First Ride Accident Report!

Give your thanks, tell a story, reflect on the good times.
19col58
350cc Veteran

Postby 19col58 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:37 am

I took my mate Pete out on Saturday, on his new (to him) wr250f.
17545400_1296840177047869_5202556249442026059_o.jpg

Pete has very little off tarmac experience (none for at least 20 years) but did O.K. on Silkmore, Fullers Farm, Sheepwalk, Beggars and Wolvens Lanes. We stopped at the Cricket Ground on Leith Hill for a drink and a chat. We left Leith Hill did Pisley Lane down to Walliswood up to Ewhurst and on to Madgehole Lane. This is where our problems started, Pete was getting tired and had a few offs on the muddy bits of Madgehole, we carried on up Toe Breaker, Pond Lane to Shere and then on to Albury and Water Lane with no offs and stopped at Newlands Corner for Tea and Medals. We decided that we would head home from there but I wanted to do London Lane so we went back down Water Lane through Albury to Shere through the car park on to London Lane. I went under the A25 bridge and up the hill I checked over my shoulder and no sign of Pete, I turned round and went back down the hill and saw Pete sitting next to his bike by the bridge. he'd obviously come off big time!
Image001.jpg

Having been to the Biker Down training the evening before I knew Petes airway was viable due to the amount of swearing he was doing! He had come off and landed on his back very hard and was obviously was in a lot of pain and was winded, there was no bleeding, he was moving his arms and legs and breathing freely so I decided he didn't need any first aid from me but should I call an ambulance? Pete was adamant he didn't need to go to hospital but wasn't sure he could ride home, we decided that we should wait a while and see how he felt after 10 minutes or so. Now I turned my attention to his bike, the photo above has actually been rotated 90 degrees and should look like this;
Image000.jpg

How did he manage to do that! It seems that as it was a very sunny day Pete had put on his reactolite sunglasses, fine until he went from very bright sunshine into total blackness under the bridge! He then hit a log under the bridge which threw him into the wall,bounced off the wall and into a large stone block which chucked him off and his bike up the tree where it stayed! I guess at some point Pete had grabbed a handful of throttle and was totally out of control. Because the bike stayed in the tree it didn't damage itself (or Pete!) when it came back down. I pulled the bike down out of the tree and parked it, running over my brand new O'neale hemet on the way!
Back to Pete, he said he had recovered enough to ride back to my house about 6 miles from Shere but only if I would start his bike for him (kickstart only, no electric!). Having been stood on its back wheel for quite a while it took a good few kicks to get it going and in the process it kicked back, bruised my foot and tore a gash about 40mm long in my (thick leather) trials boot!
Eventually I got it going and we set off back to my house,we arrived there with no more problems but Pete was obviously still in considerable pain. After some persuading from my partner Pete agreed I should take him to A+E at the Royal Surrey so off we went. By this time it was about 4:30 and I thought that A+E would be really busy but was suprised to see only about 8 people in the waiting room. But it still took about 3 hours after being assessed by a senior nurse for Pete to be seen by a Doctor who decided that Pete should have C.T. scan to check for possible kidney or spleen damage. After the scan another wait until the Doctor had time to look at it, fortunately there was no organ damage but it did show 3 cracked ribs and a possible
pneumothorax (air outside of the lung)! Another wait before the Surgical Team had a look at the scan and decided that there was no need to operate but that Pete should stay in overnight for observation.
I'm pleased to say Pete was O.K. apart from the ribs and was allowed out Sunday morning. He says its not put him off and he will be getting back out trailriding and joining the T.R.F soon.

If only I hadn't insisted on going up London Lane!

Colin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Stewie
1150 adventurer

Re: First Ride Accident Report!

Postby Stewie » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:37 am

Yep, all the signs were there, not ridden for 20 years off the black stuff, few more offs later in the day, and a tricky lane last thing.
Glad he's not to badly hurt, and the ribs heal up quickly.
Off the beaten track!.

stevent
1150 adventurer

Postby stevent » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:22 am

Someone file this under candidates for best off award 2017!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

big yellow tractor
400cc Thumper

Postby big yellow tractor » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:51 am

Glad that Pete is OK.

Last time I took a newbie out, I only let him do a couple of hours. When I suggested it at the start of the run, he was a little put out and was sure he'd manage the whole day but when the time came, he was sensible enough to admit he was really quite knackered. We forget how hard it is to come from tarmac to muck.

burls
400cc Thumper

Postby burls » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:56 am

Glad Pete is OK.

I'm very worried about the bike though. Is it OK? ;)

smokinrider
250cc Trail Rider

Postby smokinrider » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:39 am

Last time I took 3 newbies out (back in Feb) I highsided on a chalky climb breaking my wrist in 3 places. As it was first lane we all carried on. The next 120 miles were somewhat uncomfortable but I didn't want to let any one down! (Dedication us run leaders show!)

gavinskii
400cc Thumper

Postby gavinskii » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:42 pm

Ouch!

Nice RR though ;)

kris
LIFE member

Postby kris » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:25 pm

stevent wrote:Someone file this under candidates for best off award 2017!

Double award .. off road injury AND hilarious post ... well done Sir !!

Return to “Ride Reports”