel tap leaks. now its 2 small jobs, ie remove tap, replace seals, or repalce tap, amd still remove and service the carb. ( the fact the drips have stopped means you may have run out of fuel too! ) if you do not have a serivce manual, you may find diagrams etc online.but its obvious when you open up the card. use compressed air only to blow through. not sharp objectseg wire etc.
Beano: Appears on a Wednesday

Billy
woz bus pass

Postby Billy » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:42 pm

silvergull wrote:ok.. flaoting and closing off the valve, or repalce tap, amd still remove if you do not have a serivce manual, not sharp objectseg wire etc.

Been at the Sherry Brian ...........................or are you the infamous Dark Rider............................................

JIMO
50cc Honda PC

Postby JIMO » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:03 pm

BC and Stewie - thanks for your advice. Took the carb off and dismantled...! Cleaned it up - lots of dried out kak inside, and as suggested, float needle jammed. Re-assembled and put back on bike - difficult getting it off...even more of a mission manoeuvring it back in again! Fuel tap was leaking, so sourced a new seal from Belgium....Suzuki only sell new taps. And finally got the bike MOT'd last week. Thanks again for your advice/encouragement - see you on the trails soon - coffee's on me!

Stewie
1150 adventurer

Postby Stewie » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:11 am

Good stuff, glad you got her ticking over again, there are differing opinions on this, but if I'm leaving a bike for a while, I'll turn the petrol tap off and then run it dry.
Off the beaten track!.

Return to “Motorbike Technical & Tips”