Forum Closure Annoucement

Need help using the forum? Speak here. Forum updates announced here too.
James
125cc L Plates

Forum Closure Annoucement

Postby James » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:27 pm

The forum has served the group very well but over time Facebook has become the group’s hub, leaving just a small number of people using only the forum. The forum is labour intensive to maintain, confusing for new members and it separates the group.

The topic of the forum has been discussed by the Group Officers a lot over previous months and has resulted in the decision that we should retire it.

In early January 2022 we will set the forum into read-only mode which will prevent users from creating new threads or posts. You will still be able to log into the forum and view everything including private messages.

At the end of 2022 the forum will be turned off entirely and replaced with a static copy of the public threads. There’s a load of useful content that’s been generated over the years and it’d be a shame to see it thrown away.

We hope that many of you will join the rest of the group over in the Facebook Group and have attached a guide addressing some common questions and concerns about moving from the forum to Facebook.

We’ll continue to stay in touch with any members not on Facebook via email for significant topics (for example the recent Wolvens Lane emails and AGM notification), the Facebook ride out notifications if you’ve signed up to them and of course by holding monthly Club Nights.

We’d really like to resurrect a regular email newsletter too. If you’d like to volunteer to help with that please let me know via a direct message here or email to [email protected]

Lastly I’d like to say a huge thank you to everyone that has contributed to the forum either as a member, moderator or administrator over the years.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kris
LIFE member

Re: Forum Closure Annoucement

Postby kris » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:33 am

Ah that is a shame :-(

Big thanks to special dave and all the people on here who made it a laugh over the years

Dont think darkrider is on faceache :-)

Billy
woz bus pass

Postby Billy » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:22 pm

This was a great and popular forum until the committee/admin became over zealous with their censorship !!!

Dave
250cc

Postby Dave » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:45 am

This forum was a special part of special Dave's special life.

Some good memories here. But the best memories are going to events, meetups and abroad with some of the legends of this group.

Never have I laughed so much in my life! I still miss the days. I still talk about you bunch of nutcases haha!

Billy
woz bus pass

Postby Billy » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:40 am

Dave wrote:This forum was a special part of special Dave's special life.

Some good memories here. But the best memories are going to events, meetups and abroad with some of the legends of this group.

Never have I laughed so much in my life! I still miss the days. I still talk about you bunch of nutcases haha!

As you say , many good times and memories, seems a lifetime ago .

Dave
250cc

Postby Dave » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:24 am

Billy wrote:
Dave wrote:This forum was a special part of special Dave's special life.

As you say , many good times and memories, seems a lifetime ago .

Do you still meet up with the gang from time to time; Strongbow, Shovels, Kurtis et al?

Billy
woz bus pass

Postby Billy » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:15 pm

Dave wrote:Do you still meet up with the gang from time to time; Strongbow, Shovels, Kurtis et al?

Strongbow and Shovels have disappeared but I still see Kirk once or twice a week .

silvergull
400cc Thumper

Postby silvergull » Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:31 pm

Well, in my view the wrong decision has been made. Was the menbership actually asked? Definitely will not re join now, whats the point? Glad I had the good years, and played my part until the 'destructive non-contributing element ' took hold. Sort of nullifies all the work done over the years, so much resource lost, past and future. Surrey TRF has its way, in more ways than one, sadly. Best of luck , Bye!
Beano: Appears on a Wednesday

Stewie
1150 adventurer

Postby Stewie » Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:23 pm

Yep, must admit every time I've posted a ride, just ended up deleting it as no response, hard using split platforms to organise stuff, don't know the answer but probably not FB, maybe workplace (I know it's owned by FB) but it's more controlled.
Off the beaten track!.

kris
LIFE member

Postby kris » Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:09 am

Billy wrote:
Dave wrote:Do you still meet up with the gang from time to time; Strongbow, Shovels, Kurtis et al?

Strongbow and Shovels have disappeared but I still see Kirk once or twice a week .

What about our welsh brother and his mum's knitted mittens !!

Fair play we had some laughs with them lot.

Big respect and hope you are doing well Billy

Dave
250cc

Postby Dave » Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:56 pm

Billy wrote:

Yeah, right... THat's a bit sad in ways. But I can't talk. I haven't been around in ages since I got stuck in with this work abroad. I have a Serrow 225 at the moment in Italy which is not the fastest but it gets there!

As I said, with no regrets, I look back on some of the funniest and craziest laughs with you lot in Wales, Romaina etc... Just awesome!

silvergull wrote:Well, in my view the wrong decision has been made. Was the menbership actually asked? Definitely will not re join now, whats the point? Glad I had the good years, and played my part until the 'destructive non-contributing element ' took hold. Sort of nullifies all the work done over the years, so much resource lost, past and future. Surrey TRF has its way, in more ways than one, sadly. Best of luck , Bye!

So, at least once this forum goes into a 'read-only' state I will ensure that it is forever kept online. But I'm not fully in the loop with what's happened. I think people were acting in the way that they thought was the best intent.

Stewie wrote:Yep, must admit every time I've posted a ride, just ended up deleting it as no response, hard using split platforms to organise stuff, don't know the answer but probably not FB, maybe workplace (I know it's owned by FB) but it's more controlled.

If Surrey TRF ever want to spin up another forum or something like this. There are much better software we could use. For sure it would take a bit of work. Cross that bridge if you come to it. Kris has my email :)

Dave
250cc

Postby Dave » Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:00 pm

@James, I've added you to the Super Admin Founder whatever so you have maximum control/privs on the forum and can do whatever.

Return to “Forum Updates / Tutorials / Suggestions / Help”