Surrey TRF @ Wey Valley Advanced Motorcyclists

Give your thanks, tell a story, reflect on the good times.
TonyR
400cc Thumper

Surrey TRF @ Wey Valley Advanced Motorcyclists

Postby TonyR » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:48 pm

On Sunday 5th February Surrey TRF were invited to lead a run for interested Wey Valley Advanced Motorcyclist members around the lanes and byways of the Surrey Hills.
Steve McCormick is actively involved with both groups and organised our presence on Wey Valley's "Observed Sunday", (a regular event held on the first Sunday of every month where your road riding skills are assessed by qualified observers)

Brian Cohen and I put ourselves forward to lead runs, so we duly turned up at 09.30 for a cup of tea and a bacon sarnie from the kitchen while we waited to see how many people would take us up on our offer. Luckily there were several that turned up on bikes that were suitable and we were split into two groups of four.
Brian led a run of smaller capacity bikes heading for Polesden Lacey, and I took the rally raid styled (KTM690 and BMW Xchallenge x2) bike group out and did a circular route of approximately 40 miles via West Horsley, Gomshall, Coldharbour, Leith Hill, Walliswood, Shere, and then back to Ripley.

The lanes were very wet and muddy with huge puddles of stagnant water to negotiate, but all of these things add to the fun of riding the lanes, and need all of your riding skills to get through safely. However our day wasn't without it's problems and we found ourselves at the furthest point away from Ripley with Mark having a flat back tyre, thankfully these experienced chaps had everything to deal with such a problem and a plan of action was quickly established, with Nathan and Mark rolling their sleeves up getting stuck in removing the rear wheel and changing the tube with remarkable skill and speed.
And Dave offering helpful guidance from the sidelines :roll:
I of course couldn't help on this occasion as I needed to see how WVAM riders cope in this situation ;)

We were a little late back to Ripley Village Hall to meet Brians group but everyone had a smile on their face.

It was good fun and we had a great day.

Tony

IMG_1528 c.jpg
IMG_1530c.jpg
IMG_1531c.jpg

(For those of you that are unaware, Ripley also host's another motorcycle group, Wey Valley Advanced Motorcyclists. There are several Surrey TRF members, myself included, that are involved in both groups)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

stevent
1150 adventurer

Re: Surrey TRF @ Wey Valley Advanced Motorcyclists

Postby stevent » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:58 pm

Really good to see our Group and Wey Valley IAM getting together. Thanks for the write up Tony.

John w
250cc Trail Rider

Postby John w » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:20 pm

Well done guys. I keep telling the road riders the best way to improve machine control is with a bit of off road riding.
It was therefore really great to see you got a decent number of interested people. There are a bunch of us that are members of both, but some of us are busy with the running of the day to come out and play with you on Observed Sunday :|

Gotta laugh at Dave just watching. He is really good at that :lol:

Incidentally, if any of you are considering joining WVAM and taking your advanced test, they are currently offering a 10% discount on the cost of Skills for Life (now rebadged Advanced Rider Course).
Either send an email to [email protected] or pop along to the next observed Sunday on 5th March.

smccormick
350cc Veteran

Postby smccormick » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:07 pm

Very good and my thanks to Tony and Brian.

More to follow in April. I'm away for March observed Sunday but anyone want to lead out again shout up and I'll post it onto WVAM forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kris
LIFE member

Postby kris » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:17 pm

Brilliant stuff .. we have some LAM (london advanced motorcyclists) on the thread as well .... some of which are kent trf as well (hello Rod !)

Return to “Ride Reports”