Surrey Lanes, August 23rd, Ride Report

Give your thanks, tell a story, reflect on the good times.
Corky78
350cc Veteran

Surrey Lanes, August 23rd, Ride Report

Postby Corky78 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:22 pm

Starting point: Rykas, Box Hill
All met up at various stages of the morning - a couple of faces we'd seen before, and one completely new (but already a TRF member :D ) off road rider, with brand new and sparkling boots and bike.....the challenge was set to get them looking used by the end of the day, which I think we achieved, right Jonathan?! ;)

Quick chat before heading off and we started the usual loop from Bocketts, taking in Hogden, Beggars, Wolverns, Leith Hill, Pisley and Lowerhouse. Everyone was riding really well.

The rain began at Pisley but wasn't holding us up and we were making good progress, so we headed out and took in Lions Lane and completed Hook Street, until the turn around at the bottom, without issue. It has been re-graded for the majority but still very slippery in the middle. It was our return of this Lane that Trickey and I turned up back at the road on our own.....and waited....and waited a bit more before I decided to head back and see what happened. Unfortunately, the lane had got the better of NickT and he'd fallen badly on his shoulder and was laying in a ditch. Turns out, he's broken his arm just below shoulder :( We recovered both Nick and his bike back to the stables on the corner of the lane and road, where we met a very nice lady who offered help to call an ambulance and to store his bike until he could collect again.

We stayed with Nick until the ambulance turned up, wished Nick well on his way, and carried on with the rest of the ride. By this time, the rain had dispersed and the sun was back out again. We took in the UCR at the crossways, another Lane with no name and joined up to Madgehole/Ride. Then onto another lane with no name that joins onto Ponds.

As we'd had a long stop, we missed Newlands and headed straight to London Lane, stopping at the bottom to warn of the hazards! It was very slippery but we all made it up in one piece - Jonathan arriving at the top with a huge grin on his face, Marc with sweat pouring from his!! From there we headed to Fullers Farm lane, then out to the A246 where Marc departed for home where his two stroke oil was based (meaning he couldn't fill up and was running out of fuel!) and Jason departed for home also. Silkmore was the next on the list, then Green Lane West, where I managed to rescue a full sideways kick out of the rear wheel....cue heart in throat! We took in Hyde Lane, that was very wet, and then onto Elm Lane. Every time I have ridden Elm lane to date, the "puddle" in the middle has been very deep, but today, on approach, it didn't look that bad - so I went for it! It's like riding a bucking bronco but was REAL fun! Jonathon came next with a big handful of throttle, followed by Trickey, straight down the middle of the water, but both safely through. Bev then followed, sticking to the sides in the hope it was a little shallower! It wasn't and her bike nearly fully submerged before emerging on the other side! Matt brought up the rear, and swallowed a mouthful of the muddy water in the process! It was so much fun, we turned around and did it again!!

Satisfied that Jonathan and his once pristine bike was now suitably covered in mud, and his smile going from ear to ear, we let him head for home in the knowledge he'd had a good first day out with the TRF :lol:

That left 4, who headed down to Sheepwalk, back to Hogden and Bocketts to return safely to Rykas. Great day weather wise, good company, good lanes, good pace, great fun.

Get well soon Nick - the rest of the group didn't miss out on any lanes planned and we ALL wanted to stay with you until we knew you were OK and in good hands.

This was advertised as an EASY/NEW ride, but I felt all should be confident to progress to the next INBETWEENER level, as all were more than capable.

Next ride advertised soon :D
Corky

KTM 450 EXC 2006

mudeevee
750 flat tracker

Re: Surrey Lanes, August 23rd, Ride Report

Postby mudeevee » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:21 pm

Nice write up! Well done for leading. Good job.

Derek

NickT
120cc Thumpstar Pro

Postby NickT » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:06 pm

I had an operation on Wednesday. My arm is now screwed and plated. My surgeon says it was quite a serious break and at one point was considering replacing the ball joint. Thanks to everyone for their help and support on the day.

Beerbelly
750 flat tracker

Postby Beerbelly » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:30 pm

Oooo sounds horrid

mudeevee
750 flat tracker

Postby mudeevee » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:56 am

NickT wrote:I had an operation on Wednesday. My arm is now screwed and plated. My surgeon says it was quite a serious break and at one point was considering replacing the ball joint. Thanks to everyone for their help and support on the day.

Sounds painful. Speedy recovery matey!

stevent
1150 adventurer

Postby stevent » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:58 pm

Nick
Best wishes and hope you get better quickly.
Hope you have paid sick leave too.
All the best
Steven

kris
LIFE member

Postby kris » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:31 am

NickT wrote:I had an operation on Wednesday. My arm is now screwed and plated. My surgeon says it was quite a serious break and at one point was considering replacing the ball joint. Thanks to everyone for their help and support on the day.

Sorry to hear that nick and get well soon. That said the silver lining is you are a shoe in for the worst green road injury 2015 at our annual awards ceremony

Corky78
350cc Veteran

Postby Corky78 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:24 pm

Glad you're on the mend Nick - get well soon
Corky

KTM 450 EXC 2006

NickT
120cc Thumpstar Pro

Postby NickT » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:33 pm

Today was checkup day. X-ray shows plate and screws, massive bone void and calcium insert. The good news is that everything is still where the surgeon put it 3 weeks ago. Not so good news is that range of movement will be permanently reduced and I'm looking at over a year of recovery time. Next checkup in 5 weeks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mudeevee
750 flat tracker

Postby mudeevee » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:26 pm

Here's hoping for a speedy and full recovery matey!

Return to “Ride Reports”