2015 Witley 100 LDT October 18th

Give your thanks, tell a story, reflect on the good times.
gavinskii
400cc Thumper

2015 Witley 100 LDT October 18th

Postby gavinskii » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:02 pm

Last Sunday saw the running of the 2015 Witley 100 LDT (Long Distance Trail) an event which fell off the calendar in 2014, but I am pleased to see was very strongly supported.

In essence it is a 100 mile day of greenlaning, with 10 fairly basic "trials" sections.

To enter one of these events, you need to:-
1) Buy an ACU Trials licence - you can do this online from the ACU Website and it's £10 for the calendar year.
2) You need to be a member of an motorcycle club affiliated to the ACU - I can recommend joining Witley as it's local, costs £10 for 12 months membership and you can join online!!

The event was scheduled to start at 9am and there was to be a briefing at 8.46am and the requirement to have all bikes in the Parc Ferme by 8.45am (to avoid penalty points).

I had a great journey over and was at the starting point in a very large field just outside of Odiham by 7.40am. This gave me plenty of relaxed time to register (show your cards), get the bike unloaded, get kitted up and have a bit of breakfast from the catering van + chew the fat with competitors and marshalls.

Following the briefing 3 riders per minute were set forth on Section 1. (I was riding with Kevin and a mate who was doing his first LDT and had travelled South from Rugby!) This section involved having to travel around a marked circuit in the field at a given average speed for the full 1.4mile loop. It didn't take long for word to spread around the competitors that this task equated to completing the circuit in 4mins 30 Sec exactly. Too fast of too slow and you pick up penalty points!
Not having a stopwatch, mileometer or speedometer on my bike added to the challenge and I ended up with 3 points for completing the circuit in just over 5 mins! Oh well it's a bit of fun!

We then left the field and followed the roadbook for 65 miles. From recollection we took in 6 Sections in the morning and 4 in the afternoon.

Section 2 soon arrived and it involved riding between the flags (Blue on the left and red on the right) which crisscrossed a rutted muddy track with a few level changes. I set off cautiously and within 30 seconds I had hit the end of the section...no dabs....great.....oh no....Bo**ox I missed a gate :oops: 5 points :(

More riding along fantastic green lanes and more sections thrown in....I can't remember them all, but one of them was an "engine off" section. Essentially you were given the signal to set off and paddle your bike for 5 metres before letting gravity do it's thing down a steepish hill with a blind bend. At the lowest point was a wet muddy bog, then you started to climb out the other side and the futher you went up the other side, the less penalty points you picked up!

Later on we came to a section marshalled by Sean Stubble & Dave Plumb. It involved some tight turns around trees and tree stumps and up and down a little some muddy ground, I was delighted to complete this with just 1 dab!

By about 1.30pm our group were back to the start point and strategically decided to take the "Speed Test" before lunch ( as full bellies and cold muscles would possibly affect our sporting prowess!). The speed test involved going around the same 1.4mile circuit as the morning, but this time as fast as you could. the track was nicely bermed up by now and even with my less aggressive trials tyres it was a really good laugh and I was pleased with my time (which would be used to determine a points tie breaker).

With that test out of the way it was time for a trip to the catering van for a decent egg & bacon burger bap washed down with a cup of tea and a 20 minute break.

Our finely nurtured bodies were ready for the final 35 miles and 4 remaining sections. However this afternoons sections were marshalled by a few more familiar faces from Surrey TRF (no pressure there then :roll: )

More great lanes and suddenly I spot Mr MuddyVee marshalling a Section which looked pretty tricky. Essentially follow the route (without dropping into a muddy rut) which was a little muddy and wet, which turned uphill and went left around a little tree, then a quich right before decending and through a final set of markers. Fantastic another clean for me!!

A few metres up the track another familiar face young Tricky doing the marshalling of the next section. Full of confidence following my previous success I started off well, then disaster I hadn't read the course very well and was now facing a steep uphill climb at the wrong angle and speed ...oh well...in for a penny :roll: no good, I rolled back slightly and took an instant 5 :evil:

A few more miles of excellent lanes and we were back at the starting point. A quick sign off, a word of thanks to a few of the assembled Witley organisiers and load up and away back in time to jet wash the bike off and hot shower before dinner.

What a great day :D

The results are now in and big congratulations to all the Surrey TRf entrants Kev took the fewest points on 13, "Special Dave" 15, Me 16, Charlie 19, Snapper Si 22, "El Presidente" Steve T 23, Haydn 23 and Chris Avery on the mighty Serow 64 (Chris I can only presume you had some mechanical issues ....perhaps you can fill us in).

Despite all the doom and gloom about losing local lanes, we are really lucky to have all these on our doorstep.

When you next hear of an LDT event, do enter they are huge fun 8-)

kevpg
400cc Thumper

Re: 2015 Witley 100 LDT October 18th

Postby kevpg » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:06 pm

Excellent write up Gavin and a great fun day out. Many thanks to all the other Surrey TRF members who helped make this event happen.

Cheers
Kev

Corky78
350cc Veteran

Postby Corky78 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:13 pm

Also from the TRF was Jonathan (16), also on a powerful Serrow (so powerful it threw the chain off and spat the rider off on the speed trial!), BeerBelly Charlie and Matt78 (19) and then me, shamefully bringing up the rear (23). Matt78 ran straight through a section without realising, which had he been petani loses, he would have finished behind me, but karma got him, and he fell off on one of the last few lanes into a very deep muddy puddle!!

Cracking day full of muddy good honest fun :-)
Corky

KTM 450 EXC 2006

Dave
250cc

Postby Dave » Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:19 pm

Forgot Simon who had a very respectable 22

gavinskii
400cc Thumper

Postby gavinskii » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:41 pm

specialDave wrote:Forgot Simon who had a very respectable 22

No, that's "Snapper Si" Dave .....keep up :roll:

muckybear
250cc Trail Rider

Postby muckybear » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:40 pm

Well got there nice and early signed on :D , was off at 09:42 on the average speed test, managed more by luck than judgement to incur no penalties, so off on the route.
Having never used a "Day Book" before it took a bit of time to get the hang of it and trying to keep the mental additions for the trip meter in my head while concentrating where I was going.
Also struggling with my new Varifocals and remembering which number box I was on.
Went wrong a few times but realized and soon got back on track.
Got to the first "Trial" section, Fell Off 5 :lol: . got a 5 on the next section, but starting to get the hang of things.
Got to the part where it said "Caution Deep Water - Keep Left On The Bank" did that OK but did not realize there was another big Very Deep Puddle :mrgreen:
You all know my penchant for being out of my depth in water :lol: . Saw the water alright, but didn't see the bank on the left till it was too late :o .
Down & down I went, lost the engine. Tried to push out and stepped into a hole presumable dug by a 4 x 4 up to my waist.
A couple of nice guys stopped and finally helped me get it out.
Spent a bit of time to get it started. Well half started, more like a 3 legged camel.
Got to the road a decided the best thing was to stick to the road :idea: .
After a few miles it started running a bit better, then I saw a couple of other competitors so asked them where I was on the route sheet and continued on the course back to the start/lunch.
I was now cold wet and completely knackered and like a wimp I retired.
I enjoyed my self and learned a bit, if omly what not to do :oops: .
Will I do it again?
Being a bit soft in the head YES !!! 8-)
I was 152nd, but not last as there were 26 people behind me. They must have been bad. :roll:

Chris Avery / Muckybear

Return to “Ride Reports”