Witley Classic Enduro - SEEC Enduro

Give your thanks, tell a story, reflect on the good times.
ShaunGASGAS300

Witley Classic Enduro - SEEC Enduro

Postby ShaunGASGAS300 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:25 pm

So as some of you know I "competed" in the Witley classic enduro Sunday 19th. Though i would give a quick report in case other people wanted to enter them in the future or wanted a bit of info ect.

This was the first enduro that I have entered and was a little worried after people said it was the hardest of the year and to just to complete it would be a feat in itself.

This was a time card enduro, basically, you have x amount of time to do each lap. Each lap of the witley was split into 2 loops. The first loop had to be completed in 40 minutes and the second loop in 60 minutes. As a sportsman (Novice) we had to do two laps (4 loops) so 3 hours and 20 minutes in total. As you go up to clubman B it's an extra one loop, so half a lap, then another loop when you go to the next level and so on and so forth. The champion class had 6 hours of riding in total.

You get given a start time, (Mine was 10:44) as 4 rides leave every one minute. Once you have a start time and lap time you write these on a bit of duct tap and stick on your bike. Looking something like the below

Start loop 1 - 10:44
Start loop 2 - 11:24 (IE 40 mitures to complete loop 1)
Start loop 3 - 12:24
Start loop 4 - 13:04
Finish time - 14:04

If for example, you finished loop one in 50 minutes (Ten minutes over) you carry those to the next lap so they would look a bit like this

Start loop 1 - 10:44
Start loop 2 - 11:34
Start loop 3 - 12:34
Start loop 4 - 13:14
Finish time - 14:14

Once you have finished the final loop you wait until the time is up (60 minutes from the moment you register starting that loop) and register the device through another checkpoint to end your day. Remember not to end as soon as you are back, if you are back early.

If you were to complete loop one in say 30 minutes then you get to spend those ten spare minutes in the pits grabbing food and water ect. Then when your time is up you have to pass through the start of the next loop and register your transponder (A watch that you put on your right wrist that the organiser gives you) you have to pass through the gate at your exact time. If you pass through early or late you get penalty points. (There is a giant digital clock in the pits where the two checkpoints are to you can always see that)

On loop one there was one special test and on loop 2 there were 2 special tests. On the first lap these were sighting laps ie not timed. Every lap afterward were timed.

The special test were motocross styles with one having various trees going across that you had to hop over. these were maybe 2-3 feet off the ground (thickness)

A few things that worried me
1. Getting lost
-This was not possible, the track was so well laid out that it was easy to follow and any t junctions you came to had arrows and normally tape blocking one way off so you didn't go the wrong way.

2. faster riders pushing past ect
-Faster riders behind would wait till there was somewhere you could move over to and give you a few revs or horn, you move over and as they went past they all said thank you. Nobody was pushing past aggressively or dangerously.

3. Getting stuck
- how easy that was to happen, pick the wrong line and get trapped in mud! Other competitors in the same sort of level would always be near by (As they would have set off around the same sort of time) they were always happy to help, and you need to do the same to other rides. It works both ways.

Marshalls were constantly going around the track and again, got stuck into helping you in seconds. Marshalls and fellow races helped me out a few times and i repaid that by helping a few races out myself.

4. It being too hard
It was difficult, without a doubt, but there weren't any obstacles that were impossible. There were a few small hill climbs and a few logs that needed some concentration but they were all achievable. Once you had done the first lap you knew what to expect so could prepare yourself better the next time. I got caught trying to get over a log on the first lap but on the second hopped straight over it knowing it was coming.

You do need to pick your lines and work out where you want to go and how so you don't get stuck but with a bit of practice should get easier.

After 2 and a half hours I could have called it a day as I was knackered, it really does drain all your energy both physically and mentally, expect your core abs to hurt, hand and shoulders to burn but if you push through and complete the event you will be glad you did.

I did complete the full amount of laps, albeit I think I was about ten minutes over the total time as I got caught in two bogs that took a good ten minutes to get out of.

I would definitely recommend people to try it at least once. It gives you the chance to ride on land that you never would get to use otherwise, there is no roadwork and puts you against obstacles that you don't normally see, ie hill climbs and jumping over logs ect.

I will be entering all the other enduro this year myself.

Items that you MUST take with you or have fitted
Hand guards (I prefer the none metals one as they allow more flexibility when hiting trees so it doesn't force your handlebars to turn)
A nice clean and freshly oiled air filter
FIM marked tyres (Must be enduro tyres) on the rear. The front can be any
An environmental matt (it absorbs petrol to prevent damage to ground, you must use this when refueling)
a jerry can (I could have easily got round the full day without topping up but put a quick 5 liters in before starting the last loop just to be safe)
FOOD!! bananas, jelly babies, nuts ect
Lots of fluids!
ACU Licence (Yearly is £48 or a day licence is £15)

That's about as much as I can think of right now, if any one has any questions then feel free to ask.

It was a great event, put together extremely well and I take my hat off to the organisers for doing such a good job.

I'm looking forward to the rest of them this year
Shaun

TonyR
400cc Thumper

Re: Witley Classic Enduro - SEEC Enduro

Postby TonyR » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:11 pm

Well done Shaun, kudos to you mate. Great ride report, I enjoyed reading it!

mudeevee
750 flat tracker

Postby mudeevee » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:16 pm

Yep - well done Shaun!

This year you had probably the best weather possible - bonus for it not to be snowing!

Great effort. :D :D

kris
LIFE member

Postby kris » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:51 pm

but did you beat hobbsie ....that is the current challenge laid down by sausage fingers on the snow run :-)

mudeevee
750 flat tracker

Postby mudeevee » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:41 pm

kris wrote:but did you beat hobbsie ....that is the current challenge laid down by sausage fingers on the snow run :-)

He He He'll be furious! :D

Mouseman
350cc Veteran

Postby Mouseman » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:36 am

Well done Shaun, just entering one of these for the first time earns you praise....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mouseman
350cc Veteran

Postby Mouseman » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:39 am

mudeevee wrote:
kris wrote:but did you beat hobbsie ....that is the current challenge laid down by sausage fingers on the snow run :-)

He He He'll be furious! :D

No one was beating Hobbsie, he was on fire...
3rd place in his class. Vet 'B'
Well done to all who took part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gavinskii
400cc Thumper

Postby gavinskii » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:00 pm

Well done Shaun .....huge respect for completing this + nice write up!

stevent
1150 adventurer

Postby stevent » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:48 pm

Here here, well done and thanks for taking the time to write up

trickey
400cc Thumper

Postby trickey » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:24 pm

Yes well done Shaun and an informed write up too.Are the results out yet.?

ShaunGASGAS300

Postby ShaunGASGAS300 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:34 am

trickey wrote:Yes well done Shaun and an informed write up too.Are the results out yet.?

They are but I was DSQ for smoking in the pit area :( Apparently, that is a no-no, but, at least I know for the future. To be honest I was so tired at the time and I was about ten minutes late on that loop that I was smoking, eating and drinking all at the same time to get back out as quick as possible to complete the final loop of the day.

I am doing the hare and hound at Butser limes in two weeks so I'll give a write up of that as well so people can see the differences between the enduro and hare and hounds.

One thing I would say is that if you do want to enter one you have to be dam quick because spaces go within 24 hours normally. The next one is 21st May and I think entry opens beginning of march

Billy
woz bus pass

Postby Billy » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:46 pm

Bloody hell, disqualified for having a fag in the pits, full of petrol cans in the middle of a forest !!! What sort of retards are running these events.............

Return to “Ride Reports”