Sunday 7th - Bev's Ride @ Dorking

Give your thanks, tell a story, reflect on the good times.
Dave
250cc

Postby Dave » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:56 pm

I was in Brighton on the 6th. Sunny they said. HAH! At least I wasn't in shorts like some of the other fools who flocked to the pier to be harassed by the chilling winds on a mostly overcast day.

But Sunday was B - E - A UTIFUL!

Bev suggested a bunch of us go out riding the lanes local to her so she could become more familiar with them and I'm damn glad we did. Bruski led a sensible pace and we did a short loop, not heading too far south.

The slower pace on such a refreshingly sunny day was a welcome change and chance to just enjoy being out; having a bit of a play with the bikes and plenty of stops for chat and discussing riding technique. At the slower speeds we could practise riding the front wheel against ruts, and then the rear wheel (Grant calls this 'grinding') against the rut whilst the front is out, to pick up a feel for the bike at a potentially chaotic positions, getting used to it so when it happens at speed it's more familiar & manageable. At one of the brake locations we put a log down and tried popping the wheel over it - I still need more practise at this :roll: I've got to say though, Bev said it was her second ride which was mental because she rode better than self proclaimed riding god Stevee B!

We seemed to have a lot of luck during the day and the conditions were really good. Bits of soft mud, some sandy bits and some dusty bits. Lots of horse sh** everywhere but I think we only stopped for one. There were two opportunities to negotiate around 4x4s stuck & blocking on the lane as well which was quite fun riding up the bank to get around. We stopped for lunch at that big posh pub next to Wotton Village Hall which was pretty good. Prices are quite high but the food was very tasty to match it.

Pisley lane is great at the moment by the way. The whoops are exceptional.

All in all the day was evidence that riding with the TRF makes for good company and good times.

Cheers for the ride guys & gal is was a good laugh hanging out. Nice to see Khaotic again too :mrgreen:

EDIT: Also I'm pretty sure I saw Ian Pierce steam-rolling past us on Madge Hole Lane at the speed of a fighter jet... Bright green jacket and yellow lid. :lol:

G-Bru
You should've bought a KTM!

Re: Sunday 7th - Bev's Ride @ Dorking

Postby G-Bru » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:01 pm

Nice ride report bruv! Twas a lurvly day indeed. Really enjoyed the slower pace and all the little chat stops. I tell you something those lanes sure look different when they are dry, it was like I had never ridden them before and loved all the extra grip.

Much dirty looks from ramblers! Perhaps they don't understand the definition of a byway?????

G
Grant

KTM 250EXC SixDays

Dave
250cc

Postby Dave » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:59 pm

Much amusement and laughter was there within my helmet when I saw one lot scowling with a couple shrugging, arms raised, looking at a byway sign with laminate signage clearly not understanding what any of it means.

But no worries, I have high hopes for Darwin's theory of evolution.

I'd defo be up for more back marking in the you're if he weather is that good again though. :)

Dominic
500cc MXER

Postby Dominic » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:10 pm

Your "slower pace" was my white knuckle pace... Still, not bad for an accountant eh? :)

It was a great day and I too was thoroughly impressed with Bev considering it was only her second ride after she injured herself on the first! The highlight for me was making it around a corner just in time to see G-bru picking himself and bike up after a bit too much "grinding"... Next time stay down long enough for some pics ok buddy? :). I enjoyed my 5 minutes on Dave's looney stroker too. Must do that again.

G-Bru
You should've bought a KTM!

Postby G-Bru » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:35 pm

Khaotik wrote:I enjoyed my 5 minutes on Dave's looney stroker too. Must do that again.

Hmmmm.... You need to edit this comment my bru! It's a little to explicit for the younger and senior folk! ; p

G
Grant

KTM 250EXC SixDays

BevH
350cc Veteran

Postby BevH » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:24 am

Truly an enjoyable ride. It was my first one after my knee injury and 4th with TRF I believe. This one wass a little drier compared to the first 3 I must admit and some lanes were unrecognisable without the mud and rivers runing through them!
Tks again for your patience and riding tips.
Bev

Return to “Ride Reports”